U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:47 PM

17,462 posts, read 21,304,257 times

Advertisements

The words thugs and scumbags should be given a series of asterisks, like they do with other forbidden words on City-data!

And also with the national media!

And let's not forget: you point a finger at someone, you're pointing 4 fingers at yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,237,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I see his point. In recent years, it seems the only time I hear the word "thug" is in connection with a young black man. Most of the time, they are acting stupid and criminal when the term is used, but at the same time, I don't hear that same term employed for white criminals, and they certainly exist. It is to the point now that if I hear "thug" I instantly conjure up a picture of a 19-year old black man with baggy pants and a black knit hat. It's become a loaded term.
Yes ...... when I was young it was more often used in talking about the Mafia or any strong-arm robber. It wasn't used to include stupid but nonviolent black criminals of any type as it appears to be today, such as repeat drug dealers. But now, black men seem to have cornered the market on brutal robberies.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:15 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,059,402 times
The definition of a thug is a violent criminal.

If you're burning buildings and assaulting people, including police officers, then I consider you a violent criminal.

I could not care less what color your skin is.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:17 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,059,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I see his point. In recent years, it seems the only time I hear the word "thug" is in connection with a young black man. Most of the time, they are acting stupid and criminal when the term is used, but at the same time, I don't hear that same term employed for white criminals, and they certainly exist. It is to the point now that if I hear "thug" I instantly conjure up a picture of a 19-year old black man with baggy pants and a black knit hat. It's become a loaded term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
Is that all this is? Children doing something that you would not expect them to do? They're destroying parts of their city! They didn't steal a cookie from the cookie jar without permission. They didn't lie about going to a party. They are stealing! They are setting fires! They are assaulting people! This guy needs a reality check. I hope his career doesn't advance any further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
> “calling them thugs — just call them n*ggers. Just call them n*ggers."

Uh... wait... I don't get it... you DO want us to do this, or you DON'T want us to do this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Yes ...... when I was young it was more often used in talking about the Mafia or any strong-arm robber. It wasn't used to include stupid but nonviolent black criminals of any type as it appears to be today, such as repeat drug dealers. But now, black men seem to have cornered the market on brutal robberies.
There are plenty of white folks who commit violent robberies. I consider them thugs, too.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:19 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,111,254 times
Sorry, but if you're attacking bystanders and destroying property, you're most certainly a thug.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:36 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,078,425 times
I say anyone looting and arsonist are thugs as well as anyone calling for killing policeman. I'll have to say the mayor was much more clear and forceful than try to walk the line Obama. She left no doubt where she stood on those looting and arsonist. Thugs forcefully used.

Last edited by texdav; 04-29-2015 at 09:45 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 12:31 AM

713 posts, read 1,013,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Richard Sherman was called a "thug" for his celebratory, albeit inappropriate (to many) outburst following a huge win for his Seahawks. Yet, and very shortly thereafter, then-Congressman Michael Grimm was called a "tough guy" or merely condemned after actually threatening to inflict physical bodily damage, and possibly death, on a television reporter (all caught on camera).

The discrepancy in terms of when the word "thug" is used is clear to all who have their eyes open.

Now, I'll call a thug a thug, regardless of skin color. Unfortunately, not everyone does, and far too many people have decided to racialize things.
Nobody called Sherman a thug. That was a straw man argument used by him because he's a race baiting opportunist at every opportunity.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:20 AM

45,676 posts, read 18,095,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The words thugs and scumbags should be given a series of asterisks, like they do with other forbidden words on City-data! And also with the national media!
I think you are in luck with the UsA national media as it's nothing but newspeak these days.

Of course the next logical step is booking burning and banning and full media censorship. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:40 AM

822 posts, read 992,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
sounds like carl may very well be one of the posters on this forum
they are thugs. and that is being generous. anyone out to torch property, throw bricks at people, loot, damage cars is a thug at best. the councilman is basically demanding respect for the thugs but they haven't earned it by engaging in thug behavior. its a proper and generous label.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:07 AM

615 posts, read 364,254 times
I see what Stokes is saying, but if it looks like a duck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events