U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 03:38 PM

3,176 posts, read 1,634,014 times

Advertisements

LOL. It's considered "judging" now if you refuse to hire someone who's covered with tattoos? Oh, my. When does the PC madness end?

My husband and I own a coffee shop. We serve baked goods too. We insist that our employees are tattoo free on their faces, neck, hands and arms. Why? Because we think tattoos are ugly. That's all. Ugly! No fingernails longer than 1/2-inch either. Ever seen those babes with 24-inch curled talons? I suppose some people would call us "judgmental" for refusing those talons a job serving hot coffee.

Oh, we also refuse jobs to those with those ever-expanding button rings in their ear lobes. Fools. Metal rings and pins through the lips, nose or eyebrow will also show you the exit door.

Maybe some of you don't realize it, but you immediately show an employer how smart you just by your appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 03:40 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,681,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
I find it hard to believe that a business owner or hiring manager will choose someone based on name. I can't picture skimming through resumes and being like "that's a fantastic resume, but we don't do Sheniquas here". Factually, I understand it can happen, but it seems stupid.
I can't see that happening in a big business; if it did, you probably didn't want to work there anyway.

What does happen is the employer is down to 8 otherwise equal resumes for one position. Without any other criteria, he wants to get it down to a short list of 6 because that's all the time he has for interviews. Based on the results of study after study, the "Sheniquas" get tossed while the "Alices" get a call-back.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:47 PM

19,283 posts, read 20,166,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I can't see that happening in a big business; if it did, you probably didn't want to work there anyway.

What does happen is the employer is down to 8 otherwise equal resumes for one position. Without any other criteria, he wants to get it down to a short list of 6 because that's all the time he has for interviews. Based on the results of study after study, the "Sheniquas" get tossed while the "Alices" get a call-back.
Times must have changed. When I was an administrator, we'd have done a double backflip for a Sheniqua or two. Just to get the EEO off our back...

Old 05-28-2015, 04:51 PM

1,136 posts, read 692,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
I find it hard to believe that a business owner or hiring manager will choose someone based on name. I can't picture skimming through resumes and being like "that's a fantastic resume, but we don't do Sheniquas here". Factually, I understand it can happen, but it seems stupid.
More likely they won't bother reading a resume fro Deshawn in the first place.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:51 PM

8,119 posts, read 4,457,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Maybe some of you don't realize it, but you immediately show an employer how smart you just by your appearance.
I wish I could buy you a cup of coffee, well done

Old 05-28-2015, 04:54 PM

1,136 posts, read 692,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think the issue is bad tattoos. There are plenty of examples if you care to Google a bit, from those that are simply amusing spelling errors to some that are frankly ghastly. Those do say something about the person wearing them.
You would be surprised by how much people who hate any tattoos hate ANY tattoo.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:26 PM

139 posts, read 495,576 times
I named my child Iamspecial. He is 38 unemployed, living in the basement and loves his "special" name.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 PM

5,489 posts, read 5,213,219 times
Quote:
LOL. It's considered "judging" now if you refuse to hire someone who's covered with tattoos? Oh, my. When does the PC madness end?

My husband and I own a coffee shop. We serve baked goods too. We insist that our employees are tattoo free on their faces, neck, hands and arms. Why? Because we think tattoos are ugly. That's all. Ugly! No fingernails longer than 1/2-inch either. Ever seen those babes with 24-inch curled talons? I suppose some people would call us "judgmental" for refusing those talons a job serving hot coffee.

Oh, we also refuse jobs to those with those ever-expanding button rings in their ear lobes. Fools. Metal rings and pins through the lips, nose or eyebrow will also show you the exit door.

having those very long nails are most likely unsanitary and would be against health dept rules that you have to follow in the food industry.

I would go to your coffee shop for the standards you have.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:15 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,010,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think the issue is bad tattoos. There are plenty of examples if you care to Google a bit, from those that are simply amusing spelling errors to some that are frankly ghastly. Those do say something about the person wearing them.
I can see bad tattoos or something profane needing to be covered. But I live in Los Angeles and have been waited on by tattooed folks in retail and restaurants. Some had piercings too. It didn't hinder their ability to provide good service at all. And so far my experiences have all been positive - friendly, helpful service. I've had plenty of bad/terrible service from folks without tattoos or piercings however. Seems silly to judge job ability on something like that.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:11 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,660,990 times
Quote:

As someone who frequents coffee shops several times a week AND who has no tattoos I couldn't care less about the fact that some servers have them. I don't care about piercings or hair color either. You know what I care about? Good service and quality products.

And if you think you can tell someone's intelligence by their looks, you are the one who is sorely lacking in the aforementioned department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or