Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 04:06 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post

This résumé experiment was conducted 11 years ago; if it were conducted today, do you think the results would be the same? Absolutely, and anyone who thinks otherwise is either naïve, delusional, or smoking crack.
Anyone who has actually review resumes at a mid to large corporation will tell you it's all nonsense and doesn't work like that unrealistic TV example.

I'll use engineer as example. But this applies to any professional job where resume is expected.
  • Hiring manager gets financial approval for FTE to fill vacant or new job.
  • Manager contacts HR with job requirements.
  • HR shifts through resumes (maybe 1000s) on hand. Usually done by computer.
  • HR delivers stack of resumes to Manager.
  • Manager calls lead or other senior engineer in. Hands them resumes. Tells them to pare it down to those who will be interviewed. Wants it by tomorrow or next day.
  • Engineer, who still has full time job to do, has to pare list down.
  • Resumes go into call back pile & others.
  • Engineer will be looking at skills and experience knowing they will be blamed if wrong person is hired. They will not be paying any attention to names or anything else not related to that. At most less than 1 minute will be spent on those going into rest pile.
  • Remaining resumes go to manage for CLBK. Manager may delegate that too.
  • HR will demand a report from Manager on who was called and who wasn't. This will be placed on record too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 04:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
Most overused, but not necessarily bad(according to one site):

Nevaeh, Trinity, Faith, Hope, Miracle, Blessing, Heaven, Mercedes, Aaliyah, Abrielle, Abigail, Addison, Ariana, Ashley, Aubrey and Avery. Kelsey, Kendall, Kennedy, Kiana and Kylie

Dijon, Kaden, Aiden, Jayden, Brayden, Jericho, Cody, Koby, Cane, Kane, Bentley.
The Aiden, Braden, Caden, Grayden, Hayden, Jaden, Kaden, Layton, Payton, Zaiden thing seems to be winding down, thank Goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post

Hmmm.. who am I am going to hire to do cold-calls and telemarketing for my company where they have to say their name... Marybeth and Kip or Tyrone and Shaniqua?

Weird white names are irrelevant other than the fact that they are weird and still acceptable.
I'd skip Kip, he's probably a spoiled brat who'll let everyone else do all the work while he takes all the credit. (J/K)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Using last names as first names is not exactly a new idea, though more often for males than females perhaps.

If my first child had been a girl, she probably would have been a Jennifer (1975). A cousin did use it for his first daughter.

In a similar vein, how many resumes get tossed because the name is feminine? Would a woman named Hunter perhaps get an interview before one named Marybeth, assuming there was no other clue to gender on the CV?
1. Yes, and there's way more first/last crossover with male names, e.g. Scott, Ross, Carter, etc.

2. My brother had a Jennifer in 1977.

3. Absolutely!

Old 05-01-2015, 04:26 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree with both. I thought "Johnette" was sort of pretty - but it is made up. When it's said, it almost sounds like Jeanette.
They are both versions of the same name. No more "made up" than many.

Johnette - meaning of Johnette name

"Johnette \jo(h)-nette, john(et)-te\ as a girl's name is of Scottish and Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Johnette is "God is gracious". Johnette is a variant of Janet (Scottish): originally a diminutive of Jane, from the French Jeanette. Also a variant of Johnna (Hebrew): feminine of John and Jon.

Johnette has 13 variant forms: Janett, Janette, Janit, Jannet, Jannette, Janot, Jenette, Jennet, Jennette, Jinnet, Jinnett, Jonet, Jonette."

Old 05-01-2015, 04:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
In my neck of the woods, the main ethnic group that is discriminated against is the Hispanic group. The vast majority of Hispanics have last names that clearly identify their ethnicity. (For the naysaysers, yes, there are some outliers who are only part Hispanic via the mom and have non-Hispanic last names, and there are Hispanic women married to Anglo men who take their husband's names, K?) It doesn't really matter what your first name is if your last name is Martinez. Your ethnicity is obvious. I use that as the example b/c on anther thread that showed the 3 most common last names per state, that is one of them for Colorado. Some Hispanics give their kids very Hispanic names, and others do not.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:36 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
It's not cute, IMO it's a stripper name like Savannah.
Mercedes = Mercy in Spanish.
Not arguing with you, just clarifying the meaning of it.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:38 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
Before I retired, I had a student named Jihad. I worried then as to how he would do in the business world and I still worry. He was a smart young man with a lot of ambition, but I do think that his name could hurt him.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:42 PM

241 posts, read 221,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Huntleigh? Sounds like someone trying to hard to get into a country club.
Sign me up... I might name my kids Ladue, Chesterfield or Hillcrest.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:46 PM

241 posts, read 221,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Anyone who has actually review resumes at a mid to large corporation will tell you it's all nonsense and doesn't work like that unrealistic TV example.

I'll use engineer as example. But this applies to any professional job where resume is expected.
  • Hiring manager gets financial approval for FTE to fill vacant or new job.
  • Manager contacts HR with job requirements.
  • HR shifts through resumes (maybe 1000s) on hand. Usually done by computer.
  • HR delivers stack of resumes to Manager.
  • Manager calls lead or other senior engineer in. Hands them resumes. Tells them to pare it down to those who will be interviewed. Wants it by tomorrow or next day.
  • Engineer, who still has full time job to do, has to pare list down.
  • Resumes go into call back pile & others.
  • Engineer will be looking at skills and experience knowing they will be blamed if wrong person is hired. They will not be paying any attention to names or anything else not related to that. At most less than 1 minute will be spent on those going into rest pile.
But how do you dwindle down when you have 30+ resumes that look the same with the same credentials? I remember when I was a Front Office Manager for a huge hotel and I was going through HR and I wanted to hire a new Concierge and assistant.

HR assured me that she wasn't a good fit, I asked why and they made a joke about her year gap of unemployment insinuating jail-time and that her name being Keyona could distract clientele.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:49 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I don't think Hussein carried the same weight 53 years ago when Barack was born as it does today. He did go by Barry for many of his developmental years.
Yeah all of his names are pretty weird. Even Barack which is in the Bible is pretty much unheard of in Western countries, but so is Quirinius which is also in the Bible and was a rather popular name amongst Romans.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:51 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
But how do you dwindle down when you have 30+ resumes that look the same with the same credentials? I remember when I was a Front Office Manager for a huge hotel and I was going through HR and I wanted to hire a new Concierge and assistant.

HR assured me that she wasn't a good fit, I asked why and they made a joke about her year gap of unemployment insinuating jail-time and that her name being Keyona could distract clientele.
OK for New Hire from college as example.
  • Did applicant intern at company in field -> top priority if checks out.
  • Did applicant work as intern anywhere else in field (other non-intern work experience counts too) -> put in CLBK pile.
  • Did applicant list any projects directly related to job -> put in CLBK pile.
After that sort by GPA. High to low. Pull by GPA until desired # reached.

Difficult to read resumes automatically go into other pile regardless of qualifications. Should be to the point an no more than 1 page. Don't ever send a generic resume. It should be tailored specifically towards job at hand.

It's pretty easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events