Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 11:19 AM

241 posts, read 220,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

White people don't choose names based on race. They usually choose names that are recognized names. There are actually books of names to choose from, that have been used throughout history. There are some odd names in those books, but they are actual, real names, and are recognized as such. Bolocontisha wouldn't be in there.
Your theory has been blown up. White people make up names all the time. But when an odd name is associated with black cuture it is THEN unacceptable, uncaring, lazy or ghetto. I think Bolocontisha or Quantavius are actually quite creative but they scream Black and to many people Black screams unintelligent.

-Axel
-Phoenix
-Brogan
-Cash
-Diesel

If there is a question worth asking about race and naming, it’s not “why do black people use these names?” it’s “why do we only focus on black people in these conversations?” Indeed, there’s a whole universe of (hacky) jokes premised on the assumed absurdity of so-called “ghetto” names. Derision for these names—and often, the people who have them—is culturally acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 11:25 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,480,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
This is beyond racists. African Americans had to create their own cultural identity because they weren't considered human enough to join mainstream white culture.....
How silly. There isn't a goalie out there that guards entrance to "white culture" as there is no such thing. What you really mean is Western Civilization and people can choose to belong to it or not. Those opting out should not have any expectations of society at large in terms of acceptance of whatever nonsense is conjured up and called "culture".

Old 05-03-2015, 11:25 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,853,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My birthday is in June. I used to wish my mom had named me June.
I'm glad my mother didn't name me April.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:32 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,480,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdwreck View Post

if there is a question worth asking about race and naming, it’s not “why do black people use these names?” it’s “why do we only focus on black people in these conversations?” .
LOL! Because you started the topic and made it about Blacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdwreck View Post

... Should african american's just conform and make it is easy or is pride and ethnocentrism ok and even if you have a "black name you shouldn't initial or avoid it?

Old 05-03-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
How silly. There isn't a goalie out there that guards entrance to "white culture" and there is no such thing. What you really mean is Western Civilization and people can choose to belong to it or not. Those opting out should not have any expectations of society at large.
There is a goalie. There are multiple goalies. Hell, there are black and white goalies. Until this country comes to full terms with its past and not try to sweep it under the rug there will always be goalies and resentful people.

White flight is a perfect example of white people blocking the integration of african americans into the white way of life. In the 1960's the country club district of kansas city had 3 affluent public schools with 3k plus students in each, federal laws made the schools integrate and in less than 10 years 90% of the former white students were in private schools or left the neighborhood.

In the mid 1960's My african american grandpa, who owned a construction company in georgia finally saved enough money to move into a white upper-middle class neighborhood despite racist housing laws tried to sign my uncles up for the boyscouts, cub scouts and a private golf team and he was told that he should probably sign up with troops across town because it would make the white families uncomfortable.

The police are goalies too. I have been pulled over several times because I "look suspicious or different" or I "fit the description of a drug-dealer". I routinely was stopped by police in my parents affluent neighborhood until I left, and I was young and not educated enough to know that me "having my hand out the window" or "circling a neighborhood twice" wasn't reason enough to have my car searched but I was young and innocent and I let them and it became a way of life.

But there are goalies when I as an African American cannot walk down the street in a rich neighborhood without an officer asking me do I live close by or where am I going. Its not any of his damn business where I'm going or where I came from.

Being harassed like that consistently definitely affected me and alot of my Black peers psychologically. What message were we being fed? That people with power are allowed to hold prejudice. And that behavior fed some of my peers a spoonful of hate and resentment and they refuse to assimilate, why would you want to with so many goalies?

Old 05-03-2015, 12:00 PM

5,088 posts, read 2,291,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
this post illustrates what is really going on. whites are losing control, or at least they feel they are, and this is one of the many ways they try to maintain control. can you imagine if China bought up all the land, took over this country and told us all, white people included, that if we want our kids to make a living, we better name our kids chinese names. otherwise they won't take them seriously. do you think white people would just go, "they're right" and start naming their kids what chinese people wanted them to name their kids?
Losing control of what? WTF are you talking about? The poster pointed out, truthfully, that white people have conformed to this standard too. I know a girl, American born, whose parents are both from Poland. You know what they named her? Natalie. They didn't give her a Polish name, probably because they knew that it would be strange to Americans and hard to pronounce.
But go ahead, name your kids Bongquisha or De'Queshan or whatever. But don't whine if they suffer adverse consequences because of it.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:08 PM

5,088 posts, read 2,291,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabt View Post
It isn't a fact. YOU think "ghetto", some other people "that's a pretty name", some other people don't give it a second thought. It is YOUR prejudices that are the problem not somebody else's name.

Also, it IS going to change. My kids and their friends don't give a crap what somebody's name is. That trend is going to continue.
This isn't about my opinion at all. I've never been in a position to hire anyone in my life, and if I never am, that will be fine with me. The thing is, I'm FROM the ghetto, and it sounds bad to me. For some upper-middle class person from the suburbs? Fugheddaboutit.
You think that Shameequa is a pretty name? Really? But anyway, how do you know what your children will think, if they're in a position to hire people? And how many of their friends and classmates have such names?

Last edited by fat lou; 05-03-2015 at 12:26 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Losing control of what? WTF are you talking about? The poster pointed out, truthfully, that white people have conformed to this standard too. I know a girl, American born, whose parents are both from Poland. You know what they named her? Natalie. They didn't give her a Polish name, probably because they knew that it would be strange to Americans and hard to pronounce.
But go ahead, name your kids Bongquisha or De'Queshan or whatever. But don't whine if they suffer adverse consequences because of it.
But black children aren’t the only ones with unusual names. People inventing names is actually very, very American, and alot of those names eventually become mainstream (if they are popular amongst the majority)

It’s not hard to find white kids with names like Braelyn and Declyn. And while it’s tempting to chalk this up to poverty—in the thread, there was wide agreement that this was a phenomenon of poor blacks and poor whites—the wealthy are no strangers to unique names. The popular Netflix show Orange is the New Black, written by a Jenji Kohan (a white woman), was based on the experiences of a Piper Kerman (also a white woman). And in last year’s presidential election, nearly 61 million people voted for a Willard Mitt Romney, at the same time that the current head of the Republican National Committee was (and is) a Reince Priebus.

It's only considered ghetto when black people get a little creative.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,305,319 times
Declan. The name is Declan, after the Irish saint, Declán of Ardmore.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Declan. The name is Declan, after the Irish saint, Declán of Ardmore.
ok.... I know a Declyn. He works at my gym. His name is odd and so is the spelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events