Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:49 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times

Advertisements

Things that make you go Hmm.....

Questions raised over links between Freddie Gray attorney and female Baltimore chief prosecutor: Lawyer was among biggest campaign donors AND 'mentor' to woman now responsible for indicting six cops on murder charges

Didn't take long for media to raise issue about the charges themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 09:54 AM

If any of this is true, I can see where the defense lawyers will have a field day with it. Asking for immediate dismissal.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:58 AM

625 posts, read 624,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If any of this is true, I can see where the defense lawyers will have a field day with it. Asking for immediate dismissal.
Only in your dreams. If (big if) there were a conflict of interest, she'd be asked to recuse herself. A new state's attorney would be appointed.

Try again.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
Only in your dreams. If (big if) there were a conflict of interest, she'd be asked to recuse herself. A new state's attorney would be appointed. .
Do you speak for the Attorney's office, or do you make assumption and state it as fact.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:04 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
There is at least an appearance of impropriety. What's much more intense is the pressure she is getting from the African-American community to charge the cops. She's in a horrible spot either way.

But let's be real, he contributed just $4,000. He's no Coke, I mean, Koch brothers.

Mick

Old 05-01-2015, 10:14 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
The Baltimore Sun has released a letter from the Fraternal Order of Police requesting that Mosby recuse herself.

The Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 3 is asking Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby to appoint a special prosecutor to the Freddie Gray investigation because of her personal connection to the Gray family’s attorney, William H. “Billy” Murphy Jr., and her marriage to a City Councilman.

The letter from FOP President Gene Gyan also states that none of the six officers involved in Gray’s arrest and death were responsible for the 25-year-old West Baltimore man’s death that spurred a night of rioting, looting, protests and unrest. The letter was released just minutes before Mosby announced charges against the officers.

“Not one of the officers involved in this tragic situation left home in the morning with the anticipation that someone with whom they interacted would not go home that night,” the letter states. “As tragic as this situation is, none of the officers involved are responsible for the death of Mr. Gray.”

Ryan requests that Mosby “appoint a Special Independent Prosecutor.”

“I have very deep concerns about the many conflicts of interest presented by your office conducting an investigation in this case,” the letter states.

“These conflicts include your personal and professional relations with Gray family attorney, William Murphy, and the lead prosecutor’s connections with members of the local media,” the letter states. “Based on several nationally televised interviews, these reporters are likely to be witnesses in any potential litigation regarding this incident.”

Murphy supported Mosby during her campaign last year. He donated $5,000 to her campaign and served on her transition committee.

In a statement to The Baltimore Sun, Mosby said the Gray case doesn’t pose any conflicts for her and the police union donated to other candidates in election to be the state’s attorney.

“State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby has been elected by the residents in Baltimore City to uphold the law in every neighborhood including her own, regardless of if her husband is the councilman within the district where numerous crimes occur,” said spokeswoman Rochelle Ritchie. “Hundreds of people donated to her campaign. There is no conflict of interest surrounding Billy Murphy. He is representing the family in a civil case which has nothing to do with the criminal case.”

The FOP letter also expresses problems with Mosby’s marriage to Baltimore City Councilman Nick Mosby.

“Most importantly, it is clear that your husband’s political future will be directly impacted, for better or worse, by the outcome of your investigation,” the letter states. “In order to avoid any appearance of impropriety or a violation of the Professional Rules of Professional Responsibilty, I ask that you appoint a Special Prosecutor to determine whether or not any charges should be filed.”

The letter continued:

“We recognize that there are many dimensions to this situation: the public sentiments – on all sides; the investigation being conducted by your office; the internal police investigation; and a necessary review of the tools, equipment, and resources afforded to Baltimore police officers in order to carry out their sworn duty as police officers.”

Ryan could not be reached for comment.

The letter also states that the officers involved in the case are “sincerely saddened by Mr. Gray’s passing.”

“They are all committed police officers who have dedicated their careers to the Baltimore City Police Department,” he writes. “And that has been lost in all of the publicity. All death is tragic. And death associated with interaction with police is both shocking and frightening to the public. Not one of the officers involved in this tragic situation left home in the morning with the anticipation that someone with whom they interacted would not go home that night. As tragic as this situation is, none of the officers involved are responsible for the death of Mr. Gray.”

“To the contrary, at all times, each of the officers diligently balanced their obligations to protect Mr. Gray and discharge their duties to protect the public,” the letter states.

“I have full faith in your professional integrity. While I have the utmost respect for you and your office, I have very deep concerns about the many conflicts of interest presented by your office conducting an investigation in this case.”

The Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 3 is asking Ba...

Old 05-01-2015, 11:38 PM

178 posts, read 232,352 times
Once I heard that the Gray Lawyer was the DA's mentor, I knew that the cops would be indicted. How could she not? Plus, if she didn't charge the officers, she would not get re-elected next year and neither would her husband. She should have been removed from the case as I don't see how she could be impartial in this case.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:39 AM

^It's not even a question of being impartial. Any defense lawyer is going to immediately ask for charges to be dropped because of this conflict of interest. If not granted, they have grounds for appeal. It's a mess, no doubt about it.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:05 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
It isnt the state charges that would be as worrisome for the officers as it will be the federal ones... because of the " three black women speech" of the mayor

Federal control of law enforcement has always been the drumbeat of Obamas administration ... this case will be a great cause for the administration to champion and the people will hand it to him.

There appears to me to be very clear grounds for recusal in this case as previously stated... and also that the da had really no other choice but to charge... overcharging may end up being a tactical error... so I await the "trial"

Old 05-02-2015, 04:01 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Isn't it interesting how the public isn't even talking about the rioters anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events