U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:14 AM

2,903 posts, read 2,654,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
Even if the dog did attack, he was attacking a stranger that was in his fenced in back yard.

This is sad... but it's nothing more than a mistake. The officer went to the wrong address by mistake. He didn't intentionally go to the wrong house looking to shoot a dog. He was responding to a burglary call. If he had gone to the correct house and a large dog jumped out of the window and was growling or barking (or attacking), this wouldn't even be a story.

He screwed up. Maybe he should be retrained to make sure he goes to the right address. Or maybe the dispatcher gave him the wrong address. Either way, like I said... it was a mistake.
Uh, maybe he should be, you know, tasered, thrown in a van and come out with a broken spine? Just a thought. I mean, mistakes happen. Many cops in this country are out of control. They treat honest citizens like criminals and they sure do like using those guns! This isn't a third-world nation - the police just act as if it were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 08:54 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,291,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Uh, maybe he should be, you know, tasered, thrown in a van and come out with a broken spine? Just a thought. I mean, mistakes happen. Many cops in this country are out of control. They treat honest citizens like criminals and they sure do like using those guns! This isn't a third-world nation - the police just act as if it were.
Hi poster... when you use inaccurate throw away lines you might want to use different language
This is about a policeman shooting a dog
Freddie grey was not tasered... ..if the reports are correct.. investigated by thirty Baltimore detectives... six patrol officers involved .. the medical examiner... now the Maryland state attorney general and department of justice...
As far as us firing guns... you discharge your weapon today and the volumn of paper and inspection and review of your actions is immense ... and that is if no one is hit ... shoot someone or something and hit them you are guaranteed to receive careful scrutiny by multiple sources... and they come to the table critical at the get go...

So... instead of blah blah blah at least speak to this thread and not your incorrect bias. You are correct ..we are seeing third world behavior alright... by thugsters... but again in this case a mistake was made... should we hang the policeman now... or allow you to participate in the public flogging?
Thanks

Old 05-01-2015, 09:59 AM

17,538 posts, read 14,978,373 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware that we had insight into these officer's personal feelings. You have no way of knowing who has remorse or not. Sure, some might not... just like many criminals have no remorse when they take another person's life. But these cops are human, just because they don't personally go apologize for shooting a dog or another person doesn't mean they don't feel terrible about it. It tears a lot of them up.

Do you not think this officer had remorse after shooting and killing this man?
Dashcam Video Shows Montana Officer Breaking Down After Fatal Shooting - NBC News
I based that on a video posted here months ago that still disturbs me a great deal...it was when police were looking for a lost child in people's backyards, and they shot a dog that was only doing HIS job, barking when they went in HIS fenced yard...when the owner, devastated and heartbroken, confronts them (all on video) tearfully asking them why they shot his best friend, you can see them all holding back snickers, they were so snotty and dismissive in their responses to him. That bothered me and still bothers me more than anything in the case. On the "puppyside" site I alluded to, there are other videos of cops being confronted by heartbroken owners, and it is clear in their responses they couldn't care less. These are not cases where they were being attacked or in any immediate danger whatsoever, it appears they shot them because they could, not because they had to.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
That's like saying a certain color of person who commits a crime makes them all look like criminals.
Doesn't it indeed make it appear that way, true or not? Take a look around the forums and tell me that's not the perception of many here, there are tons of posters that think all black people are thugs, so apparently perception carries a lot of influence. I didn't say it makes cops all bad, I said it makes them all look bad, there is a difference (in fact I added that most are good people).

A friend of mine who is black cringes when there are news shows about blacks committing crimes, she told me once that when she hears the "teaser" on the news about a crime, she is hoping against hope it wasn't a black person that did it, because that perception does affect her, even though she has never committed a crime. She does get pulled over more, and followed around in stores...if perception doesn't matter, only truth, then why do those things happen to her?

So just as she suffers for the crimes of others, so do police suffer for crimes their own commit. It's not my opinion, it happens.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-01-2015 at 10:40 AM..

Old 05-01-2015, 11:27 AM

2,903 posts, read 2,654,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

So... instead of blah blah blah at least speak to this thread and not your incorrect bias. You are correct ..we are seeing third world behavior alright... by thugsters... but again in this case a mistake was made... should we hang the policeman now... or allow you to participate in the public flogging?
Thanks
Uh, no, but perhaps he should go back grade school and learn how to read numbers. The cop went into the wrong damned house, a house that had its street number visible to all that can read. And if a cop can't read, well, he really shouldn't have a gun, should he?

Old 05-01-2015, 11:46 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,162,480 times
LA Sheriff's Department, suspect uses the pit bull as a weapon against the officers. Officers testify they are very scared. They taze the dog twice but don't shoot it.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/opinions/nonpub/B248823.PDF

Old 05-01-2015, 11:47 AM
J24

448 posts, read 660,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Uh, no, but perhaps he should go back grade school and learn how to read numbers. The cop went into the wrong damned house, a house that had its street number visible to all that can read. And if a cop can't read, well, he really shouldn't have a gun, should he?
Cops are humans. They make mistakes. Have you ever looked a number or word wrong, or misheard if someone told you a number over the phone? He might have only gotten the address from a dispatcher over the radio. He could have easily misheard or even just remembered the wrong number. I'm not saying that what he did was right, but condemning him saying he "can't read" is so unfounded and you know it.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
LA Sheriff's Department, suspect uses the pit bull as a weapon against the officers. Officers testify they are very scared. They taze the dog twice but don't shoot it.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/opinions/nonpub/B248823.PDF
I always wonder why they don't do that more often. They get calls all the time about wild animals, coyotes, bears, etc and they always manage to shoot them with tranquilizer darts, but for some reason there seems to be less care taken with animals that are actually loved by humans and part of a human family.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:24 PM

17,720 posts, read 21,898,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
This actually happened to me once, in San Francisco. My apartment was burglarized, the police showed up and for some reason shot my landlord's poodle. I read an article last year that suggested cops shoot dogs all the time.

When Police Shoot Dogs - The Atlantic

This is horrible and it's obviously not an isolated incident.

This needs to STOP!

Old 05-01-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Cops are humans. They make mistakes. Have you ever looked a number or word wrong, or misheard if someone told you a number over the phone? He might have only gotten the address from a dispatcher over the radio. He could have easily misheard or even just remembered the wrong number. I'm not saying that what he did was right, but condemning him saying he "can't read" is so unfounded and you know it.
Surgeons are human and make mistakes too, but if they amputate your right leg when it was supposed to be your left, something tells me you wouldn't be quite so forgiving of the mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events