U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 11:12 AM

6,942 posts, read 2,597,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I am sure it's similar to a voucher program. It's still a private school, it's just being paid with money from public schools. They can do whatever they want. This shows that our nation is not ready for a full scale voucher program.

To say that conclusion is a bit of a reach is putting it mildly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 11:14 AM

3,330 posts, read 1,990,067 times
Didn't most of us get a lunch that wasn't all that healthy or great back in the day once in a while? We always didn't have all sorts of fruit around or if my mom didn't go shopping, we got whatever she could put in there or find....No one snooped around the room watching us eat either...

Old 04-30-2015, 11:15 AM

5,445 posts, read 4,437,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Lunchables aren't allowed..they are are the same line as peanut butter...
Thanks for that. I definitely misread that sentence.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:19 AM

3,330 posts, read 1,990,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Thanks for that. I definitely misread that sentence.
I did too...couldn't believe they lumped peanut butter as unhealthy.. with the Lunchables....that is all my one friend's little kid eats..he won't eat lunch meat or tuna or other sandwich fillers....

Old 04-30-2015, 11:37 AM

8,547 posts, read 5,298,716 times
The thing that annoys me the most is that the people making these types of judgment calls don't necessarily have the greatest grasp on nutrition themselves. Obviously Oreos are truly unhealthy but when they ban those and then allow things like Goldfish crackers, Sun Chips, most yogurt (which is full of sugar), muffins, juice, etc. it's nothing but hypocritical. Peanut Butter, without any added sugar is not what I'd consider to be an unhealthy snack and not something that I'd put into the same category as Lunchables. Lunchables are unhealthy but not all that different from a sandwich made with deli meat, white bread and American cheese.

The schools really have no business second guessing the items that a parent packs for their child's lunch unless of course we are talking about extreme cases like when a kid comes to school with nothing but a soda and a bag of hot Cheetos or a candy bar. But when a parent is obviously making an attempt at a decent lunch and I do consider this mom's effort to be reasonable, then the school should just butt out.

When my child was in first grade, a classmate brought cookies to school for her snack. The teacher decided that cookies were not healthy and took them away and instead gave her a bag of Goldfish crackers. Not much better in terms of nutrition.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:41 AM

9,122 posts, read 4,555,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I think schools should absolutely be able to dictate the kinds of foods students eat (or don't eat) at lunch. They're the ones who have to deal with the fallout because these kids are in a sugar-fueled frenzy then crash a couple hours later. How are they supposed to teach?
Yep, I don't know how teachers in the 1950's and later managed to produce educated students, when cookies, chips, and other sugary stuff was part of almost every student's lunch.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:54 AM

6,942 posts, read 2,597,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
Didn't most of us get a lunch that wasn't all that healthy or great back in the day once in a while? We always didn't have all sorts of fruit around or if my mom didn't go shopping, we got whatever she could put in there or find....No one snooped around the room watching us eat either...
It's a feel good non solution to a problem the school can't, and frankly shouldn't do anything about. Childhood obesity starts at home where kids are glued to their tablets and XBoxes and rarely venture outside in many cases. But in a society that looks to the government(or some form of authority) to solve all of its problems, the school has to appear to be doing something about it.

It's not just the obesity either. Everything from declining education standards to increased delinquency originate in the home and are directly tied to parents who expect the village to raise their kids for them, while at the same time they never let their children out of their sight. We whine about losing our rights and freedoms while at the same time we expect daddy or mommy government to make everything better for us. A government that ships our jobs overseas and imports new immigrants to take over what few jobs are left. A government that monitors our phone calls and emails, what websites we visit and what we watch on TV. A government that we demand keeps us safe while we act surprised when it uses this mandate for its own good instead of ours. A government that keeps us at each other's throats while they rob us blind and turn us in to serfs.

This is the common thread that binds almost every issue we see in the headlines today. We are depending on a government that has its own agenda to look out for our best interests and as long as we keep doing that things will continue to get worse. This country was built on the foundation of a Constitution that was designed to protect us from an overreaching government. Over the years we have whittled away at those protections as we demanded more and more from this government until we find ourselves in a position where it is telling us how to raise our children and we are rioting in the streets begging it to protect us from itself.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:59 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,400,586 times
tofu and fiji water

Old 04-30-2015, 12:29 PM

160 posts, read 110,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
It's a feel good non solution to a problem the school can't, and frankly shouldn't do anything about. Childhood obesity starts at home where kids are glued to their tablets and XBoxes and rarely venture outside in many cases. But in a society that looks to the government(or some form of authority) to solve all of its problems, the school has to appear to be doing something about it.

It's not just the obesity either. Everything from declining education standards to increased delinquency originate in the home and are directly tied to parents who expect the village to raise their kids for them, while at the same time they never let their children out of their sight. We whine about losing our rights and freedoms while at the same time we expect daddy or mommy government to make everything better for us. A government that ships our jobs overseas and imports new immigrants to take over what few jobs are left. A government that monitors our phone calls and emails, what websites we visit and what we watch on TV. A government that we demand keeps us safe while we act surprised when it uses this mandate for its own good instead of ours. A government that keeps us at each other's throats while they rob us blind and turn us in to serfs.

This is the common thread that binds almost every issue we see in the headlines today. We are depending on a government that has its own agenda to look out for our best interests and as long as we keep doing that things will continue to get worse. This country was built on the foundation of a Constitution that was designed to protect us from an overreaching government. Over the years we have whittled away at those protections as we demanded more and more from this government until we find ourselves in a position where it is telling us how to raise our children and we are rioting in the streets begging it to protect us from itself.

you are 1000% right

Old 04-30-2015, 01:08 PM

11,433 posts, read 6,848,240 times
Better that a handful of semi-privatized "New Puritans" should occasionally make fools of themselves in isolated instances, than that the "nutritional Czars" of a Nanny-state should have unlimited power to enforce their views on all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events