Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 05:23 AM

1,077 posts, read 871,019 times

Advertisements

Aggressive Policing, Series of Errors Blamed in Freddie Gray's Death

By Jon Schuppe It began with a look. Patrolling Baltimore's impoverished Sandtown-Winchester/Harlem Park on the morning of April 12, Lt. Brian Rice locked eyes with Freddie Gray.
advertisement

Gray, 25, who'd grown up in the neighborhood and had a history of drug arrests, began to run. The 41-year-old lieutenant took off after him.
The two men's split-second decisions set into motion a series of events and police errors that resulted in Gray's death, riots and criminal charges against Rice and five other officers. The case has become the latest flashpoint in the controversy over the use of force by police, and the suspicion festering in many of the communities where they are needed most.

more
Aggressive Policing, Series of Errors Blamed in Freddie Gray's Death - NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 06:46 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
How come the same city government released over a hundred suspects the other day without charging them? Didn't some of them assault police officers or vandalize property?

If those six officers are to be charged with murder so quickly and efficiently, then all these others should be charged with something as well.

Or is it all just a show to appease the angry community?

Old 05-02-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
How come the same city government released over a hundred suspects the other day without charging them? Didn't some of them assault police officers or vandalize property?

If those six officers are to be charged with murder so quickly and efficiently, then all these others should be charged with something as well.

No, I don't think to appease an angry community. It appears there was no probable cause filed, the PD filed the habeas petitions to release the ones detained.

snipped article
Quote:

Davis is one of 101 people just released out of the back door of the
Baltimore City Detention Center, without being charged, though the Baltimore
City Police Department says they may still be charged.

“I’m disgusted by that,” says Natalie Finegar, the deputy district
public defender for Baltimore City. “I think that’s cruel and unusual punishment
if you ask. You’ve had people in Central Booking for two days without the
opportunity to have contact with their families, post bail, or even know why
they are there.”

Finegar filed 82 habeas petitions demanding “the release of
individuals that were being held without a statement of probable cause since
Monday.”
A hundred protesters released from Baltimore Central Booking without charges, but claims of mistreatment - citypaper.com

Old 05-02-2015, 06:56 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Freddie Gray was no angel, and the protests initially got out of hand.

That DOES NOT mean that the officers are innocent of wrong-doing. "Rough-riding" has been happening in Baltimore for years. Gray is not the first case of someone dying in the back of a B'more police van. It appears that he was illegally detained. He certainly has a rap sheet, but in this instance, the coppers were wrong.

However, police have been wrong plenty of times. Charging them with a crime and convicting them are two different things. Coppers are out of control. They deal with plenty of crap, but many have bad intentions from the start. People are OK with things like this until it happens to them or someone they care about.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:08 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'd predict police departments in places like Baltimore will have a difficult time retaining and recruiting Cops in the near future.

Who can risk someone dying in your custody and you being prosecuted for murder just to appease an angry crowd.
I doubt they will have a difficult time recruiting cops. Starting salary is $48k with great benefits. In this economy with so many people seeking employment, being a cop is thought to be a good job. If people are willing to join the military with the knowledge they could end up fighting in a desert, they would look at being a cop as a cakewalk that pays well. There are lots of jobs that are difficult and pay less.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:10 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
The aggression, the brutality, the heinous manner in which this young man died, SA Mosely made the right call. .
This is all assumption on your part. There has been no evidence released to the public that would prove this is the case.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Bingo. If charges had not been brought, those mobs of thugs would have burned down city hall.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
This is all assumption on your part. There has been no evidence released to the public that would prove this is the case.
Of course it's an assumption or my belief, my opinion, my thoughts. Why would you think any different?

The only evidence I can use is the egregious, heinous, severed spine and crushed larynx. I can form my own opinion.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
Of course it's an assumption or my belief, my opinion, my thoughts. Why would you think any different? The only evidence I can use is the egregious, heinous, severed spine and crushed larynx. I can form my own opinion.
Because you state it as fact to use in support of whatever argument that you are making. i.e. "SA Mosely made the right call."

Whether or not she made the right call is her burden to prove. That has yet to happen.

However, I do give you credit for admitting now that it is only opinion.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:38 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
I've wondered if maybe he experienced seizures in the back of the van. That might explain some of his injuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events