U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:47 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,462,668 times

Advertisements

So now facts are being shown about Freddy Gray's arrest and charges are being proffered. False arrest,failure to follow procedures,failure to render aid are the charges. Shouldn't be murder, I'm guessing negligent homicide or lesser charges on top of civil rights violations.
I do think they are being overcharged, this may just bite this S.A. in the butt.
Will this be enough to stop all the burning,looting and rioting?

We'll see but somehow I don't think so...

Second degree murder, covered under Maryland Criminal Code 2-204, makes it illegal to commit any murder, even if it was not premeditated, willful, or deliberate. The distinction between second degree murder and manslaughter is in the intent. Therefore, a second degree murder must be intentional. For example, accusations made by the State that a defendant murdered another person in a fit of unplanned rage would likely result in second degree murder charges. It’s important to note that the murder of a police officer can be charged as first degree murder, even if the homicide is not premeditated.

Last edited by jimj; 05-01-2015 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 09:11 AM

29,080 posts, read 15,315,085 times
They may be filed, but it looks like nobody will be found guilty when you listen to what's being said.

If the video shows Gray using his legs when he gets in, the other prisoner in the transport testifies Gray was banging himself around, the ME says skull injury matches to bolt in transport and cameras and GPS data shows no "wild ride", I can't see how it will be possible for a jury to find any guilt (based on those conditions continuing forward).

If a grand jury doesn't indict or if a jury acquits, the riots will start back up in Baltimore.

Of course, most cities where a black man dies while engaging with police receiving a lot of publicity will see riots from now on.

I'm not too worried about it, since it won't have any real impact on me. If they want to burn down their neighborhoods and drive out employers, that is their choice.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:30 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,201,175 times
Love how the mayor states that Freddie's family "will get justice". In other words she wants the police officers to be found guilty. Kind of scary when the mayor of a city doesn't even understand how the judicial system works. Nice to know that she herself isn't governed by racial bias...

Old 05-01-2015, 12:35 PM

241 posts, read 171,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

I'm not too worried about it, since it won't have any real impact on me. If they want to burn down their neighborhoods and drive out employers, that is their choice.

I don't condone any violence nor looting but its smart of them to take it to where it has impact on "the opposition" rather than their own neighborhood. Took LA decades (since Watts riots) to recognize this.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:20 PM

9,763 posts, read 8,102,118 times
Baltimore prosecutor charges police with murder, manslaughter in death of Freddie Gray | Fox News

Police union asked for an independent prosecutor because the attorney for Gray is a friend and big contributor to the State's Attorney's campaign. Makes one wonder if the charges are based upon local/state politics over evidence.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:14 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,201,175 times
It's one thing when police and city officials are corrupt, but when charges are based on and trials expedited by the fear of "race riot," then you know there's a problem.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:17 PM

44,374 posts, read 17,725,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
It's one thing when police and city officials are corrupt, but when charges are based on and trials expedited by the fear of "race riot," then you know there's a problem.
Except that in this case, the only person charged with murder is Black. Will be interesting to see what the rioters do about that.

Kinda throws cold water on this whole racist thing.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:24 PM

11,417 posts, read 6,182,797 times
I can't see any civil rights violations being filed. On what grounds would those charges be based?

Old 05-01-2015, 04:45 PM

35,147 posts, read 10,380,537 times
This "overcharging" appears to be a burgeoning tactic to ensure that the defendants are found guilty of something , and I think it stinks.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:48 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,326,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Love how the mayor states that Freddie's family "will get justice". In other words she wants the police officers to be found guilty. Kind of scary when the mayor of a city doesn't even understand how the judicial system works. Nice to know that she herself isn't governed by racial bias...
Lynch mob..forget the trial. Go right to the hanging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or