Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 04:30 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabt View Post
Really? I mean REALLY? Somebody is too lazy to say the word Shaneequa? I suppose they could just say "Hi, how are you" if it required too much brain function to say her actual name. It is literally no harder to say than Rebecca ( which is my name).
I find that some white people have problems pronouncing "black" names even when they're simple. My name isn't really difficult, but it's been mispronounced plenty of times just because it isn't common. Some people get confused about which syllable to stress whereas another black person would know. It would be like people calling you REE-bah-ka instead of Rebecca. To be fair though, my workplace is very diverse and we have lots of people from other countries, so lots of names get mispronounced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 05:02 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Some people get confused about which syllable to stress whereas another black person would know.
Maybe.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:04 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
And yet Africans are forever hated.

Africans do not meed to be singled out for each and every thing that they do.
And before some body says that they are violent criminals, I disagree. They aren't any more violent than Hispanics. It is just stereotyped.

Africans do not meed to change their names. If people are offended with Africans then I should be offended with Hispanics and their names. Jose (Hoe, Say?) and even worse?! Jesus (Hey, Seuss!) but notbody is bothered by them?! Just The Africans are offensive?! Really?! What a bunch of double standard hypocrites!!!!! So Employers are ridiculing the African names, but they are giving in to the "Press 1 For Spanish, Press 2 For English?!"
I have no problem with African names--and didn't back in the 70s when we first started using them.

But "ghetto" names are not African names.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:05 PM

163 posts, read 125,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
Curious: Did you ever call anyone out on this?
It's funny, but I went on those interviews not realizing the impact of what I did. The reason I changed my name in the first place was that I didn't want to be sending my information to goodness-knows-who on the web. Anyway, so people seemed so hurt when I wasn't the person they were expecting me to be. After a while, I stopped changing my name becaise it was wasting my time, and theirs. Because, in the end, I wouldn't get the job. It seems changing your name on your resume for internet security just isn't acceptable. I still refuse to send real information over the web (you just don't know who's on the other end), but now, I'll use a name closer to my own.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:50 PM

163 posts, read 125,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculator View Post
It's funny, but I went on those interviews not realizing the impact of what I did. The reason I changed my name in the first place was that I didn't want to be sending my information to goodness-knows-who on the web (now that I'm remembering this, I wasn't conducting an experiment, I was just trying to protect myself on the web). Anyway, so people seemed so hurt when I wasn't the person they were expecting me to be. After a while, I stopped changing my name becaise it was wasting my time, and theirs. Because, in the end, I wouldn't get the job. It seems that changing your name on your resume for internet security just isn't acceptable (who knew! I still refuse to send real information over the web (you just don't know who's on the other end and there's a plethora of scammers), but now, I'll use a name closer to my own.
I edited my post in this post because I can't edit my other post!

Old 05-02-2015, 06:48 PM

625 posts, read 623,769 times
I think these youtube videos will help:

Bon Qui Qui @ King Burger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZkdcYlOn5M

Key & Peele Football Player Names

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1nGjGM2p8

Deal or No Deal (Mad TV)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol2DedEhOGI

Unfortunately, these are the images some whites have of blacks. Much of the current programming doesn't help. Much of it is insulting and demeaning to black people.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:02 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabt View Post
Really? I mean REALLY? Somebody is too lazy to say the word Shaneequa? I suppose they could just say "Hi, how are you" if it required too much brain function to say her actual name. It is literally no harder to say than Rebecca ( which is my name).
Whhhooooosshhh!
But I hope you're not being serious.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:05 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
I think that those names are beautiful. Africans and African Americans can name their children whatever they want to. They do NOT have to conform to what they'd call "White America". And why should they?!
Then don't conform. But if people from "white America" don't want to hire you then don't complain.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:14 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
I find it hard to believe that a business owner or hiring manager will choose someone based on name. I can't picture skimming through resumes and being like "that's a fantastic resume, but we don't do Sheniquas here". Factually, I understand it can happen, but it seems stupid.
Factually, it DOES happen, and it IS stupid.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:31 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Blacks shouldn't conform to the standards white supremacy has set.
What is the honor in adopting names from Africa where has given us Boko Haram? You would come back on your knees to the “white supremacist” country after a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events