U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 01:48 PM

17,895 posts, read 9,836,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
We should keep in mind that a lot of Asians have ethnic names on their birth certificates but use Anglophone names in the workplace. Stephanie Cho's real name may be "Qiu," but she chooses not to use that name. It's usually an issue of ease with pronunciation rather than trying to fit in. If Americans could speak Mandarin, there'd be no name change.
That's not an issue of speaking Mandarin, that's an issue of Western adoption of Pinyin, which absolutely ensures Westerners can't even begin to pronounce the sounds the letters supposedly indicate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 02:02 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,647,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
While names are just words that refer to people, I'm of the opinion that any name that is off in left field will cause people to draw inferences. While some of the names are attributed to ethnic origins, when I hear the name Brougham Jenkins, I don't think that name pays homage to grandfather who emigrated from a foreign country--I think it pays homage to a Cadillac. And, while I "could" be wrong (you know, the exception is always touted as the rule in discussions involving any sort of stereotype), I'm not wrong.

The same goes for names like Trejure, LaQueenia, whatever. Inventions are great, but inventing a name for a baby... not so great.

The same goes for adult entertainment names. Dirk Wood and Destiny Love might be perfectly legitimate names, but eventually they are going to be the basis for some sort of preconceived notions.
All names are made up.

I can see why a certain name would make you think something but its an altogether different thing to not give people the same chance for a job because of a name and nothing else.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:03 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,647,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I wasn't making a general statement toward black people. Only you were. It was a statement made toward the general population. I've seen resumes with stupid email addresses like the one I used as an example. Nice try, though.
Oh please.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:08 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,006,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
I know what you mean: all those little girls named, in effect, "Son of Kenzie."
Madison means ''Son of Maude."

Old 05-02-2015, 02:15 PM

38,060 posts, read 15,294,447 times
I once knew a guy whose name was Peter Tester. Parents ought to have thought about that one a little bit more.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:23 PM

2,439 posts, read 1,034,240 times
Do you really want to say to your co-worker or employee every day, "Hi, Shaneequa, how are you?" It's ridiculous. If you want your kid to be taken seriously by middle/upper-middle class professional types, don't give her that sort of name. It's that simple.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:26 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,589,926 times
I knew a black guy named Chip once and he was not discriminated against because everyone who didn't know him thought he was white true story lol

Old 05-02-2015, 02:32 PM

20 posts, read 27,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Do you really want to say to your co-worker or employee every day, "Hi, Shaneequa, how are you?" It's ridiculous. If you want your kid to be taken seriously by middle/upper-middle class professional types, don't give her that sort of name. It's that simple.
Really? I mean REALLY? Somebody is too lazy to say the word Shaneequa? I suppose they could just say "Hi, how are you" if it required too much brain function to say her actual name. It is literally no harder to say than Rebecca ( which is my name).

Old 05-02-2015, 04:08 PM

758 posts, read 581,996 times
Thumbs down That Is Just Dumb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
In the 1960s, Anglo-American names were common among African American children. Pre-emancipation enslaved African Americans were mostly named by owners.

It wasn't until the 1970s and the rise of the Black Power movement, which was a response to 35 years of separate but equal and decades of police brutality and housing discrimination. that this shifted in the other direction. The underlying philosophy of the Black Power movement was to encourage Blacks to accentuate and affirm black culture and fight the claims of black inferiority. The adoption of “black” names is consistent with other cultural changes—like “natural hair"—prompted by the movement. African Americans wanted to distinguish themselves from whites, and develop a culture unique to them naming was an easy means to the end.

40 years later According to a University of Chicago study, résumés with black-sounding names are 50% less likely to get a call back. Black constituents with typically "black-names" are 80% less likely to have white legislator return an email or phone call when their name is revealed.

Chicago GSB | Capital Ideas

Today on twitter "#thingsIput on my resume was trending" and I posted "if your name could be considered ethnic or black I would suggest using your 1st and middle initials instead of your full-name."

I was met with a mirage of resistance which I understand but if it won't get you any further in the work field let only get your foot in the door for the interview what's the argument. I know it's institutionalized racism but it takes decades and policy after policy to reverse that, so what is Kiara or De'Quan supposed to do in the mean time?

On the other hand people were spewing this like "Yeah we can you imagine a CEO name La'Quanda or Merecedes?" and I thought ummmm yes and a President named Barack.

"White people giving their kids names like Saxby Chambliss and Tagg Romney is a clear sign of cultural pathology.” If names like “DeShawn” and “Shanice” are fair targets for ridicule, then the same should be true for “Saxby” and “Tagg.”" - said Jamelle Bouie.

What's your view... should African American's just conform and make it is easy or is pride and ethnocentrism ok and even if you have a "black name you shouldn't initial or avoid it?
I think that those names are beautiful. Africans and African Americans can name their children whatever they want to. They do NOT have to conform to what they'd call "White America". And why should they?!

Do American Indians conform? NO!

Do Hispanics conform? NO!

And yet Africans are forever hated.

Africans do not meed to be singled out for each and every thing that they do.
And before some body says that they are violent criminals, I disagree. They aren't any more violent than Hispanics. It is just stereotyped.

Africans do not meed to change their names. If people are offended with Africans then I should be offended with Hispanics and their names. Jose (Hoe, Say?) and even worse?! Jesus (Hey, Seuss!) but notbody is bothered by them?! Just The Africans are offensive?! Really?! What a bunch of double standard hypocrites!!!!! So Employers are ridiculing the African names, but they are giving in to the "Press 1 For Spanish, Press 2 For English?!"

As for American Indians, they don't even have to work.

On the other hand, Asians:

I do not even like that Asians basically conform. They usually change their first name to some English name and I think that is just dumb. They seem to have things just as rough as Africans do. Last time I checked, we all share the same planet. And "There is more than one way to skin a cat." So remember that.

If I ever find any companies wanting Africans and Asians or anybody to change their names or anything, then I will boycott them.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:27 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
If I ever find any companies wanting Africans and Asians or anybody to change their names or anything, then I will boycott them.
Except for FF they probably won't even hire them.

Ghetto names invoke a stereotype that's hard to shake off.

I used to think one apostrophe was bad enough but now you have kids with 2 and 3 apostrophes in their names.
I can barely pronounce them these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or