U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:58 AM

44,179 posts, read 35,748,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Where are YOUR answers to these questions. Questions that you asked by the way. Hypocritical & unfair of you to fault others for their responses without first giving response yourself.
I didn't fault anyone or condemn anyone. I simply asked questions.

I teach weekly classes in a volunteer capacity for an organization that retrains underprivileged women to give them job and life skills so they can better the lives of their families, and better their communities. I can give more detail if you like. The program has a great success rate and it's very rewarding to be a part of it. Believe me, I get more than I give when it comes to that program.

Oh, and I also obey the law and pay my taxes. I consider this level of community involvement to be pretty much a bare minimum. At least it keeps me out of jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 09:00 AM

44,183 posts, read 17,620,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I didn't fault anyone or condemn anyone. I simply asked questions.

I teach weekly classes in a volunteer capacity for an organization that retrains underprivileged women to give them job and life skills so they can better the lives of their families, and better their communities. I can give more detail if you like. The program has a great success rate and it's very rewarding to be a part of it. Believe me, I get more than I give when it comes to that program.
You didn't address what was asked and your personal details are irrelevant and I have no interest.

Where are your answers to the questions?

Old 05-01-2015, 09:00 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,290,140 times
I wonder sometimes if those crazy conspiracy theory people are right in that the govt. or some 'secret organization' is controlling the media to keep everyone bickering about surface stuff that really has nothing to do with what's going on.

I see SO much "black people are (fill in negative judgement)" answered with "Well, so are white people!" A kindergarten lesson: just because the other kid does it too doesn't make it right.

Thought is replaced by easily-chanted platitudes that fit nicely on protest signs.

It doesn't matter if someone is white or black or whatever. And the media is the biggest smoke screen to actually replacing generalizations with thinking, looking at individuals and solving problems.

And some people will look at this as "why can't we all just get along?" fluff and roll their eyes probably. If that's the response, they're part of the problem.

The mother talked about in the OP isn't a hero. She's not Mom of the Year, except maybe to her kids. She did something at least though.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
If you use this definition, then it mostly doesn't exist in modern day America. I support the laws on the books for equal rights even though rights are not equal in the USA. It's still legal to discriminate against Gay & Lesbians.

Sure there are bigots of all races, but it's folly to believe that I or anyone else can change their beliefs.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:03 AM

559 posts, read 227,941 times
Quote:
I didn't ask you to be interested in "my favorite causes."
Yes you did - Re-read your above post. What have we done about Racism, police brutality, inner city poverty etc? Not your favorite causes that you're interested in? Then why did you ask us what we're doing about them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon
Allow me to rephrase the question: What are YOU doing to better your community?
You clearly aren't taking an objective poll when you ask that. Your question is a transparent attempt to guilt people into stepping up to what you feel is your superior level of activism.

Let me tell you something - Many of us aren't activists on purpose ... not because of inattention or laziness or because we're self-centered. I am repelled by 'activism' because of the awful preachy, holier than thou, bleeding heart, guilt mongering nature of what modern American activism has become. Pretty much like how you are acting here.

If you want to impress people and motivate them then do it quietly and humbly instead of self promoting and waving your resume around as if it should be a beacon for others.

You need to understand that people who are individualistic and believe in self-sufficiency typically have high expectations for others. Leave me to do my part and you do yours. if you aren't handicapped or in some way disabled then I assume without prejudice that you are a capable person with a work ethic, some moral character and a desire to do your part. I believe that to assume that others don't have those fundamental characteristics and that they need my enlightenment and teaching is an insult. It's an assumption that they are lesser people than me.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:08 AM

30,882 posts, read 13,363,058 times
Quote:
You describe an unfit mother. i.e. Someone who lays with men & brings kids into world where they have no ability to provide for them. Yet, though she has no job, and presumably nothing else to do, she can't teach her son not to go to a riot and throw bricks.

"Unfit" is being nice.
oh my, another Waldo opinion, based on NOTHING.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
oh my, another Waldo opinion, based on NOTHING.
And you offer pointless opinion of Waldo. Worth even less.

Here's a tip for you. Your opinion of me is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
You didn't address what was asked and your personal details are irrelevant and I have no interest.

Where are your answers to the questions?
I just gave the answers to my own questions. Not sure how (or why) I should give you more detail since you're uninterested and consider the details to be irrelevant.

I assume that anyone reading and responding to this thread (and the plethora of others) about the situation in Baltimore has some interest in the topics of racism, police brutality (or the lack thereof) and poverty - since those topics are intertwined and cannot be extricated from the questions around the Baltimore riots.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:34 AM

430 posts, read 673,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Meanwhile generations of poor immigrants have arrived in droves and succeeded and their kids have moved steadily forward on the impetus of their parents encouragement and their own hard work. Mexican, Asian and Indian. None of them appreciated when they arrived. Inner city black Americans? ... A perpetual underclass steadily sliding downhill. I'm not the least bit motivated to help people who don't help themselves.
Great point. And when was the last time you saw a riot of Mexicans? Chinese? Indians?

Why have these groups been able to give themselves such social mobility in a short time while the African-American community has, even with 54 years of Affirmative Action, hurled itself straight down the drain?

Quote:
I assume that anyone reading and responding to this thread (and the plethora of others) about the situation in Baltimore has some interest in the topics of racism, police brutality (or the lack thereof) and poverty - since those topics are intertwined and cannot be extricated from the questions around the Baltimore riots.
Especially poverty. Why is the African-American community unable to help itself compared to every immigrant population in the country as per above? What can possibly be done to help them want to help themselves out of their poverty?

Old 05-01-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post

Quote:
Yes you did - Re-read your above post. What have we done about Racism, police brutality, inner city poverty etc? Not your favorite causes that you're interested in? Then why did you ask us what we're doing about them?
You are reading and responding to (with great gusto, I might add) a thread about the Baltimore riots. The topics of race, racism, poverty, and police brutality are fundamental elements in these riots and this topic. These aren't necessarily my favorite causes (those would include dogs, encouraging a love of reading and art appreciation in kids, and healthy eating actually), but they are such integral elements in what we are discussing ON THIS PARTICULAR THREAD that I can't imagine discussing the Baltimore riots without these topics being a part of the discussion.

Quote:
You clearly aren't taking an objective poll when you ask that. Your question is a transparent attempt to guilt people into stepping up to what you feel is your superior level of activism.
See above. Sorry if I assumed that people on this thread might have pretty strong opinions on the topics of racism, poverty, and police brutality. On threads about animal cruelty, I talk about animal cruelty, not racism.

Quote:
Let me tell you something - Many of us aren't activists on purpose ... not because of inattention or laziness or because we're self-centered. I am repelled by 'activism' because of the awful preachy, holier than thou, bleeding heart, guilt mongering nature of what modern American activism has become. Pretty much like how you are acting here.
And I'm repelled by armchair warriors. But I digress.

I didn't ask you or anyone else to be an activist or a "community organizer" or any such thing. People don't have to be activists to make a difference when it comes to racism or poverty - we don't have to save the world. Heck, we can't save the world. But we can make a positive difference somehow in our daily lives, and sometimes that takes a bit of effort on our part. Sometimes just a tiny bit of effort for that matter.

Quote:
If you want to impress people and motivate them then do it quietly and humbly instead of self promoting and waving your resume around as if it should be a beacon for others.
I didn't say a thing about what I do until people asked me to answer my own questions. I'm not trying to impress anyone but I thought it was courteous to answer direct questions.

Quote:
You need to understand that people who are individualistic and believe in self-sufficiency typically have high expectations for others.
I do understand that, since I am individualistic and believe in self sufficiency myself. I have very high expectations of others. I also believe in empowering others and helping people WHO ARE WILLING TO HELP THEMSELVES to reach their potential.

I guess I am of the opinion that "If I'm not part of the solution, I may be part of the problem." I also believe that in order to address an issue or problem or challenge, we have to be willing to look at things from other perspectives. This is an integral part of problem solving. Seek first to understand.

Quote:
if you aren't handicapped or in some way disabled then I assume without prejudice that you are a capable person with a work ethic, some moral character and a desire to do your part. I believe that to assume that others don't have those fundamental characteristics and that they need my enlightenment and teaching is an insult. It's an assumption that they are lesser people than me.
And you're assuming the worst in me. I didn't assume people aren't making positive impacts in their communities - I ASKED what people are doing in regard to topics that apparently interest them enough to read and respond online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or