Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 06:27 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree with you. There is nothing "cutesy" about bad white names.

Malik and Jamal are not names that I would personally use, but I certainly do not associate either one with "poverty and crime".
Malik and Jamal are Arabic names that just happened to be associated with blacks. The only difference I see is that blacks are inclined to use names from different cultures (northern Europe, west/east/central Africa, Middle East etc.) whereas American whites mostly stick to either John, Madison and Ashley or weird names like Hunter and Declan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 06:33 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times
Essentially, the point of this thread is to illustrate that blacks must protect (some) whites from their own racism. There's nothing wrong with being named DeShawn Jamal Harris. But many whites in authority are prejudiced and can't manage their feelings. By naming your kid Sean Jeffery Harris, your kid can avoid a layer of racism....at least until they get to the interview. Sad, if you think about it.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:44 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
[QUOTE
I know a Disel, Phoenix and a Seven[/quote]

An Armenian woman I know named her daughter Seven. That's the name of a lake in Armenia that is considered holy.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I'm not a fan of any made-up names or unusual spellings for regular names - which seems to be the trend for pretentious white people now. People are free to name their kids whatever they want, but that doesn't mean that future employers might not want those names representing their organization.
???

How in the hell does a name represent an organization?

Doesn't character, intelligence, work ethic and personality represent an organization?

Old 05-02-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
I find it hard to believe that a business owner or hiring manager will choose someone based on name. I can't picture skimming through resumes and being like "that's a fantastic resume, but we don't do Sheniquas here". Factually, I understand it can happen, but it seems stupid.
Do you think people may not even give a Sheniqua the same look as an Allison? I do.

In any case here is another link about the phenomenon:

Freakonomics » Chapter 6

Old 05-02-2015, 06:48 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
It may seem stupid to you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Rather than integrate oneself into society's norm, many seem bent on slapping down America society by adopting African names. And that's fine, but don't cry on my shoulder when your quest to stand with an African tribe loses you a job at an All-American, conservative-based agency.
Hmm, so based on your thinking what should all immigrants coming into the country also do... change their names to anglo-names at the port of entry?

Old 05-02-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
It may seem stupid to you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Rather than integrate oneself into society's norm, many seem bent on slapping down America society by adopting African names. And that's fine, but don't cry on my shoulder when your quest to stand with an African tribe loses you a job at an All-American, conservative-based agency.
WHY?

Its a name.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
A classic case of this is Barack Hussein Obama. Despite his middle name he was elected twice. I still wonder why his mother put Hussein as a middle name. She should have known it may have caused him problems in adulthood. Sometimes striving to be different can bite you in the butt, it has caused him some trouble also.
Hussein means beautiful and handsome. Why wouldn't a mother wanted her son to be named that???

Old 05-02-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Judeo-Christian (biblical) names were Anglicized.

Jesus wasn't called "Jesus" by the Hebrews. His name was Yeshua. Mary was "Mariam". Etc.
Oh you mean the names were changed and twisted to fit the culture using them?

Old 05-02-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If an employer sees someone with a ghetto name on a resume, they will likely assume that this person has other ghetto attributes as well: laziness, sense of entitlement, chip on the shoulder, cries "racism" at every turn. Why would any self-respecting business want to hire anyone like that? And when there are 10 applications for every opening, it's a whole lot easier to toss La'Donte'de'Shawn's resume into the trash than go through the trouble of finding out if that person is as messed up as his (her?) name is.
This screams stupidity to me.

If La'donte de'Shawn is applying for a job and has the qualifications needed, good references etc why should she not be hired? Because of her name. DUMB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events