U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Status: "Finally Done With C-D BYE BYE" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,528,470 times
Reputation: 15431

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't believe that. Mosby's office employs a number of attorney's and investigators. The way it works on a major case is that a team of attorney's and investigators are assigned the case, Mosby does not do the investigation herself. They conduct the investigation, prepare a report and present that with their recommendations to the State Atttorney, it is then up to the State Attorney to sign off on it (and they don't usually even sign of on lesser cases, those just proceed through the system frequently without her knowledge) I don't believe that a team of investigators and attorneys would jeopardize their career by falsifying a report, or making claims they do not feel they could obtain a conviction on in order to placate a crowd. If they weren't comfortable in filing charges they would generally hand the case off to the grand jury.

The Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office - Bureaus & Units
Well then explain the idea of over-charging the 6 officers in the hopes of getting one or more to take a deal to flip on their co-workers?

Nobody but the S.A. seems to think they can get the most serious charges to stick on everyone but it sure did stop the unrest didn't it?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2015, 12:57 PM
 
1,077 posts, read 650,901 times
Reputation: 1636
See relevant transcript below.
NBCís Today
May 2, 2015
THOMAS ROBERTS: So Marilyn Mosby is Baltimoreís state attorney handling this case. And you just heard her in Lester's piece. Marilyn, it is great to have with us this morning. You also heard in Lesterís piece the fact that police are coming out, the Fraternal Order of Police, the unionís saying that this is an egregious rush to charge the six officers involved. How do you respond to that?

MARILYN MOSBY: I think thatís absolutely absurd. For my investigative team from the very beginning at the outset of this tragic incident, my team went out, I sent investigators, we spent between 12 and 14 hours a day trying to get to the bottom of this and what happened in this case. The Baltimore police department dedicated about 50 detectives to try to get to the bottom of this case. I think that that is absolutely absurd.

ROBERTS: So when you say that thatís absolutely absurd and you talk about the fact that you did your independent investigation. I have the statement of charges here that talks about the fact that Freddie was charged with having a switch blade or spring-activated knife. Has your office seen the evidence? Have you personally seen the evidence and you know for yourself that this was not an unlawful knife?

MOSBY: What I can tell you is exactly what I stated yesterday. What's in the statement of probable cause, I can tell you that we did an independent investigation, my investigators went to the scene, spoke to witnesses. I went to the scene. I spoke to witnesses. I can't get too far into details of the case because it is still a pending matter. But I can tell you that everything that is indicated in the statement of probable cause is accurate.





- See more at:
MSNBC


I figured reading it from SA Mosely herself would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 02:02 PM
LLN
 
Location: Upstairs closet
4,917 posts, read 8,378,286 times
Reputation: 6355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Good news that this case is going to trial. Too often cases involving officers don't even make it that far.
What goes to trial will hardly resemble the publicity driven charges levied by the racially motivated attorney.

I just hope she did not blow the whole deal by her prompt overzealous, thug appeasing, overcharging.

Yeah, it satisfied the crazies for a few days, but when cooler legal heads prevail, and most of these guys walk, and then sue, the "Burn this xxx down!" crowd will back with a further misguided vengeance.

You can take that to the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Southeast Michigan
2,839 posts, read 1,583,691 times
Reputation: 4521
After the Zimmerman case and the Ferguson fiasco I have very little trust in the impartiality of our DOJ or any prosecutor who's trying to appease the mob and claim the career ladder at the same time.

However, as the past two cases had shown, the jury sees right through their BS. So, let's let the jury decide. I have no opinion on that case other than that it brought the zombies out yet again. However, I've heard them cry "wolf" far too many times lately. With elections coming up the next year, they may be eager to keep the black voters all riled up and active. Although I think this is starting to have an opposite effect, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 02:08 PM
 
Location: la la land
27,372 posts, read 11,447,609 times
Reputation: 19362
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well then explain the idea of over-charging the 6 officers in the hopes of getting one or more to take a deal to flip on their co-workers?

Nobody but the S.A. seems to think they can get the most serious charges to stick on everyone but it sure did stop the unrest didn't it?...
huh? what makes you think they were 'overcharged'? How do you know that 'nobody' but the state attorney thinks the most serious charges will stick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 02:08 PM
 
1,077 posts, read 650,901 times
Reputation: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
What goes to trial will hardly resemble the publicity driven charges levied by the racially motivated attorney.

I just hope she did not blow the whole deal by her prompt overzealous, thug appeasing, overcharging.

Yeah, it satisfied the crazies for a few days, but when cooler legal heads prevail, and most of these guys walk, and then sue, the "Burn this xxx down!" crowd will back with a further misguided vengeance.

You can take that to the bank.

BBM

Racially motivated or outraged about the manner in which FG went to his demise?

I think the egregious nature of his injuries might have motived this very courageous SA to bring charges for the brutality, the not getting medical attention, multiple times along his 45 minute ride, is the motivation.

No one is above the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 02:11 PM
LLN
 
Location: Upstairs closet
4,917 posts, read 8,378,286 times
Reputation: 6355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
BBM

Racially motivated or outraged about the manner in which FG went to his demise?

I think the egregious nature of his injuries might have motived this very courageous SA to bring charges for the brutality, the not getting medical attention, multiple times along his 45 minute ride, is the motivation.

No one is above the law.

Maybe so, but when Alan Dershowitz, mr liberal himself, blasts the inept prosecuting attorney,there are troubles in river city. You might want to listen to Dershowitz has to say before you stake too much emotional capital in these bizarre charges.

Here is the man himself: http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/alan-d...-a-fair-trial/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 02:13 PM
 
Location: la la land
27,372 posts, read 11,447,609 times
Reputation: 19362
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
What goes to trial will hardly resemble the publicity driven charges levied by the racially motivated attorney.

I just hope she did not blow the whole deal by her prompt overzealous, thug appeasing, overcharging.

Yeah, it satisfied the crazies for a few days, but when cooler legal heads prevail, and most of these guys walk, and then sue, the "Burn this xxx down!" crowd will back with a further misguided vengeance.

You can take that to the bank.
take that to the bank? why, because you said it? I sure don't see any proof of one thing that you claimed, sounds to me like another opinion based upon nothing more than your own personal bias and what you read on some of the con blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 02:13 PM
 
1,077 posts, read 650,901 times
Reputation: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Maybe so, but when Alan Dershowitz, mr liberal himself, blasts the inept prosecuting attorney,there are troubles in river city. You might want to listen to Dershowitz has to say before you stake too much emotional capital in these bizarre charges.

Here is the man himself: Alan Dershowitz: Officers cannot get a fair trial - Videos - CBS News

Dershowitz needs to hang up his shingle. I heard him and he's just another talking head giving input.

I think when this goes to trial, we'll get a better grasp on what evidence the SA has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2015, 02:15 PM
LLN
 
Location: Upstairs closet
4,917 posts, read 8,378,286 times
Reputation: 6355
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
take that to the bank? why, because you said it? I sure don't see any proof of one thing that you claimed, sounds to me like another opinion based upon nothing more than your own personal bias and what you read on some of the con blogs
See above post, if Dershowitz is on a rant, you can be assured the charges stink! What you don't understand, I clearly believe wrong was done, but by going for the homerun, the prosecuter as screwed the pooch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top