Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 03:57 PM

163 posts, read 124,738 times

Advertisements

Is there an existing thread that talks about why the violence was allowed a few days ago in Baltimore that resulted in the current curfew (with the burning of buildings and looting of stores)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 04:12 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,478,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Maybe reviewing States Attourny 's statement might help you sort that question out..~ I will snip out for yo the probable cause for Illegal Arrest..The rest you can read up the entire transcript..

Baltimore Freddie Gray Charges: Transcript of Marilyn Mosby Statement

Snip~~
initial contact with bike officers ( names listed)

On April, 12 2015 between 8:45 and 9:15 a.m., near the corner of North Avenue and Mount Street. Lt. Rice of the Baltimore Police Department while on bike patrol with Officer Garrett Miller and Edward Nero made eye contact with Freddie Carlos Gray Jr.

Having made eye contact with Mr. Gray, Mr. Gray subsequently ran from Lt. Rice. Lt. Rice then dispatched over departmental radio that he was involved in a foot pursuit at which time bike patrol officers and Nero began to pursue Mr. Gray. Having come in contact with pursuing officers, Mr. Gray surrendered to Officers Miller and Nero in the vicinity in the 1700 block of Presbury Street.

Lt. Rice, Officer Miller and Officer Nero failed to establish probable cause for Mr. Gray’s arrest as no crime had been committed by Mr. Gray. Accordingly Lt. Rice Officer MIller and Office Nero illegally arrested Mr. Gray.
position and substantially found a knife clipped to the inside of his pants pocket. The blade of the knife was folded into the handle. The knife was not a switchblade and is lawful under Maryland law. These officers then removed the knife and placed it on the sidewalk.
I won't get into the differences between the knife Gray had and a 'switchblade,' but an article in The Village Voice does:

"But when Baltimore's statute was written 60 years ago, it's language was crafted more vaguely than laws elsewhere. The municipal code currently bans "any knife with an automatic spring or other device for opening and/or closing the blade." In that way, it differs from switchblade bans in most areas — including New York — which rely on the blade/handle distinction."

Prosecutor Says Freddie Gray's Knife Was Legal Under Maryland State Law - Page 2 | Village Voice

Here's my guess. The cops for years have been arresting people for having the kind of knife Gray had and prosecutors exercised discretion. I won't be looking into how many people were prosecuted, but if any were, the cops have a nice defense for the arrest.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:13 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,063,297 times
He had spinal injuries.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:21 PM

468 posts, read 580,276 times
A snap decision without intense research of the facts?? is this how low our Judicial System sunk. Retribution instead of justice?

Black revenge?? taking the society back to slave days?? Justice for Blacks but not for cops????

Yeah, liberals keep taking society further into anarchy. Ok you can burn the so called progressive city right back into the stone age. Real Progress. Why have all the Black cities failed and reduced to crap? ans: Regression of the demented progressive mind.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:35 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
A snap decision without intense research of the facts?? is this how low our Judicial System sunk. Retribution instead of justice?

Black revenge?? taking the society back to slave days?? Justice for Blacks but not for cops????

Yeah, liberals keep taking society further into anarchy. Ok you can burn the so called progressive city right back into the stone age. Real Progress. Why have all the Black cities failed and reduced to crap? ans: Regression of the demented progressive mind.
When do cops not get justice? Will they not have a legal proceeding like anyone else?

Old 05-02-2015, 05:48 PM

23,105 posts, read 12,232,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I doubt they will have a difficult time recruiting cops. Starting salary is $48k with great benefits. In this economy with so many people seeking employment, being a cop is thought to be a good job. If people are willing to join the military with the knowledge they could end up fighting in a desert, they would look at being a cop as a cakewalk that pays well. There are lots of jobs that are difficult and pay less.
Actually they are having a difficult time, that's why they are beginning to hire green card carrying non-citizen immigrants to fill the police jobs across the country. Some states are amending their laws from where a cop must be a citizen to allow green card non-citizens to be cops. Laws also vary across the country from where the green card non-citizen must be an honorable discharged vet down to the green card non-citizen just having a work permit.
http://www.frontpagemag.com/2015/mic...lice-officers/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
BBM

No, I don't believe he was beaten at any time.

I do believe, possibly the initial take down (one witness described an officer kneeling on the back of FG's neck) is where it began.

Then the 'throwing' FG into the van, on his stomach, still hogtied, while the alleged rough ride, asking multiple times for medical assistance being bounced around unsecured, all contributed to this young man's spinal cord severing, I have no clue on how the larynx was crushed.

Or more commonly known as the snowball effect.
One of the links that you'd posted in another thread, regarding a Hopkins doctor on spinal injuries, the doctor said sever neck damage, done by another person putting pressure on the neck, would be unlikely.

I've mentioned before that (imo) he did look injured at the beginning of the video, and, that it may have happened when he fell and hit the concrete/when he was taken down and hit the concrete .. but the video does not show that part. Again imo, the injury at the beginning was not as severe as the final injury, at the beginning he may have had a fractured neck or extended spine, which led to a more severe injury in the van either by his own head banging, by falling, rough ride (though the tape of the van driving off from the mystery stop showed no rough ride--and the cops were not aware of being taped at that point).

Old 05-02-2015, 05:58 PM

23,105 posts, read 12,232,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I won't get into the differences between the knife Gray had and a 'switchblade,' but an article in The Village Voice does:

"But when Baltimore's statute was written 60 years ago, it's language was crafted more vaguely than laws elsewhere. The municipal code currently bans "any knife with an automatic spring or other device for opening and/or closing the blade." In that way, it differs from switchblade bans in most areas — including New York — which rely on the blade/handle distinction."

Prosecutor Says Freddie Gray's Knife Was Legal Under Maryland State Law - Page 2 | Village Voice

Here's my guess. The cops for years have been arresting people for having the kind of knife Gray had and prosecutors exercised discretion. I won't be looking into how many people were prosecuted, but if any were, the cops have a nice defense for the arrest.
(I can't rep you again yet)

Yep. Once they start trotting out the past case laws regarding people being convicted of carrying spring loaded knives, Mosby will be eating her words--spring loaded knives, which FG did have, are illegal. I'd previously posted the statute that explains it, and, someone else recently posted that statute in this thread.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:48 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,493,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I don't see the logic behind this guess.
Briefly held and handled, it's impossible to confuse a spring blade with a folding knife.
Once the difference between the two types has been pointed out, any 10-year-old can easily tell the difference.
The state's attorney has explicitly stated it is a folding knife.
Which are you saying: she's lying? That's so easy to prove, it seems unlikely.
Or are you saying the arresting officers mistakenly i.e. sincerely and ignorantly, misidentified the knife? If so they're not worthy to wear a cub scout merit badge, much less an LE badge.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:52 PM

33,837 posts, read 16,862,578 times
This is hardly a snap decision. BPD said they had 50 officers involved in investigation. Over 6 days, that is 300 employee days, or 1.2 employee years (5 day week, 50 weeks worked after vacation time).

Old 05-02-2015, 08:19 PM

42,758 posts, read 26,029,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
This is hardly a snap decision. BPD said they had 50 officers involved in investigation. Over 6 days, that is 300 employee days, or 1.2 employee years (5 day week, 50 weeks worked after vacation time).
and there were probably half a dozen staff attorneys involved too, it's very unlikely that the State Attorney would put on her Dick Tracy hat and run around conducting an investigation, I'm 99% positive her staff concluded their investigation provided her with a report and their recommendation and she followed that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events