U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 06:47 PM

28,206 posts, read 20,626,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. politically incorrect View Post
And no, Jews changing their names is not anti Semitic, it's cultural integration. You wanna be in a Jewish culture? Tel Aviv is a short flight away. You want African culture? See Ya in Lagos.
Why should anyone have to give up their culture, their name, to integrate??? That makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
C'mon, a lot more goes into hiring decisions than substance, and you know it. If I show up to an interview for a professional corporate-type job sporting a long scraggly Duck Dynasty-style beard, that interview will be over before it even began. I can have substance up the wazoo, and tell those people to stop judging me based on my beard, that won't make a bit of difference to anyone. And that's how it is.
Showing up unprepared is not the same thing as what your name is. Also, you're talking to someone who thinks people who judge others on tattoos and hair color are freaking idiots too.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:51 PM

13,723 posts, read 12,598,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why should anyone have to give up their culture, their name, to integrate??? That makes no sense.
I agree. It's not just so simple to change your name, but if you know for sure that you're not getting jobs because of it, you might have to.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I agree. It's not just so simple to change your name, but if you know for sure that you're not getting jobs because of it, you might have to.
I find that incredibly sad and infuriating. No one should have to change their name in order to get a job they are well qualified for.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:53 PM

86,834 posts, read 102,160,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Note that I wrote "Natalie," not "Natalia." Having the name Natalia on a resume could hurt a job applicant. Is she an immigrant? If so, how well does she speak English? Name her Natalie and it won't be a problem. The same goes for anyone considering the name ShaNaeNae.
I fail to see how Natalia on a resume could hurt an applicant. Note it is also a popular Hispanic name. Obviously, this name is commonly used in Europe. It's also used by white, Anglo, US born parents.

My kids have very ethnic names, first and last. I'm not going to say what they are, b/c there happen to only be a few people in the US with their first/last name combinations, and I'm a little afraid of hackers here. However, it hasn't hurt them. Both are working, and living in homes, not under bridges.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:58 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,878,564 times
They did a story on this on Dateline except it was on Muslim people and they did actually prove people of all races in HR didn't hire Muslim people if t hey had Muslim names so they actually had a Muslim guy chance his name to Brad Jones in his resume and he got called for interviews and got hired right away. Lot of Jewish people changed their names to WASPy names over the years because they used to know get hired, there is something to this thread.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:11 PM

2,498 posts, read 1,115,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I fail to see how Natalia on a resume could hurt an applicant. Note it is also a popular Hispanic name. Obviously, this name is commonly used in Europe. It's also used by white, Anglo, US born parents.

My kids have very ethnic names, first and last. I'm not going to say what they are, b/c there happen to only be a few people in the US with their first/last name combinations, and I'm a little afraid of hackers here. However, it hasn't hurt them. Both are working, and living in homes, not under bridges.
I just told you how. Regardless, these (white, I may add) immigrants gave their children names more in line with the prevailing culture here in the U.S., instead of whining "why should we have to assimilate, it's not faaaaaaiiiiiirrr!" Maybe others should do the same.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:11 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,300,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
I find it hard to believe that a business owner or hiring manager will choose someone based on name. I can't picture skimming through resumes and being like "that's a fantastic resume, but we don't do Sheniquas here". Factually, I understand it can happen, but it seems stupid.
Everybody is judged everyday on a myriad of criteria; your clothes, your jewelry, your address, your school(s), your religion, your neighborhood, your car, your career... and this is long before we get to things like race.

IMO, when competing for something such as a job opportunity, smart people will do their best to limit exposing anything about themselves that may result in employers developing a negative image about them. This is why successful people cover up tats, take out the nose ring, polish their shoes and wear a suit to an interview. Unfortunately, when it comes to thing like your name or address, this becomes a bit more difficult. Using initials (or a Christian name) when applying for a job may be the difference between getting you get an interview or not, especially if your parents saw fit to name you something popular in ghetto neighborhoods. It may not be an issue if you are looking for work as a mechanic or hair stylist, however it could impede you finding work in a bank or law firm.

My wife works with children's services and she can list several names that are extremely popular with the "clients" that come into her workplace (Nevaeh is one that is currently popular with girls). Unfortunately, having one of these names creates a negative image in a lot of people's minds the moment they hear it.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:18 PM

2,498 posts, read 1,115,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Showing up unprepared is not the same thing as what your name is. Also, you're talking to someone who thinks people who judge others on tattoos and hair color are freaking idiots too.
Well, whatever. You can think whatever you want, but the way things are is the way things are. If you're sporting pink hair and have tattoos up and down your neck, you're not going to get a job as a federal prosecutor or business consultant. You can call the people who won't hire you freaking idiots, but that won't help you much either.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:23 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,209,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
The company I work for does no such thing. I've never worked for a company that does that. Maybe some disgusting Klan-based company (Sheets R Us) might do that. I'm in HR and we try for the BEST person for the job, regardless of age, disability, race, religion, etc.

How many disgusting Klan based companies can you run off right now?

What if the company was named We B Sheets and owned by The Black Panthers?

This post makes my head hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or