Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 07:04 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculator View Post
I heard that the six police officers can request to be taken out of a jury trial and request instead that their case be heard by a judge only.
That would not be a good move as they would be tried by people too stupid to get out of jury duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 PM

163 posts, read 125,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
That would not be a good move as they would be tried by people too stupid to get out of jury duty.
What I meant to say is that the police can ask for no jury.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:46 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
I apologize, I misread your post.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:21 PM

163 posts, read 125,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I wonder if they can find 50-100 registered voters in Baltimore to pick an actual jury.
IDK, I thought jurists were hauled in from other sources as well (other than voters).

Old 05-04-2015, 11:16 PM

23,467 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
I'm surprised a new thread hasn't been started about the "non-shooting" in Baltimore this afternoon. My computer won't allow me to make a new thread or I would do it. I wouldn't put it past the tv media to go along with requests to keep the real story under wraps to keep the peace. I heard what happened is that the young man got shot right in the back and landed on the pavement face down. Also, a news station said, "too many people saw the police shoot him" (for it to be denied). But yet, now, the story is that the young man's gun went off by accident and that no one got hurt. Supposedly, video is being dug up to support the police's statement. I'm surprised there is no video, because the young man was running from the officer before he got shot. I'm sure google earth or some satellite captured this, since it was outside and there's no trees over there (just semi-tall buildings).
The doofus shot himself. He threw the gun on the ground and it went off when it hit the ground with the bullet hitting the guy.
According to some unknown (to me) media site/blog? [by the name of Mediaite] multiple people, and a FOX reporter, [eyewitnesses ] claimed the cop shot him then pepper sprayed the nearby people. FOX later stated that their own people were wrong about what had happened.

last story on the page...
Baltimore Police Say Reports of Officer Shooting 'Unfounded'

edited to add...
no media network would quash a story that pushes their agenda unless ordered to by someone with the authority to do so, doubtful that the mayor, or the cops, has the authority to order a national news network to do anything.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:21 AM

1,077 posts, read 871,019 times
Quote:

Yes, it's called a bench trial. No jury, the judge hears the evidence.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:51 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Wow, this will set off a flurry of arguments back and forth from all the "legal eagles" on here... As for speculation? Sure they can, this has been going on since Freddie's death was announced.
What we know for sure:
Freddie was in a foot chase with the cops.
Freddie was arrested and eventually cuffed and had leg restraints put on.
Freddie was alive when put in the van.
Freddie's neck was broken and windpipe possibly crushed.
Freddie came out dead.
All the rest is pure speculation not backed by any hard evidence that has been given to the good people of C-D (or any other of the public).
You can refuse to accept as facts whatever you want to. For speculation sake, I'll accept as fact that Gray wasn't restrained in the van and he requested medical attention several times.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:01 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Default About the knife

"Meanwhile, a police investigation continues as Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby builds her case. The separate investigations have some conflicting findings.

While Mosby said Friday that the officers had made an illegal arrest because a knife Gray was carrying was not a "switchblade," a violation of state law, the police task force studied the knife and determined it was "spring-assisted," which does violate a Baltimore code."

Gunshot at scene of protests underscores tension in Baltimore

Old 05-05-2015, 09:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
I'm surprised a new thread hasn't been started about the "non-shooting" in Baltimore this afternoon. My computer won't allow me to make a new thread or I would do it. I wouldn't put it past the tv media to go along with requests to keep the real story under wraps to keep the peace. I heard what happened is that the young man got shot right in the back and landed on the pavement face down. Also, a news station said, "too many people saw the police shoot him" (for it to be denied). But yet, now, the story is that the young man's gun went off by accident and that no one got hurt. Supposedly, video is being dug up to support the police's statement. I'm surprised there is no video, because the young man was running from the officer before he got shot. I'm sure google earth or some satellite captured this, since it was outside and there's no trees over there (just semi-tall buildings).
Didn't happen. Nobody was shot, suspect with gun was taken to hospital in an exercise in extreme caution.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:21 PM

1,077 posts, read 871,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
"Meanwhile, a police investigation continues as Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby builds her case. The separate investigations have some conflicting findings.

While Mosby said Friday that the officers had made an illegal arrest because a knife Gray was carrying was not a "switchblade," a violation of state law, the police task force studied the knife and determined it was "spring-assisted," which does violate a Baltimore code."

Gunshot at scene of protests underscores tension in Baltimore

Quote:

Switchblade knives are illegal in many jurisdictions, and in most
places they're defined as opening with a button or lever in the handle of the
blade. It's an important legal distinction, one that was
recognized by the federal
government
in 2009 when they clarified that spring
assisted knives are not, legally, switchblades.

Prosecutor Says Freddie Gray's Knife Was Legal Under Maryland State Law - Page 2 | Village Voice

Congress Protects Pocketknives; Cornyn, Pryor, Hatch Legislation Goes To President Obama For His Signature

Senators team up to ensure assisted-opening pocketknives are exempt from government regulation

News Releases - Home - United States Senator John Cornyn, Texas

Until anyone knows the exact knife that FG had, only speculations come to light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events