U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 05:33 AM

5,364 posts, read 6,001,347 times

Advertisements

I don't remember the columbine shooters being called thugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 06:07 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,496,639 times
Lol, I use "thugs", "hoodlums", and "hood rats" interchangeably.

Last edited by Pinkmani; 04-30-2015 at 06:24 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 06:11 AM

11,693 posts, read 6,286,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I've lived in Pittsburgh all of my life. There has never been a Super Bowl riot here that even remotely compares to the riots in Ferguson and Baltimore. The rest of your comparisons are probably similarly inapt.
But regardless, what's the point of looking all of this up? The rioters, looters, and vandals in Baltimore are THUGS, by the very definition of the word. Or has this become yet another WORD YOU AREN'T ALLOWED TO SAY? If we add many more to that list we'll be reduced to gesturing and grunting at each other.
All of what I wrote is suitable for comparison purposes because they show major destruction or threats, and over sports of all things for the most part (not that I'm claiming there's ever an appropriate time to riot), yet different terms are used to describe the perps taking part in those incidents vs. the incident of, say, Ferguson and Baltimore. That is my point (can you read? My point was clear from my post). The Baltimore rioters are thugs, but so were the the rioters in the many examples I listed. Yet, the national dialogue pertaining to those other rioters/violent acts didn't refer to the other perps in the other examples as such. If you can't see the discrepancy, I don't have many other words for you.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wait a second, so then what are we supposed to call the other 99% of Baltimore that despite their socioeconomic status and race didn't come out to throw rocks, loot liquor stores and burn stuff?

Frankly, it's insulting to cry racism because someone is referring to a small violent segment of the community as thugs.

Now if people are saying "all people in Baltimore are thugs" or other blanket statements like that then sure but otherwise it comes off as making excuses for bad behavior.
Mathguy: I'd like to agree with you, but can't, especially given the clear difference in language that is used by the national media/politicians/etc. to refer to white rioters (I have provided an extensive list of such riots, which happen in much greater frequency than Baltimore/Ferguson, in a previous post). These calls are just about equal treatment. Call a thug a thug. Don't (not that you're doing this personally) hold back on use of the term because of someone's race.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Nobody called Sherman a thug. That was a straw man argument used by him because he's a race baiting opportunist at every opportunity.
Yes, people did. Still, I'm curious to know what you think of everything else I wrote (you know, given that the Sherman reference was only one more than a handful of examples of unequal treatment employed through the use of that term to describe behavior, etc.).

Old 04-30-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Shhhhhhhhhh Don't tell that to those in denial about the way the term has been racialized

Old 04-30-2015, 07:09 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,048,810 times
Quote:
Yes, but that was a different type of crime altogether. That wasn't thug behavior; it was psychopath behavior.

I'd rather be a thug than a psychopath.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:23 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,535,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I say anyone looting and arsonist are thugs as well as anyone calling for killing policeman. I'll have to say the mayor was much more clear and forceful than try to walk the line Obama. She left no doubt where she stood on those looting and arsonist. Thugs forcefully used.
Here's the rub, the minute it was pointed out she used the "T" word she got on her unicycle and started back pedaling like there was a fire in front of her.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:35 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,312,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Heard him say that and just shook my head. I guess every word that isn't sunshine and roses is now somehow related somehow to bigot words.

Where will it end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWdVwt2deY4

Old 04-30-2015, 07:46 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,496,639 times
Quote:
Yes, they were called mentally disturbed or something like that. Notice how when it's a white offender, people like to use psychology to defend/excuse their actions but when it's a black offender, that person is a violent thug.

If two black guys did the Columbine shootings, they wouldn't never found the poems or drawings because they wouldn't have even thought to look for a cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events