U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 08:19 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,981,596 times

Advertisements

I know a fellow called Richard Head and I often wonder what HIS parents were thinking ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 08:35 AM

10,723 posts, read 10,114,434 times
Well my girls' names are Kalinda Devi (Kali) and Anjali Sarinna (Anji). I have always loved Hindu mythology and knew many years ago, even before I had children, that any female child of mine would have a Sanskrit name. I really don't care if their names aren't mainstream. As for racial profiling, their last name is clearly Hispanic (specifically it is a very common Mexican last name) so a unique first name isn't going to make much of a difference to such people.

Thankfully not every company profiles. Some of our banker clients are named LaShondra, Lakeisha, Imani, etc.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:06 AM

1,551 posts, read 911,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I know a fellow called Richard Head and I often wonder what HIS parents were thinking ...
They were thinking "should we name him Richard or Peter?"

Old 05-05-2015, 11:44 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,868,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Also, to be clear, there is a big difference between names that sounds ETHNIC and identify someone as black, like DeShawn, and a name like "De'Shawn'Dre'Ante'Nique. There's nothing wrong with the first but the latter is clearly ridiculous. I think silly excuses for names like the latter are half of what even makes this topic an issue in the first place. T=Of course the other half is some prejudice white jerk in a hiring position who already doesn't think much of black people anyway, and a silly ghetto name like that just gives them the excuse they need to pass them up for employment in favor of Suk Mi Wang.
This just reminds me of a former student-mother was dumb as a bag of rocks. When i was spelling him name out loud in a meeting for another school employee taking notes, I said, "D, A, Apostrophe, and the mom stops me and says there aint no apostrophe in his name, just a dash. So we write it with a hyphen, then she looks at it and tells us we need to learn what a dash is, and writes an apostrophe

We had students with great names like:
Uniqua (before it was a cartoon character)
Gerber
Urine (pronounced ureen)
Shaniquwa
Quantasia
Anthonyeesha
Mozella
Cinnamon
Monte (pronounced Monet)
And some so unreal I wont even put here because they are probably the only ones in the world with those names and we don't want to singe them out.

and the list goes on

The problem is when people cant spell the names and the kids have to continually spell or pronounce their name. This goes for even common names when people try to get creative. Do people want to grow up having to pronounce or spell their name? It drives me nuts.

I had to call a high school student to come in to do some community service. I dreaded making the call because I had no idea how to pronounce her name. 3 teachers all had different ideas on how to say her name. I ended up using her last name "Miss. XXX"
It is those situations that make odd names difficult.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:41 PM

51,651 posts, read 41,606,703 times
I think it depends what the person is applying for.

For example technical or more educated jobs you can evaluate people on their education history on the application.

If it's Doritoes Jones from Yale, the name would IMO hold little weight despite it likely being lower socio-economic.

If it's Doritoes Jones with "some highschool" looking for a sales job at Tiffany's? Different story.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:48 AM

3,185 posts, read 4,031,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If it's Doritoes Jones with "some highschool" looking for a sales job at Tiffany's? Different story.
But at least he'd be guaranteed a job at Frito Lay.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:30 AM

5,367 posts, read 5,972,997 times
Black sounding names are less likely to get called back for interviews and get hired. There have been hundreds of studies on this.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:42 AM

44,344 posts, read 17,716,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
But at least he'd be guaranteed a job at Frito Lay.
Hmm. Probably not. He spelled it wrong. LOL

Old 05-06-2015, 06:21 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,513,462 times
And then there are people like this guy:

6 Words: 'My Name Is Jamaal ... I'm White' : NPR

Old 05-06-2015, 09:13 PM

19,798 posts, read 11,033,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
And then there are people like this guy:

6 Words: 'My Name Is Jamaal ... I'm White' : NPR
I heard that this morning--you beat me to posting the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or