U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 06:54 AM

44,494 posts, read 35,950,842 times

Advertisements

Question:

What did any of you do this week to help eradicate any of the following:

1. Police brutality
2. Inner city poverty
3. Crime rates among those in poverty
4. Racism

Please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 07:03 AM

615 posts, read 362,052 times
^Yes! Everyone here wants to be so judgmental, telling blacks what they should/shouldn't do, but like, what did you do to directly improve your community????

So she's an unemployed single mother of 6 probably on welfare. And??? As though there aren't any whites on welfare. I don't know why everything has to become a racial issue with you guys.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:15 AM

559 posts, read 229,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Question:

What did any of you do this week to help eradicate any of the following:

1. Police brutality
2. Inner city poverty
3. Crime rates among those in poverty
4. Racism

Please share.
1.) I didn't run from a cop.
2.) I went to work and paid a bunch of taxes. Then I interviewed a couple of applicants as I often do ... none of which as usual were inner city kids who I could have hired. I tried.
3.) I neither bought nor sold drugs from anyone in poverty. Nor did I burn down any stores which would have lost poor people their jobs.
4.) Didn't oppress anyone today. Hired an Indian job applicant ... doesn't that count? He was a person of 'color' after all.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:38 AM

21,790 posts, read 21,643,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
When a mother says she is not sure if her son returns home at the end of the day she knows something about him that you and I don’t. Is it too much to assume he is into something illegal? “Walking while black” is a media creation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Too much to assume? Possibly. Any parent, who cares about their kids, will worry. I can only imagine that any parent, who care about their kids, would worry far more if they live in the area where she and her kids live. Not every kid who lives in a bad area is "into something illegal".
I agree it is too much to assume. As parents none of us really know if our child will return home at the end of the day. We all worry, we imagine the worst possible scenario if they are a few minutes late. It doesn't have to be involvement in illegal activity, any number of things can happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
I believe your taking her words out of context.

If one is Caucasian, they have no clue the fear mother's of color have for their kids. Walking while black is not a media creation. I've heard many mother's of minorities say this who's child was killed by someone who isn't. No fallacy about that, IMO.

It appears with the latest headlines, POC are not treated well by those in authority.

She wants her son to not die at the hands of police for just being POC.
I have no idea how it is to be black or live in the inner city but I think all good mothers can relate to the worry we all have for our children. That worry I'm sure is amplified when you live in a poor area or an inner city and especially when you are a single parent and have no one to share the burden with.

It really saddens me that so many people want to focus on the number of children this woman has or her marital or employment status instead of the fact that she is a caring mother trying her best to support and raise her children to be decent citizens, on her own no less.
Sure poverty, unemployment, single parent households are an issue in this country but why single out and shame this one woman who is trying to have a better life.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
1.) I didn't run from a cop.
2.) I went to work and paid a bunch of taxes. Then I interviewed a couple of applicants as I often do ... none of which as usual were inner city kids who I could have hired. I tried.
3.) I neither bought nor sold drugs from anyone in poverty. Nor did I burn down any stores which would have lost poor people their jobs.
4.) Didn't oppress anyone today. Hired an Indian job applicant ... doesn't that count? He was a person of 'color' after all.
Most of what you've posted involves what you DIDN'T do or what the government basically forces you to do (in the case of paying taxes or using non discriminatory hiring practices).

So basically, you're not breaking the law. Kudos to you. Now what have you specifically done, that wasn't mandated to you by the law, to help eradicate poverty, police brutality, or racism in your community or sphere of influence this past week?>

Old 05-01-2015, 07:44 AM

733 posts, read 647,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Yeah, the government via orphanages. When the financial incentive to have more kids to receive more welfare is no longer there, this is by far the least expensive option for taxpayers in what economists call the "long run".

In the future, most of these kids would no longer be born in the first place without proper planning.
OMG are you really that heartless or is the post sarcasm?

C-D has some shocking stuff on it today.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:45 AM

14,585 posts, read 9,649,620 times
She is just one mother. Where are the rest of the parents? I assume the kids all went back home that night with diapers and toilet papers. Did anybody return them?

Old 05-01-2015, 08:10 AM

559 posts, read 229,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Most of what you've posted involves what you DIDN'T do or what the government basically forces you to do (in the case of paying taxes or using non discriminatory hiring practices).

So basically, you're not breaking the law. Kudos to you. Now what have you specifically done, that wasn't mandated to you by the law, to help eradicate poverty, police brutality, or racism in your community or sphere of influence this past week?>
I don't know what your life is like but until you walk a mile in other people's shoes you shouldn't play the "So what are YOU doing about (insert your favorite cause)?" guilt card. I don't have 5 minutes for activism and if I did I sure wouldn't devote it to that cause. Doing whatever you do with your spare time is your choice but that doesn't mean it's more righteous than what others choose to do.

Truth be told I'm not the least bit interested in your favorite causes. I think there are a lot more fruitful and worthy ones around. After fifty years of Great Society-esque social programs, welfare, job training etc the black community is only more dependent, their neighborhoods more wracked by drug abuse and crime and their family structures more dysfunctional. Meanwhile generations of poor immigrants have arrived in droves and succeeded and their kids have moved steadily forward on the impetus of their parents encouragement and their own hard work. Mexican, Asian and Indian. None of them appreciated when they arrived. Inner city black Americans? ... A perpetual underclass steadily sliding downhill. I'm not the least bit motivated to help people who don't help themselves. So I just live my life and try to be fair and decent to the people I come across and work with. Work hard and do my part and raise my children right. Those are my expectations for myself and they're the expectations I have for everybody else.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:18 AM

16 posts, read 11,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Really? Who exactly is going to provide for those children and pay for them? You?

Nope not you? Then who? The government?
'Not you'? Who do you think is 'the government'? While the Fed may magically be printing money currently government money is all of our money. Well, it is most of our money anyway, considering about 49% don't pay income taxes (though even they pay sales tax).

Last edited by spelunker; 05-01-2015 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: left off a line

Old 05-01-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
I don't know what your life is like but until you walk a mile in other people's shoes you shouldn't play the "So what are YOU doing about (insert your favorite cause)?" guilt card. I don't have 5 minutes for activism and if I did I sure wouldn't devote it to that cause. Doing whatever you do with your spare time is your choice but that doesn't mean it's more righteous than what others choose to do.

Truth be told I'm not the least bit interested in your favorite causes. I think there are a lot more fruitful and worthy ones around. After fifty years of Great Society-esque social programs, welfare, job training etc the black community is only more dependent, their neighborhoods more wracked by drug abuse and crime and their family structures more dysfunctional. Meanwhile generations of poor immigrants have arrived in droves and succeeded and their kids have moved steadily forward on the impetus of their parents encouragement and their own hard work. Mexican, Asian and Indian. None of them appreciated when they arrived. Inner city black Americans? ... A perpetual underclass steadily sliding downhill. I'm not the least bit motivated to help people who don't help themselves. So I just live my life and try to be fair and decent to the people I come across and work with. Work hard and do my part and raise my children right. Those are my expectations for myself and they're the expectations I have for everybody else.
I've been rich and I've been poor. I've been the target of discrimination and I've probably discriminated myself at one time or another during my life.

I didn't ask you to be interested in "my favorite causes." Allow me to rephrase the question: What are YOU doing to better your community?

If someone has five minutes to pontificate and argue and debate online, they have time to do something more positive and edifying in their own sphere of influence.

I implore people to expend their energy being CONstructive rather than DEstructive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or