U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 11:06 AM

7,328 posts, read 3,756,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Not necessarily. It depends on the specific conditions of probation offered by each state. I do not know where Maryland law stands on this, but the Griffin vs. Wisconsin case proved it.
[/i]
I didn't think we were in disagreement regarding probationary suspects, just on the multiple arrestees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 11:09 AM

27,291 posts, read 11,400,826 times
Quote:
Gray was on probation. Technically, I believe that any officer could stop and search him legally as part of the terms of his probation.
how do you know he was on probation? I understand that he had been on probation earlier, but I sure don't see a charge of violating probation in the charging document, do you?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/263671802/...ging-Documents

Old 05-01-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
We'll never know why he ran. My guess is he thought, 'Oh drat, they got me again' [for the 19th or 22nd or however many times it was] and I might get serious time.'

He survived many prior arrests by cops so this was a unique experience.
Yes he obviously survived with his life during many prior arrests. But there are a lot of bad things that occur that don't rise to the level of death while in custody, and that is my point. You point out that Mr. Gray had an extensive arrest record, almost entirely for small time drug possession, and many of those case were dismissed. So we know that Mr. Gray had rather extensive experience with the conditions that I outlined above, which for most of us are pretty damned horrific and that is the point.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:27 AM

4,589 posts, read 2,970,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
how do you know he was on probation? I understand that he had been on probation earlier, but I sure don't see a charge of violating probation in the charging document, do you?

[scribd]263671802[/scribd]http://www.scribd.com/doc/263671802/Freddie-Gray-Charging-Documents[/url]
According to the Baltimore Sun, he received "probation after conviction" of a drug charge in August of 2014. I do not know the expiration date however of that probation.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:29 AM

23,944 posts, read 17,609,324 times
Quote:
I have no skin in the game over whether or not the knife was legal. I only wanted to point out that as a multiple offender, he was subject to search by any police officer at any time.
understood.

what about fleeing the officers? would that be considered a probation violation?
seems like it would.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:25 PM

625 posts, read 440,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
understood.

what about fleeing the officers? would that be considered a probation violation?
seems like it would.
A probation violation does not deserve a death sentence. Why did the cops even need to bother with him?

Just because.

Because why?

Because they can.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:47 PM

30,511 posts, read 9,123,268 times
Must be the pits to have all these interactions with law enforcement and the court system. How do so many of us manage to live our entire lives without a rap sheet?

Old 05-01-2015, 07:07 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,501,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Must be the pits to have all these interactions with law enforcement and the court system. How do so many of us manage to live our entire lives without a rap sheet?
Very,very lucky.

Why do people run from cops? Easy, they might just get away and not be caught again for quite a while. As Freddie's bail bondsman has said "he ran because the last time he stood still he caught a case".

It's not so much the cops that've gotten out of hand, tune-up's and attitude adjustments that's nothing new and has been around long before anyone on here were born.

What's gotten out of hand is our cities,counties,states and U.S. government using the law (both existing and by creating thousands of new ones yearly) to impose taxes (fines) and manipulate the population at the end of a gun.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It is and do I need to explain this to you?

Old 05-01-2015, 08:19 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,098,930 times
That means he was even more stupid to run OP. Basically he just commit a violation no matter if the arrest on knife was illegal arrest. Its same as risking arrest ;even if not charge with original you can't resist; that is the supreme court that long ago ruled that.Only dumby criminals run from law because the offenses just start building. No resistance;keep mouth shut and seek council.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or