U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 05:59 AM

9,761 posts, read 14,870,264 times

Advertisements

True story:

An ambulance crew picked up a woman about to have a baby. She gave the crew a hard time. She gave the obstetric department a hard time. When it came time to fill in the birth certificate the new mom did not have a name in mind. The nurse recommended a name pronounced "Shy thee ad". The mom said that was a nice name and the name entered on the birth certificate was Sh*thead. (asterisk to deflect the auto-censor, but you get the point).
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 05:59 AM

19,710 posts, read 10,982,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Seems me to me blacks just do not want whites to tell them to do anything even if it is right and will take an erroneous course to demonstrate independence from whites.
Because whites always know what is right for blacks and everyone else and always have the best interests of blacks and everyone else in mind. Right.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:10 AM

9,761 posts, read 14,870,264 times
Our local high school has around 100 Asian students which most locals and faculty cannot begin to pronounce correctly. The students pick "school names". That is how they are called and that is how their school records are maintained. There is a footnote that attempts to show their correct pronunciation of their birth names. Then there is their actual name with Mandarin characters or Korean characters. The student fills that in. We have no printers to reproduce those characters.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:21 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,623,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
People hear names like "Shameequa" and they think "ghetto." You can complain all you want, but that's a fact and it isn't going to change. Hearing names like that makes me think of my ghetto high school. And that's not a good thing.
Hearing names like Jennifer and Stacey make me think of bitchy girls I knew in high school but it wouldn't make me disqualify people with the same names during a hiring process.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Isnít it ironic that the civil rights movement started out with a cry for integration but now blacks take pride in segregation by name.
Since when is integration synonymous with assimilation?

Old 05-03-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I think its fair to say most resumes with ghetto names get put in the circular file. Even if you're looking for a black to fill some kind of quota, I think most people would still put those at the bottom of the list, and try to cut down on the drama and low-classness that is expected to come with a ghetto name.
Are you ****ing kidding me?

Why would you assume, by a name, that someone is dramatic and low class? I mean I could say the same thing about many "white" names too.

Why would you not look at a resume because of a name? It makes zero sense.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
True story:

An ambulance crew picked up a woman about to have a baby. She gave the crew a hard time. She gave the obstetric department a hard time. When it came time to fill in the birth certificate the new mom did not have a name in mind. The nurse recommended a name pronounced "Shy thee ad". The mom said that was a nice name and the name entered on the birth certificate was Sh*thead. (asterisk to deflect the auto-censor, but you get the point).
Please. I know that isn't true and I'd love it if supposedly intelligent adults would stop passing this crap along.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:05 AM

20 posts, read 29,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I find that some white people have problems pronouncing "black" names even when they're simple. My name isn't really difficult, but it's been mispronounced plenty of times just because it isn't common. Some people get confused about which syllable to stress whereas another black person would know. It would be like people calling you REE-bah-ka instead of Rebecca. To be fair though, my workplace is very diverse and we have lots of people from other countries, so lots of names get mispronounced.
Which is true but once someone introduces themselves as MOneil vs moNeil it isn't hard to remember (or shouldn't be anyway lol).

Old 05-03-2015, 07:16 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,583,160 times
This whole thing about names being detrimental to hiring is a complete non-issue here in the urban and suburban areas where I live. First names have changed over time (and yes that goes for all races), and it is not something that we see as unusual nowadays. When you go into any place where workers are wearing their name tags you can see what I'm talking about, especially among younger workers.... and it goes for all races.

So where exactly do you people that think this is an issue live? Or is this something made-up just to create controversy, or worse yet, to disclose something about yourselves to us?

Old 05-03-2015, 07:21 AM

3,512 posts, read 1,582,149 times
If you're worried about the name in seeking and interview, just make up a nickname. At the store where we have accounts, there are plenty of dubious sounding names of immigrants. Dung, Phuc etc that sound like curses of parents that mean something very different in Vietnamese. So nicknames are used. Same as when my grandparents elected a nickname in place of their given name 80 years ago.

So if your parent gave you the unfortunate name "Condombroke", "Crackbaby" or "Redneck" or anything else that might be perceived poorly, then put a nickname on your resume and the problem is solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or