U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:32 AM

733 posts, read 606,136 times

Advertisements

He was clearly injured before being placed in the van.

He was unsecured. It's hard to secure a person when they resist, yes. But, he was not buckled in.

He may well have been in such a state that he threw himself around the van and worsened his condition. An out of control person needs HELP. They do not need to be loose in a van.

Yes, I have seen out of control children and adults throw themselves around and injure themselves. My nephew with learning disabilities once threw himself around in the shower so hard he broke a front incisor. He was upset at being told to finish up the shower.

It's terribly sad.

I am thinking Tasers are one thing, but what about tranquilizer darts? Seriously, what about very fast-acting, very brief tranquilizers, such as are given to cats before neutering or various animals before being tagged. To be used in extreme cases. Of course, the police will have to be trained, and training is something they often lack.

IF PEOPLE WOULD REALIZE how much of their role is really as a social worker/counselor/mental health worker, then the training could be changed and greatly improved. And, those who do not have that "people helper" bent likely won't go into police work.

There needs to be a seachange in policing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 08:40 AM

607 posts, read 508,590 times
Stop relying on the CORPORATE MEDIA
for truth. It is a moneymaking entity
designed to sell you toilet paper and
corporate agendas.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:54 AM

5,326 posts, read 4,009,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Since it got him killed it seems to have backfired on him.
What backfired on Freddie was his thinking that his choice to be a career criminal would work out for him.

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 04-30-2015 at 09:10 AM..

Old 04-30-2015, 09:03 AM

28,411 posts, read 14,139,706 times
Back in the day, one of my guilty pleasures was watching Cops. I can't tell you how many times I saw suspects in the back of a patrol car beating the holy hell out of themselves as they slammed their head into the window.

I don't know what happened inside that van, but neither do the people looting and rioting while pretending they do.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:20 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,382,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Do you know for certain what data they have? BTW, yes, there is a way to track speed,braking and turns.Welcome to the 21st century... Now let's wait and see what data they have or, we can just burn 'em all on what you think happened.
If it's shown he was injured due to what is called a "rough ride" then someone needs to pay for it. Period...
LOL, yes, I know that. That's why I posted what I did.

In any case, they have already said they HAVE NO DATA showing any unusual driving.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:32 AM

9,693 posts, read 5,281,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Back in the day, one of my guilty pleasures was watching Cops. I can't tell you how many times I saw suspects in the back of a patrol car beating the holy hell out of themselves as they slammed their head into the window.

I don't know what happened inside that van, but neither do the people looting and rioting while pretending they do.
Pretty much.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:46 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,570,480 times
Quote:
You are aware the PD is stating that they have tracking data on the van that shows it was NOT being driven in such a manner right?
How 'bout waiting for ALL of the facts to come out, this could be another Ferguson for all we know... I guess if one's opinion is that all cops everywhere are racist murderers and any time a Black person is found to be injured after an arrest it's automatically the cops fault then the world is a pretty sad,bleak place and we should all riot...
If it is another Ferguson, then the riots are justified.

Department of Justice report on the Ferguson, Mo. Police Department - The Washington Post

Maybe more of you pro police state folks should take some time to understand just what these communities go through.

Sensible conservatives agree:

Many Conservatives are Blowing it on the Ferguson DOJ Report | RedState

It boggles my mind why conservatives are so willing to fight tooth and nail to defend a government agency. This is big government people.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:17 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,040,107 times
Quote:
So, it seems people may have jumped to conclusions (again) before all the evidence is in.
Imagine that...
It will be interesting to see what comes out on Friday...

From the Post:
A prisoner sharing a police transport van with Freddie Gray told investigators that he could hear Gray “banging against the walls” of the vehicle and believed that he “was intentionally trying to injure himself,” according to a police document obtained by The Washington Post.

Prisoner in van said Freddie Gray was

So people really believe this man tore 80% of his spine and damaged his voicebox after being strapped into the van on his own?

Really?

Old 04-30-2015, 10:19 AM

4,585 posts, read 2,966,019 times
He *wasn't* strapped in. Herein lies the big problem. BPD did not follow their own transportation guidelines.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:19 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,040,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
What backfired on Freddie was his thinking that his choice to be a career criminal would work out for him.
The cops had no reason to stop him.

He wasn't breaking any laws. All he did was make eye contact with a cop and ride his bicycle away.

The cops even fabricated some bogus story that he was carrying a switchblade.

What male do you know of in the year 2015 is STILL carrying a switchblade (of all things) other than serial killers owning white vans?

I honestly didn't even know they made switchblades anymore and no one I knows carries them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events