U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 06:13 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,657,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I can see bad tattoos or something profane needing to be covered. But I live in Los Angeles and have been waited on by tattooed folks in retail and restaurants. Some had piercings too. It didn't hinder their ability to provide good service at all. And so far my experiences have all been positive - friendly, helpful service. I've had plenty of bad/terrible service from folks without tattoos or piercings however. Seems silly to judge job ability on something like that.
Not only silly but downright stupid IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 06:54 AM

3,589 posts, read 1,974,912 times
Quote:
I can see bad tattoos or something profane needing to be covered. But I live in Los Angeles and have been waited on by tattooed folks in retail and restaurants. Some had piercings too. It didn't hinder their ability to provide good service at all. And so far my experiences have all been positive - friendly, helpful service. I've had plenty of bad/terrible service from folks without tattoos or piercings however. Seems silly to judge job ability on something like that.
If serving in a restaurant,custom car garage or some other low wage endeavour is the limit of your employment aspirations then go ahead and tattoo your face and wear a length of steel tubing through your nose.

The reality is that,however,that no white collar job worth its salt is going to be offered to you.

If you show such lack of judgement about your own personal appearance then you can hardly expect prospective employers to question it as well.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:38 AM

2,327 posts, read 1,335,356 times
Hello
My name is Shi'Thead
can I have a job application, please?
muwahahahahahahhaa

Old 05-29-2015, 08:55 AM

19,762 posts, read 11,020,820 times
Quote:
A "job" might be a matter of task accomplishment alone, but a "career" rarely is.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:14 AM

525 posts, read 458,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
If serving in a restaurant,custom car garage or some other low wage endeavour is the limit of your employment aspirations then go ahead and tattoo your face and wear a length of steel tubing through your nose.

The reality is that,however,that no white collar job worth its salt is going to be offered to you.

If you show such lack of judgement about your own personal appearance then you can hardly expect prospective employers to question it as well.

This is very true. Personal expression has a limit when it comes to appearance. I have 3 tattoos and work for a fortune 250 company, however NONE of mine are in any way visible with a shirt on. When i got tatt'ed back in college i was thinking about this and planned it this way. You simply cannot have a face tat or huge gauged ears and expected to be taken seriously in most of the professional world. When people meet you they form a partially subconscious opinion that will take a lifetime break in the first 5 seconds. If you don't present yourself visibly in a respectful and professional order in this time period odds are you will never be taken seriously.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post

Yes and the white collar world is such a bastion of ethics, morals and all around stellar behavior isn't it?

Old 05-29-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes and the white collar world is such a bastion of ethics, morals and all around stellar behavior isn't it?
The poster you quoted didn't say anything about "ethics, morals and all around stellar behavior." He spoke of good judgment.

At the white collar level, even doing evil effectively requires good judgment.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The poster you quoted didn't say anything about "ethics, morals and all around stellar behavior." He spoke of good judgment.

At the white collar level, even doing evil effectively requires good judgment.
Interesting take on wording.

Ethics, morals and stellar behavior don't often happen without good judgment.

I stand by what I said. Wearing a tie and looking the part of the corporate epitome of man hood really doesn't mean much other than you know how to pick clothes to play the game.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Interesting take on wording.

Ethics, morals and stellar behavior don't often happen without good judgment.

I stand by what I said. Wearing a tie and looking the part of the corporate epitome of man hood really doesn't mean much other than you know how to pick clothes to play the game.
You've totally missed the point. Nobody is saying that tattoos denote immorality. It's not about morality.

It is about having the judgment to know how and when to "play the game." It's like knowing when where to wear a see-through blouse, jeggings, and hoestack heels.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:39 PM

9,404 posts, read 4,521,326 times
When I was running a business, a person's name never entered into whether they were hired. But tattoos and personal appearance played a large role. We were working in homes with mostly housewives in a very conservative area. I actually had calls from competing companies wanting to hire us to finish their jobs after customers did not want their employees back because of their appearance. On big commercial jobs, manner of dress was still important but tattoos were more accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or