U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 04:46 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,985,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yeah because it would be so difficult to learn how to say a name correctly.
Almost as difficult as it is to give a child a name that's easy to pronounce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 07:56 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,652,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
Almost as difficult as it is to give a child a name that's easy to pronounce.
Difficult to pronounce for whom?

Old 05-04-2015, 07:58 PM

695 posts, read 692,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You completely miss the point.

The entire nonsense about "anglo-american" (as linked from that opinion piece in the OP) is necessary so that an equivalence fallacy can be created. Hence, the association of common names in the USA with the White race from England. Once that is established, then it becomes easy to associate any name with race. i.e. Ebonics names.

Of course names commonly used in the USA, England, and elsewhere have many orgins, many of which are from the Bible where there isn't an association with race at all. Hence Christian name or others from history. The fallacy is broken. i.e. It's not about race at all. So the claims that Ebonics names were a response to Blacks throwing off shackles of the White supremists racists is nothing but nonsense.
I don't think you have a solid grasp of race relations in the US...

Old 05-04-2015, 09:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,392 posts, read 50,602,810 times
A few years ago a nurse friend working in Oakland, CA told us that often when mothers are asked the name of the baby for the birth certificate the staff will ask them to spell it, and the result is those creative names such as Airwrecka.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:25 PM

384 posts, read 268,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
I named my daughters traditionally "boy" names for this exact issue, pre employment bias. While their gender may exclude them at the interview, it won't impact the first screening.

I'm a feminist, a pragmatic one.
I'm sure your daughters are thrilled that you chose to imprint them for life with your dysfunctional philosophies. Way to put your children's happiness and future over your own vanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipepper35 View Post
Interesting. They get the interview, get all dolled up and drive down. The person interviewing them is in shock. "Wow, you're Black" and forgets about the resume, degrees, experience and automatically makes up their mind. NO.

See the problem here....
Yes, because Black people never get hired for anything and they're always discriminated against. A Black person will never be chosen over a White person. There are no successful Blacks in every single sector of the professional world. Being Black is a career death sentence.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:28 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 48,405,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
I'm sure your daughters are thrilled that you chose to imprint them for life with your dysfunctional philosophies. Way to put your children's happiness and future over your own vanity.

Yes, because Black people never get hired for anything and they're always discriminated against. A Black person will never be chosen over a White person. There are no successful Blacks in every single sector of the professional world. Being Black is a career death sentence.
LOL, yup all blacks in every city are unemployed or on welfare according to the poster. I am amazed that there are no productive blacks in none of the major cities in the United States.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:35 AM

38,092 posts, read 15,294,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
I don't think you have a solid grasp of race relations in the US...
Please inform us then about what I don't know. I'm willing to listen. Otherwise, you were unable to address the message and instead attack the messenger.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:34 AM

2,857 posts, read 4,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
In the 1960s, Anglo-American names were common among African American children. Pre-emancipation enslaved African Americans were mostly named by owners.

It wasn't until the 1970s and the rise of the Black Power movement, which was a response to 35 years of separate but equal and decades of police brutality and housing discrimination. that this shifted in the other direction. The underlying philosophy of the Black Power movement was to encourage Blacks to accentuate and affirm black culture and fight the claims of black inferiority. The adoption of “black” names is consistent with other cultural changes—like “natural hair"—prompted by the movement. African Americans wanted to distinguish themselves from whites, and develop a culture unique to them naming was an easy means to the end.

40 years later According to a University of Chicago study, résumés with black-sounding names are 50% less likely to get a call back. Black constituents with typically "black-names" are 80% less likely to have white legislator return an email or phone call when their name is revealed.

Chicago GSB | Capital Ideas

Today on twitter "#thingsIput on my resume was trending" and I posted "if your name could be considered ethnic or black I would suggest using your 1st and middle initials instead of your full-name."

I was met with a mirage of resistance which I understand but if it won't get you any further in the work field let only get your foot in the door for the interview what's the argument. I know it's institutionalized racism but it takes decades and policy after policy to reverse that, so what is Kiara or De'Quan supposed to do in the mean time?

On the other hand people were spewing this like "Yeah we can you imagine a CEO name La'Quanda or Merecedes?" and I thought ummmm yes and a President named Barack.

"White people giving their kids names like Saxby Chambliss and Tagg Romney is a clear sign of cultural pathology.” If names like “DeShawn” and “Shanice” are fair targets for ridicule, then the same should be true for “Saxby” and “Tagg.”" - said Jamelle Bouie.

What's your view... should African American's just conform and make it is easy or is pride and ethnocentrism ok and even if you have a "black name you shouldn't initial or avoid it?
I haven't read all the responses over 50 pages but this EXACT topic is covered objectively in the hugely successful bestseller from a decade ago, Freakonomics http://www.amazon.com/Freakonomics-E.../dp/0060731338

There's also a ton of other coverage. It's fascinating. https://www.google.com/search?q=Frea...cs+black+names

Old 05-05-2015, 07:48 AM

1,170 posts, read 747,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
s:
I'll match my kids' success and happiness (and future employability) against any offspring of yours any day, any time . Thanks for your concern

Old 05-05-2015, 08:05 AM

2,242 posts, read 2,314,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I love the name Peaches, Porscha, Kristal, Mercedes, Maserti, Suga, Ginger for women, all gorgeous names lol
At least Mercedes is a proper womans name. It was the name of Carl Benz´s favorite niece. He named the car after her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or