Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 11:00 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

The police went to a random house and killed the family dog:

Cop didn't have to kill our dog, Wyckoff family says | NJ.com

Police say they were responding to a call from a house on the same steet. Reports say the house numbers are clearly marked and the numbers are odd on one side of the street and even on the other. Also, eyewitnesses are coming forward to disputes the "official" claim that the dog attacked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 11:03 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
This actually happened to me once, in San Francisco. My apartment was burglarized, the police showed up and for some reason shot my landlord's poodle. I read an article last year that suggested cops shoot dogs all the time.

When Police Shoot Dogs - The Atlantic

Old 04-30-2015, 11:07 AM
J24

448 posts, read 863,729 times
Even if the dog did attack, he was attacking a stranger that was in his fenced in back yard.

This is sad... but it's nothing more than a mistake. The officer went to the wrong address by mistake. He didn't intentionally go to the wrong house looking to shoot a dog. He was responding to a burglary call. If he had gone to the correct house and a large dog jumped out of the window and was growling or barking (or attacking), this wouldn't even be a story.

He screwed up. Maybe he should be retrained to make sure he goes to the right address. Or maybe the dispatcher gave him the wrong address. Either way, like I said... it was a mistake.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:34 PM

50,791 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
This actually happened to me once, in San Francisco. My apartment was burglarized, the police showed up and for some reason shot my landlord's poodle. I read an article last year that suggested cops shoot dogs all the time.

When Police Shoot Dogs - The Atlantic
Thanks for the link..it led to an even more heartbreaking one that is all incident reports on the many hundreds of family pets shot by police every year. There was one body cam video that showed an officer actually whistling to the dog to get him to turn and face him before he shot him, and the dog was a million miles from him not doing anything! I know most cops are decent humans and even heroic, but the minority that are running around like jack-booted thugs make them all look bad. The worse thing in these incidents (to me) is that they have NO remorse.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:39 PM
J24

448 posts, read 863,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Thanks for the link..it led to an even more heartbreaking one that is all incident reports on the many hundreds of family pets shot by police every year. There was one body cam video that showed an officer actually whistling to the dog to get him to turn and face him before he shot him, and the dog was a million miles from him not doing anything! I know most cops are decent humans and even heroic, but the minority that are running around like jack-booted thugs make them all look bad. The worse thing in these incidents (to me) is that they have NO remorse.
I wasn't aware that we had insight into these officer's personal feelings. You have no way of knowing who has remorse or not. Sure, some might not... just like many criminals have no remorse when they take another person's life. But these cops are human, just because they don't personally go apologize for shooting a dog or another person doesn't mean they don't feel terrible about it. It tears a lot of them up.

Do you not think this officer had remorse after shooting and killing this man?
Dashcam Video Shows Montana Officer Breaking Down After Fatal Shooting - NBC News

Old 04-30-2015, 01:49 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's like saying a certain color of person who commits a crime makes them all look like criminals.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:53 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Interesting that pets are covered under "cruelty to animals" laws yet if a cop shoots a pet its just an "oopsy."

Old 04-30-2015, 02:01 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
Police officer was bitten twice as dog came through open window.. he shot the dog four times striking him twice... he went to 622 instead of 621... no one answered and he went around the back finding a gate open and window open.. as he looked in dog jumped and bit him

Dog did what he was supposed to do

Officer went to wrong address by one number... it does happen

Accident.. and will happen again when humans are involved.. sad for all.. accidents are just that... no criminal intent and as such in this case not a crime.. doesnt universally apply to accidents but here it does because of totality of circumstances. You as a citizen wouldnt be coming to someones home to take a burglary report... and wouldnt have the duty to investigate...

If a citizen shot an aggressive dog in a public place in my county they would be within their rights

No evil intent

Old 04-30-2015, 03:11 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
Even if the dog did attack, he was attacking a stranger that was in his fenced in back yard.

This is sad... but it's nothing more than a mistake. The officer went to the wrong address by mistake. He didn't intentionally go to the wrong house looking to shoot a dog. He was responding to a burglary call. If he had gone to the correct house and a large dog jumped out of the window and was growling or barking (or attacking), this wouldn't even be a story.

He screwed up. Maybe he should be retrained to make sure he goes to the right address. Or maybe the dispatcher gave him the wrong address. Either way, like I said... it was a mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Interesting that pets are covered under "cruelty to animals" laws yet if a cop shoots a pet its just an "oopsy."
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Police officer was bitten twice as dog came through open window.. he shot the dog four times striking him twice... he went to 622 instead of 621... no one answered and he went around the back finding a gate open and window open.. as he looked in dog jumped and bit him

Dog did what he was supposed to do

Officer went to wrong address by one number... it does happen

Accident.. and will happen again when humans are involved.. sad for all.. accidents are just that... no criminal intent and as such in this case not a crime.. doesnt universally apply to accidents but here it does because of totality of circumstances. You as a citizen wouldnt be coming to someones home to take a burglary report... and wouldnt have the duty to investigate...

If a citizen shot an aggressive dog in a public place in my county they would be within their rights

No evil intent
Police are supposed to be professionals. Going to the wrong address and going into the wrong back yard when called to respond to a specific address is simply unprofessional. We give police specific powers and wide latitude in their use of force to enforce laws and protect themselves - it is not unreasonable to hold them to a higher standard of behavior in the execution of their duties.

It is not unreasonable to expect a cop to: 1) Read an address correctly, 2) Assess a situation correctly, 3) Have back up to ensure two cops are there for the cop's safety and the civilian's safety.

I agree the cop made a mistake, and I doubt he went to the call thinking "Cool, maybe I can shoot me a dog tonight!" However, stupid should hurt.

The cop should be reprimanded and the owner should be compensated at an extremely inflated rate to ensure the city has a fiduciary interest in this NEVER happening again, and that the cops take the extra few seconds to ensure they are at the correct location to address the correct situation.

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 04-30-2015 at 03:59 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 03:13 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Some cops are not only violent, but stupid also. The owners should sue the police force, this is a strong case. The police were negligent and the result is this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events