U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:31 AM

6,041 posts, read 3,473,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I see a hit dog in between all of your defensive posts.
Serious anger issues there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 08:31 AM

16,067 posts, read 12,846,428 times
If you expect a baby you should be smart enough to think of its future when you name it. If you aren't, you might be hindering your child to be successful later on. Also, if you aren't smart, your child might not be smart either, so the stereotyping isn't that far off ....

It has been proven that people with (boring) traditional names like Max or Lisa are more likely to be hired and successful as a De'Asia and La'Keisha.

I work with a bunch of super smart engineers and we have 10 new engineering interns every year and every single one of them has a boring, traditional name. Go to Starbucks and you will be served by a girl named "Angel". I would love to name my child "ANGEL" or "Rocco" but you gotta think ahead. Ever had a boss with a cute, extraordinary, made up name? Probably not.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:35 AM

6,742 posts, read 4,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If an employer sees someone with a ghetto name on a resume, they will likely assume that this person has other ghetto attributes as well: laziness, sense of entitlement, chip on the shoulder, cries "racism" at every turn. Why would any self-respecting business want to hire anyone like that? And when there are 10 applications for every opening, it's a whole lot easier to toss La'Donte'de'Shawn's resume into the trash than go through the trouble of finding out if that person is as messed up as his (her?) name is.
So you would be willing to automatically stereotype and disqualify a potential candidate based on their name, a name they had no decision in choosing, a name given to them by their parents?

And people wonder why Affirmative Action was created.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:14 AM

13,761 posts, read 12,732,108 times
I have an "ethnic" name. Luckily, I'm employed, but if I ever have kids, I would never give them names that might disadvantage them. It has an effect on the way you're perceived in other situations as well.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:22 AM

7,328 posts, read 4,015,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I have an "ethnic" name. Luckily, I'm employed, but if I ever have kids, I would never give them names that might disadvantage them. It has an effect on the way you're perceived in other situations as well.
How does one predict twenty years into the future. But if you think that you can perhaps you should consider names in Mandarin.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:26 AM

8,199 posts, read 6,131,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If an employer sees someone with a ghetto name on a resume, they will likely assume that this person has other ghetto attributes as well: laziness, sense of entitlement, chip on the shoulder, cries "racism" at every turn. Why would any self-respecting business want to hire anyone like that? And when there are 10 applications for every opening, it's a whole lot easier to toss La'Donte'de'Shawn's resume into the trash than go through the trouble of finding out if that person is as messed up as his (her?) name is.
He said it better than I did. If someone's mother named them Sha'niqua, some hiring managers might wonder whether she was raised to be like the stereotypical Sha'niqua. Perhaps it's not a "fair" consideration, but given human nature, its a probable one.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:30 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,277,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
So you would be willing to automatically stereotype and disqualify a potential candidate based on their name, a name they had no decision in choosing, a name given to them by their parents?

And people wonder why Affirmative Action was created.
As mentioned previously, this has already been well documented and researched. Look into Freakonomics and other literature.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:31 AM

13,761 posts, read 12,732,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
How does one predict twenty years into the future. But if you think that you can perhaps you should consider names in Mandarin.
I'm sure something simple and generic like Jessica or Michael will still be fine 20 years from now.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:46 AM

6,742 posts, read 4,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
As mentioned previously, this has already been well documented and researched. Look into Freakonomics and other literature.
Yes, I'm familiar with that book from college, as well as nominative determinism and other studies of hiring bias, including fewer callbacks for people with ethnic sounding names from employers.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:50 AM

16,067 posts, read 12,846,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Oh come on. You can do better than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or