U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 08:48 AM

10,062 posts, read 7,044,752 times

Advertisements

Wait, so did they become ill?

That article is like an essay. Couldn't go through it all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 06:58 AM

6,123 posts, read 5,167,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
when my granddaughter was attending school in Nevada they don't even prepare lunches they hire the same company, Aramark, that provides meals to jails and prisons and believe me the crap they fed the kids looked like jail food

More and more school districts are caving in to this. I'm a cafeteria cook in a junior/senior high school. We're dinosaurs...we actually have a cook staff who prepares the meals on premises. We even bake our own homemade sandwich buns on premises. The last couple of weeks' menus included shepherd's pie, pulled pork bbq (on homemade buns), country fried steak and gravy with mashed potatoes and homemade dinner rolls, and pasta with chicken parm.

As far as a school serving six year old meat, there is absolutely no excuse for that. Everything in our freezer is marked with a date label, documented in the Freezer Book, and rotated. Heck, we spend time in that freezer every week inventorying. Nothing is left remaining in our freezer to be six MONTHS old, let alone six YEARS. We just served pulled pork bbq sandwiches last week, and those pork roasts were just delivered a few days before they were roasted, sliced and served.

We (cafeteria cooking staff) are also required to have a number of continuing training credits a year.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 522 times
No kid got sick from eating said meat.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:11 AM

9,560 posts, read 13,402,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
And its well known that many "dated" food items that are preserved properly are perfectly safe to eat. So, while we can talk about violations of policy, most of the comments here seem to express outrage over the belief that the food was harmful to the children. That's not clear to me, which is why I asked what I did. Plain and simple.
Agreed. Unappetizing is not the same as unsafe, stupid decision but not one that put children at risk from what I've read. Probably not any worse tasting than some of the other mystery meat schools have been serving for years either!

Old 05-03-2015, 01:15 PM

241 posts, read 161,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by april2015 View Post
No kid got sick from eating said meat.
Good God is it still considered meat if it last 6 years frozen?

Old 05-03-2015, 01:57 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,269,142 times
No one got sick and some went back for seconds, meh, its a non-issue. Americans have gone nuts with the "Best by" craze, folks in most 3rd world countries would feast on what we throw away......

Old 05-03-2015, 02:53 PM

21,579 posts, read 26,233,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
The most significant factor in fat storage is the level of insulin in the blood. Insulin has many effects on the body. With respect to fat storage, insulin increases the storage of fat in fat cells and prevents fat cells from releasing fat for energy. This is such a key point for people to understand that Iíll repeat it: Insulin increases the storage of fat in fat cells and prevents the cells from releasing it for energy.

However, even people who take insulin for diabetes, which may promote weight gain, do not necessarily have to gain weight. The key is calorie control and exercise:

Insulin and weight gain: Keep the pounds off - Mayo Clinic

The most significant factor in fat storage is energy consumed in excess of energy expended. Insulin is just a mediator in the process.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:41 AM

30,650 posts, read 9,165,029 times
Affordable housing, affordable health insurance....affordable food.

Forget the gub-ment's affordable soylent green, parents. Pack lunches for your kids!

Old 05-04-2015, 09:50 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,513,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme
No one got sick and some went back for seconds....
Yes than who cares??

THE MEAT WAS FROZEN..... Best way to keep it!!

Old 05-05-2015, 06:05 AM

18,344 posts, read 18,609,890 times
If the meat was kept frozen and especially well wrapped (if not, there would have been freezer burn) there was absolutely no harm in it at all.
A few years ago, when I decided to get rid of a large chest freezer,,,the kind things can get lost at the bottom of...I cooked and served an 11 year old expensive rib roast.. It was perfect.

However, in this case it was reported that the meat smelled . That could have been freezer burn which still isn't harmful but should have meant not serving it.
Whether it smelled funny before the date was known or not until after, is another question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events