U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 07:23 AM

20 posts, read 29,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
People hear names like "Shameequa" and they think "ghetto." You can complain all you want, but that's a fact and it isn't going to change. Hearing names like that makes me think of my ghetto high school. And that's not a good thing.
It isn't a fact. YOU think "ghetto", some other people "that's a pretty name", some other people don't give it a second thought. It is YOUR prejudices that are the problem not somebody else's name.

Also, it IS going to change. My kids and their friends don't give a crap what somebody's name is. That trend is going to continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 07:25 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,859,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
This whole thing about names being detrimental to hiring is a complete non-issue here in the urban and suburban areas where I live. First names have changed over time (and yes that goes for all races), and it is not something that we see as unusual nowadays. When you go into any place where workers are wearing their name tags you can see what I'm talking about, especially among younger workers.... and it goes for all races.

So where exactly do you people that think this is an issue live? Or is this something made-up just to create controversy, or worse yet, to disclose something about yourselves to us?
It's an issue in workplaces where employees do not wear company-provided uniforms and name tags.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:29 AM

6,372 posts, read 5,996,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
In the 1960s, Anglo-American names were common among African American children. Pre-emancipation enslaved African Americans were mostly named by owners.

It wasn't until the 1970s and the rise of the Black Power movement, which was a response to 35 years of separate but equal and decades of police brutality and housing discrimination. that this shifted in the other direction. The underlying philosophy of the Black Power movement was to encourage Blacks to accentuate and affirm black culture and fight the claims of black inferiority. The adoption of “black” names is consistent with other cultural changes—like “natural hair"—prompted by the movement. African Americans wanted to distinguish themselves from whites, and develop a culture unique to them naming was an easy means to the end.

40 years later According to a University of Chicago study, résumés with black-sounding names are 50% less likely to get a call back. Black constituents with typically "black-names" are 80% less likely to have white legislator return an email or phone call when their name is revealed.

Chicago GSB | Capital Ideas

Today on twitter "#thingsIput on my resume was trending" and I posted "if your name could be considered ethnic or black I would suggest using your 1st and middle initials instead of your full-name."

I was met with a mirage of resistance which I understand but if it won't get you any further in the work field let only get your foot in the door for the interview what's the argument. I know it's institutionalized racism but it takes decades and policy after policy to reverse that, so what is Kiara or De'Quan supposed to do in the mean time?

On the other hand people were spewing this like "Yeah we can you imagine a CEO name La'Quanda or Merecedes?" and I thought ummmm yes and a President named Barack.

"White people giving their kids names like Saxby Chambliss and Tagg Romney is a clear sign of cultural pathology.” If names like “DeShawn” and “Shanice” are fair targets for ridicule, then the same should be true for “Saxby” and “Tagg.”" - said Jamelle Bouie.

What's your view... should African American's just conform and make it is easy or is pride and ethnocentrism ok and even if you have a "black name you shouldn't initial or avoid it?
I have a White name. I would not suggest that anyone avoid using their name their parents gave them though. Even though your tactic may work initially, it will eventually backfire. Employers will eventually know their true name, and that good old fashioned institutionalism will eventually hit them, just on the job, as opposed to preventing them from getting the job. But then of course that is all easy for me to say, because I have a White name.

If it really has to come to that individuals might want to consider changing their first name. That may infuriate some, but if they can't get anywhere professionally due to their first name what difference does it make? To me, hiding your name is a sign of assimilation; but that is a personal choice everyone has to make for themselves.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:33 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,604,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's an issue in workplaces where employees do not wear company-provided uniforms and name tags.
And why do you think that?

Old 05-03-2015, 07:42 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,604,518 times
It's going to get interesting in the future when the majority of the population is projected to become Hispanic. Then what?

Will people be naming their children with Hispanic first names...... you know, so they can assimilate well and not be removed from consideration for jobs?

Old 05-03-2015, 08:13 AM

45,002 posts, read 17,902,619 times
Quote:
Will people be naming their children with Hispanic first names...... you know, so they can assimilate well and not be removed from consideration for jobs?
Hispanics generally choose names from the Bible or European (romance languages) in origin.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:15 AM

6,615 posts, read 3,742,110 times
I never heard the expression "ghetto name," but I know what you mean.

I think the problem may be not an ethnic name, but that the names you are talking of are not really names at all, or even words. They're totally made up, odd sounding, and have a ring of the uneducated about them. So they don't make a good impression.

That would be the case regardless of the race or ethnicity of the person.

If my name were Bolocontisha Smith, I can see where I might not be called in for an interview. It's just a weird name. My last name as Smith would be a name people are familiar with, and I am white. But it's natural for humans to think that someone may be weird because my parents were obviously weird or uneducated and clearly didn't care that they were burdening me with a weird albatross around my neck. And I clearly don't care, or I would use another name. There's nothing culturally proud about the name. It's just weird. It speaks to the personality of someone who would choose to use such a name. "Look at me! I'm different! I'm not like you!"

That is totally different from a recognized cultural name, like Jesus or Miguel.

I have a black friend who uses her middle name because her first name is weird. So we all recognize the weirdness of it all, I think.

As one black man, whose name was Ivory, told my brother...."Have you ever known a white man named Ivory?" He didn't like his name for that reason. It was an odd name that no white person would choose.

White people don't choose names based on race. They usually choose names that are recognized names. There are actually books of names to choose from, that have been used throughout history. There are some odd names in those books, but they are actual, real names, and are recognized as such. Bolocontisha wouldn't be in there.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:23 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,859,108 times
Quote:
And why do you think that?
Because I travel in professional circles where certain kinds of names are a liability. I'm not saying it's fair, because it isn't, but it is the truth. A name like Omoefe works, but a name like Ja'Quizz absolutely does not. If you cannot make sense of this, then it's clear we live in two completely different worlds.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-03-2015 at 09:30 AM..

Old 05-03-2015, 08:24 AM

625 posts, read 471,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I have a White name. I would not suggest that anyone avoid using their name their parents gave them though. Even though your tactic may work initially, it will eventually backfire. Employers will eventually know their true name, and that good old fashioned institutionalism will eventually hit them, just on the job, as opposed to preventing them from getting the job. But then of course that is all easy for me to say, because I have a White name.

If it really has to come to that individuals might want to consider changing their first name. That may infuriate some, but if they can't get anywhere professionally due to their first name what difference does it make? To me, hiding your name is a sign of assimilation; but that is a personal choice everyone has to make for themselves.
Yeh, GOOFY is a white name for sure. Yur parents must be proud & smart as you.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:34 AM

6,372 posts, read 5,996,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
Yeh, GOOFY is a white name for sure. Yur parents must be proud & smart as you.
Trolling much? Do you use your real name on here?

Bama; your name on here actually evokes up FAR worse denigration and stereotypes than mine, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or