U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 10:09 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,952,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
so he deserved to be killed for non violent arrests, some not even convictions, is that what you're trying to say? i agree in that black men should minimize their interactions with cops for their own safety.

Did I say that, no. But the guy had a long record, at some point you figured he would have knocked it off, or as Chris Rock said "I wouldn't do that **** if I were you."

If you find yourself breaking the law, STOP breaking the law. That's a good first step, regardless of what you feel about the laws or whether you think the war on drugs is stupid, the laws are still there to be enforced.

When you don't break the law, you improve your odds greatly of not winding up shot or dead, from police or other people breaking the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:13 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,118,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Did I say that, no. But the guy had a long record, at some point you figured he would have knocked it off, or as Chris Rock said "I wouldn't do that **** if I were you."

If you find yourself breaking the law, STOP breaking the law. That's a good first step, regardless of what you feel about the laws or whether you think the war on drugs is stupid, the laws are still there to be enforced.

When you don't break the law, you improve your odds greatly of not winding up shot or dead, from police or other people breaking the law.
your post is victim blaming nonsense. why were they pursuing him in the first place? what laws were being broken? how come a lot of his arrests didn't end in conviction? and, finally, even if he was doing something illegal, the police broke this man's spine and caused his death. that is not their job, whether someone is breaking the law or not. goohwtbs

Old 04-28-2015, 10:13 PM

5,941 posts, read 2,707,740 times
Quote:
yes, i remember when Mike Brown, Trayvon and Tamir Rice went to Rikers that time
This thread seems to be about a Police arrest and what happened to him. I don't see any mention of Thugs and Robbers who assaulted a person that had a gun. This is nothing like Brown and Martin.

This is about lack of training or lack of common sense, for not providing Medical Aid when it was asked for, and dragging an injured man to a van like cargo, and tossing him inside. That was plain stupid.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Get a grip man, what on earth are you referring to?
i am referencing the ignorance and stupidity of half of the people on this thread who blame black male victims for their own deaths.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:25 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,952,351 times
Quote:
your post is victim blaming nonsense. why were they pursuing him in the first place? what laws were being broken? how come a lot of his arrests didn't end in conviction? and, finally, even if he was doing something illegal, the police broke this man's spine and caused his death. that is not their job, whether someone is breaking the law or not. goohwtbs

He's a guy who had a long rap sheet, who simply couldn't stay out of trouble. Did he deserve to die for that, absolutely not, regardless of the veracity of this report, the policy at minimum acted with tremendous callousness and neglect for not getting him medical attention.

That said, at some point, this stuff needs to be a wakeup call for people to stop breaking the law and making situations like this all the more likely. It's not about victim-blaming, its about being smart and not doing **** that will get you into repeated and regular contact with police and judges, as well as put your life on the line with other people who are breaking the law. Out of all the murder victims in Baltimore in 2014, the absolute vast majority were black men, and it certainly wasn't the police doing the absolute vast majority of the killings.

Quote:
It does not help, either, that Baltimore is one of the most dangerous cities in America. Its murder rate in 2013 was 37 per 100,000—worse than South Africa’s. In one week of June of that year, the city saw ten murders and 28 shootings among a population of just 622,000. Baltimore is a city where young black men are occasionally killed by the police—and where most days a young black man is murdered by another young black man.
Race and criminal justice: The lessons of Baltimore | The Economist

Old 04-28-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
This thread seems to be about a Police arrest and what happened to him. I don't see any mention of Thugs and Robbers who assaulted a person that had a gun. This is nothing like Brown and Martin.

This is about lack of training or lack of common sense, for not providing Medical Aid when it was asked for, and dragging an injured man to a van like cargo, and tossing him inside. That was plain stupid.
the post i responded to specifically said that in cases like these the "criminals" seem to have priors or run, as if that excuses police brutality. so Tamir Rice was a thug and robber? no, the same lack of training and common sense runs through so many police departments in this country. They are all related.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
He's a guy who had a long rap sheet, who simply couldn't stay out of trouble. Did he deserve to die for that, absolutely not, regardless of the veracity of this report, the policy at minimum acted with tremendous callousness and neglect for not getting him medical attention.

That said, at some point, this stuff needs to be a wakeup call for people to stop breaking the law and making situations like this all the more likely. It's not about victim-blaming, its about being smart and not doing **** that will get you into repeated and regular contact with police and judges, as well as put your life on the line with other people who are breaking the law. Out of all the murder victims in Baltimore, the absolute vast majority were black men, and it certainly wasn't the police doing the absolute vast majority of the killings.

oh wow, black criminals killed more black people than cops. I didn't know there was a competition. I thought, maybe, because they are paid with tax payer money, the cops might be held to a higher standard than criminals. i guess not.

and what about all the law abiding black men killed by police? what is your advice for them? stay inside? don't open the door? this guy was a petty criminal and now he is dead instead of in court or jail for any crimes he committed, because these cops are the real criminals.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:32 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,463,412 times
Quote:

That said, at some point, this stuff needs to be a wakeup call for people to stop breaking the law and making situations like this all the more likely. It's not about victim-blaming, its about being smart and not doing **** that will get you into repeated and regular contact with police and judges, as well as put your life on the line with other people who are breaking the law. Out of all the murder victims in Baltimore in 2014, the absolute vast majority were black men, and it certainly wasn't the police doing the absolute vast majority of the killings.

So if he didn't deserve to die and this thread is about him dying, why bring up his long rap sheet?

Old 04-28-2015, 10:38 PM

5,582 posts, read 4,355,982 times
Quote:
i am referencing the ignorance and stupidity of half of the people on this thread who blame black male victims for their own deaths.
A majority of the dead young black males referenced in prior threads had a hand in their own deaths by either resisting, fighting or running from the police. I'm not saying that they deserved to die however chances are that if try complied with the arresting officer they would probably be alive to tell it to the judge.
A prime example is Mike Brown, the dude assaulted a police officer and tried to take his gun. That video of him strong arming that bodega owner was all I needed to see to know about what really happened.happened

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 04-28-2015 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: Add paragraph.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:41 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,463,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
A majority of the dead young black males referenced in prior threads had a hand in their own deaths by either resisting, fighting or running from the police. I'm not saying that they deserved to die however chances are that if try complied with the arresting officer they would probably be alive to tell it to the judge.
If they didnt deserve to die, why reference the prior rap sheets or a "hand" in the deaths?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or