U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:19 AM

6,742 posts, read 3,899,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I have a hard time believing that it was homicide and an illegal arrest, but we'll see.
Yeah, what do those medical examiners know.

Anyways, I'm not sure if there was intent and if that can be proven without a doubt in court, so it'll be interesting how it plays out in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 10:20 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,079,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
No argument, certainly guilty of violation of procedures and negligent actions but murder 2? Not from my reading of the law in Maryland.
Reckless homicide? Sure. False arrest? Maybe. Failure to render aid? Ok but Murder?
His spine was severed and voicebox damaged.

The guy in the next door to him said he didn't hear any noise in the next van cell over. He was only picked up for the last six minutes of the ride. The cops were with Gray for the first 30 minutes alone.

This crap ruling is to pacify the public, because anything less would be a problem, especially after Eric Garner's killer getting off.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:23 AM

1,077 posts, read 653,719 times
Quote:

A statement for charges against six police officers was filed Friday morning,
she said. Warrants have been issued for their arrests, but it was not released
whether they had been arrested yet.

One officer the driver of the police van has been charged with several
counts, including second-degree depraved-heart murder. Another officer has been
charged with several counts, including manslaughter and involuntary
manslaughter. Two other officers have been charged with several counts,
including involuntary manslaughter. And two other officers are charged with
several counts, including second-degree assault.

Mosby said that three Baltimore police officers illegally arrested Gray on
April 12. She also said that a knife that Gray had was not illegal.
Freddie Gray death ruled homicide; 6 officers charged | WTKR.com

Quote:
Depraved heart murder is a characterization of a particular circumstance of
second degree murder. Second degree murder, which criminal law defines as a
depraved heart murder, is characterized by murder conducted with reckless
disregard for the consequences of the preceding act.
more at link
Depraved Heart Murder - criminal | Laws.com

Old 05-01-2015, 10:24 AM

27,493 posts, read 11,553,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
But will they all stick? Doubtfull.
I think they will stick, as I posted before it is impossible for anyone to generate enough velocity inside of a Police Van to self inflict these injuries, it would require some action on the part of the van driver. But your desperation to exonerate the cops has resulted in you denying the laws of physics and continuing (in other threads) to claim that Gray injured himself

625 posts, read 443,153 times
yes, seems like murder 2 is a stretch. But the negligent homicide, manslaughter or assault charge could stick on one or more. Maybe. Possibly. Depending on the makeup of the jury. Depending on if Baltimore burns down between now and then.

15,415 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
Maryland State's Attorney: Gray's death was a homicide.

All 6 officers will be charged in Freddie Gray's death.

Arrest was illegal (per State's attorney).

Charges will include 2nd degree murder, manslaughter, assault, negligence.
First step to finding out the truth.

If they're guilty, they need to pay the price.

If they're not, it needs to be put behind them.

Still no reason to burn down a neighborhood, hurting innocent people and destroying the livelihood of business owners.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
yes, seems like murder 2 is a stretch. But the negligent homicide, manslaughter or assault charge could stick on one or more. Maybe. Possibly. Depending on the makeup of the jury. Depending on if Baltimore burns down between now and then.

Leaves room for a plea deal.

I posted the definition of the 2nd degree heart murder and it's akin to involuntary manslaughter.

So it would depend on how a jury rules after the evidence is presented.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:30 AM

38,701 posts, read 15,569,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I think that it was you that argued on another thread about people not believing anything that was contrary to their political agenda. Perhaps you should read your own posts and take a moment or two for some serious self-reflection.
Not me who is saying it Mr. Wino. I stand by what I said. She has no real choice.

Baltimore's Prosecutor Revealed: How State's Attorney who will decide on Freddie Gray death charges took campaign cash from dead man's family lawyer - and now civil rights defender is 'running interference

I think it will be fascinating to watch how this turns out.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:31 AM

27,493 posts, read 11,553,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
Leaves room for a plea deal.

I posted the definition of the 2nd degree heart murder and it's akin to involuntary manslaughter.

So it would depend on how a jury rules after the evidence is presented.
wrong. The charge was 2nd degree murder with an enhancement "second-degree depraved heart murder"

In Robinson v State, Justice Adkins of the Court of Appeals of Maryland relied on this extract of extant jurisprudence:

"Depraved heart murder is the form of murder that establishes that the willful doing of a dangerous and reckless act with wanton indifference to the consequences and perils involved, is just as blameworthy, and just as worthy of punishment, when the harmful result ensues, as is the express intent to kill itself. This highly blameworthy state of mind is not one of mere negligence. It is not merely one even of gross criminal negligence. It involves rather the deliberate perpetration of a knowingly dangerous act with reckless and wanton unconcern and indifference as to whether anyone is harmed or not. The common law treats such a state of mind as just as blameworthy, just as anti-social and, therefore, just as truly murderous as the specific intents to kill and to harm."

Old 05-01-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think they will stick, as I posted before it is impossible for anyone to generate enough velocity inside of a Police Van to self inflict these injuries, it would require some action on the part of the van driver. But your desperation to exonerate the cops has resulted in you denying the laws of physics and continuing (in other threads) to claim that Gray injured himself

I believe charges with stick as well.

It would lie within a jury to convict or acquit but with those severe injuries FG suffered, I think the State could prove their case.

Illegal detention over a legal knife, this young man should not have died as he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events