U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 09:53 PM

5,908 posts, read 2,000,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
Your theory has been blown up. White people make up names all the time. But when an odd name is associated with black cuture it is THEN unacceptable, uncaring, lazy or ghetto. I think Bolocontisha or Quantavius are actually quite creative but they scream Black and to many people Black screams unintelligent.

-Axel
-Phoenix
-Brogan
-Cash
-Diesel

If there is a question worth asking about race and naming, it’s not “why do black people use these names?” it’s “why do we only focus on black people in these conversations?” Indeed, there’s a whole universe of (hacky) jokes premised on the assumed absurdity of so-called “ghetto” names. Derision for these names—and often, the people who have them—is culturally acceptable.
Axel is not a made up name. Its merely a form of Alexander, which is an ancient name in western culture.

Phoenix is not made up either...its also an ancient name (from Greek mythology) and a place name. Granted it would be odd to name someone Chicago. That's because the place name also stemmed from the ancient name.

Brogan is likewise not made up. Its just Gaelic. About 50% of white Americans have Scottish/Scotch-Irish heritage.

Cash is not made up. Cash is an old American name, and actually derived from a Roman name , Cassius.

Diesel is a bit weird, I will give you that. But its not made up either. Its Germanic, meaning "from Ussel", which refers to a river region. Many white Americans have Germanic ancestry...about 30%.

In short, all of the names on your list derive from names used in some Western culture - that white Americans have their ancestry/heritage in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 10:01 PM

23,291 posts, read 28,101,547 times
Quote:
Thanks for the backstory. It was cute. You proved my point her name was made up!
It is derived from an Italian phrase that had meaning for her parents. That's a bit different from a random collection of syllables chosen because they sound like someone thinks an African name should sound.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:01 PM

19,843 posts, read 11,049,668 times
Quote:
Thanks for the backstory. It was cute. You proved my point her name was made up!
I suspect others with Oxford-class educations understood the reference.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:31 PM

16,077 posts, read 18,585,578 times
God damn.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:42 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,110,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
What does race have to do with this, except for the fact its something that black youth do? Not sure how pointing it out can possibly be "racist"....I'm not making a judgement about their race, but rather about their culture. Guess you can't tell the difference. Can you even use the word "Racist" properly in a sentence...go on , let's hear it.
it's racist b/c you won't admit it is something youth from all racial backgrounds.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
You're seriously going to suggest that an invasion and conquest by China is somehow akin to young black people , most of whom are 8-10 generations removed from Africa and have never even BEEN there, refusing to adopt mainstream cultural norms that enable economic and academic success?

Learn how to construct an argument...
the Chinese in my analogy are white people, not black people.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
What does "blackness" mean?

If it is this then why would that be acceptable to anyone? The party you are responding too has a point.
first of all, i'm going to need you to stop using urban dictionary as a source. you know that is a joke site, right? I have made half a dozen entries into urban dictionary myself. they are quite funny, if I do say so myself, but not serious.

when i speak of our blackness, i am speaking of our otherness in a white supremacist culture. it's the little things, like how we do our hair, what we use in our hair, the music we listen to (not just rap, but gospel, neo soul), what we find stylish and beautiful, what we think is appropriate or offensive. it's not some shallow caricature that many non blacks think represent who we are.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Seems me to me blacks just do not want whites to tell them to do anything even if it is right and will take an erroneous course to demonstrate independence from whites.

you're half right. we sure won't take another second of you folks telling us what to do. you should read your own post and the posts of many others. you're talking to us like we're children. you're talking to us like you have some power over us and know better than us what is good for us.

the bottom line is, you are telling us to change our behavior to overcome discrimination imposed on us by white people. shouldn't the ones doling out the discrimination be the ones to change?

Old 05-03-2015, 11:41 PM

399 posts, read 297,141 times
Names tied to ghetto black culture are looked down upon because ghetto black culture is viewed as backwards and inferior.

Naming your child some awful made-up name is a sign of stupidity on the parents' part, and that stupidity is assumed to be inherited by the child. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. If your parents are idiots that would ruin your chances of a productive, well-adjusted life by naming you something ridiculous then it's assumed that you're an idiot too.

Blacks exert so much energy trying to CHANGE the system when they should be trying to BE PART of the system. The system isn't going to change. It's the system because it works. If it didn't work, it wouldn't be the system, something else would. To fight it is pointless.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:20 AM

5,908 posts, read 2,000,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
you're half right. we sure won't take another second of you folks telling us what to do. you should read your own post and the posts of many others. you're talking to us like we're children. you're talking to us like you have some power over us and know better than us what is good for us.

the bottom line is, you are telling us to change our behavior to overcome discrimination imposed on us by white people. shouldn't the ones doling out the discrimination be the ones to change?
LOL. Uh...no. Obey the law (which is not "racist") or we'll have to keep locking your butts up disproportionately.

And stop listening to idiots like Hilary Clinton. She is pandering to you - telling you what you want to hear. She parrots leftist PC ideology and says there is something wrong in this country when blacks are disproportionately locked up. Well, ya I should say there is something wrong when one group is more likely to be/act criminal. But it has nothing to do with the law. We have rules for a reason. Deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or