U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 04:10 PM

15,656 posts, read 8,764,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Where do you come up with generalities like these? Did you write the book on what works, I'm assuming for all the different professions out there, and what doesn't?
You can smack your head all you like, but the truth is the truth. I'm not speaking in generalities; I'm speaking from experience with very large white-collar employers in the Mid-Atlantic. Omoefe would get an interview, and Ja'Quizz would be passed over. It's not fair, but it happens. And if Omoefe is the hiring manager, and that's quite possible, it won't matter one whit how qualified Ja'Quizz may be. He's not getting a foot in the door. End of story. Believe me, or don't believe me. It's no skin off my nose.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-03-2015 at 04:52 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 04:45 PM

49 posts, read 47,738 times
if I was hiring for a customer facing role and I had two applicants

Jackie who went to Baltimore County Community College
And Taqueesha who went to Johns Hopkins

I would hire Jackie, I wouldn't want the name Taqueesha associated with my business because that name conjures up images of ridiculous hairstyles, girl fights with weave and nails flying everywhere, and single motherhood.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:07 PM

17,588 posts, read 21,770,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. politically incorrect View Post
if I was hiring for a customer facing role and I had two applicants

Jackie who went to Baltimore County Community College
And Taqueesha who went to Johns Hopkins

I would hire Jackie, I wouldn't want the name Taqueesha associated with my business because that name conjures up images of ridiculous hairstyles, girl fights with weave and nails flying everywhere, and single motherhood.
Are you freaking serious???

Old 05-03-2015, 05:10 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,068,318 times
I believe most resumes are now electronically sorted using key words from the job description. not sorted by name.

now when it gets down to the reduced number of resumes a human might look at anything legal in a resume or upon interviews.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:10 PM

38,218 posts, read 15,329,979 times
Wonder what Kate & William will name that new baby?

Old 05-03-2015, 05:11 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,660,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The ones that aren't African names. Or Arabic names. Or or names that have any traceable cultural meaning, just an identifiable sound.
Still not sure what you mean.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I've passed on hiring some people with unusual names, I don't care if the name is Moon Beam or Sheniqua, my thought is these people have some real emotional scars from these names and I just don't need the extra drama
WOW. Talk about assumptions.

I've worked with many people over my life and I can tell you that their names had nothing to do with their personality nor their inclination towards drama.

Dear god.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:14 PM

695 posts, read 693,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
No such thing.

Not "anglo american" names what ever that is supposed to mean. They were Christian names. Taken from the Bible. It was once common to ask for last name & Christian name.

American Baby boomers, both Black & White decided to break away from the habit and started naming their kids all kinds of things. This is why many now have last names for first names and all sorts of nonsensical names.
SOME were Christian names. However, regardless of where they came from, they were still Anglo-American names in that they were Anglicised forms of common Christian names.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:16 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,120,543 times
A couple things:

It is NOT just blacks that deal with this. Naming your white kid Bambi, Cletus, or Bubba puts them at a similar disadvantage as naming them Sha'Diamond or Ra'Marcus.

But really... this is an easy problem to solve even if you are burdened with a name like this. Go professionally by a different name. Your friends can still call you Bubba or Ra'Marcus, but at some point in your teenage years, have your teachers/professors call you Robert or Mark. You can still be Ra'Marcus at the next party if you think it will help you get laid or whatever.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
A couple things:

It is NOT just blacks that deal with this. Naming your white kid Bambi, Cletus, or Bubba puts them at a similar disadvantage as naming them Sha'Diamond or Ra'Marcus.

But really... this is an easy problem to solve even if you are burdened with a name like this. Go professionally by a different name. Your friends can still call you Bubba or Ra'Marcus, but at some point in your teenage years, have your teachers/professors call you Robert or Mark. You can still be Ra'Marcus at the next party if you think it will help you get laid or whatever.
Or maybe people can stop being judgmental jackasses and hire based on substance and merit rather than a ****ing name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or