Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 10:09 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Back in the 70s many big cities elected black mayors, councilmen, school board members, etc. The idea was that with an ALL black government education would eventually improve and that the inner city folks would get out of the hole.

It did not happen: Having a black government did not help the poor because those in charge were lining their pockets as politicians of all colors do. For example mayor Marion Barry hire one of his concubines to teach inner city girls how to do their fingernails and gave her a juicy government contract. MArion Barry was a crack head and is still a legend among DC voters and was known as "mayor for life".

Obama won and black folks are no better. It seems Bill Clinton was more black than Obama.

How can the inner city folks be helped? I see a devastating situation with no real solution.

I think in the end this is all about FAMILY. Those folks with great families do well regardless of skin color. There is no FAMILY in the inner city.

Toya Graham the woman that beat up her son after she caught him rioting has been called "mother of the year". Really? If her son was rioting she obviously failed as a parent. Toya is an unwed mother with six kids and I suspect her kids will not get out of the hole. They will be Baltimore inner city kids destined to fail.

So what can be done?

Great kids often have a good FAMILY with great parents. How can we give a good FAMILY to the inner city kids? Forget the adults, there are goners!
Your observations are absolutely correct. In my opinion, it is all about parenting and family structure. Many Hispanics live in the same inner city conditions that African Americans do, yet most Hispanics have strong family structure so you don't see them facing the same problems as many blacks. The Hispanic community tends to act as an 'extended family' for others in the community. I also agree with the poster, that mentioned Hispanic immigrants in the inner city tend to score higher in English on tests than native blacks, which doesn't make sense.

It's not just a race thing either. Many Africans and Carribeans who come to the U.S. have strong parenting, and they do quite well. I grew up in the burbs, and had many good African American friends from good families that are doing fine. I'm not sure what can be done in the inner city. It seems like a viscous cycle.

A huge infusion of mentors that can get to these kids at any early age to change the next generation's mentality, coupled with much stronger policing in dangerous neighborhoods. Unfortunately with the relationships between police in the inner city, that will be difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 10:14 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,023 times
Just because Obama's black doesn't mean he owes a responsibility to all 60 million blacks in america.

The man is the leader for ALL the people not "some" of them.

Maybe if more of these women utilized birth control and stopped bringing children into messed up poverty situations on purpose, then there would be no "inner cities" for those poor blacks living in them.

I've never understood this. You're poor, living in a ravaged neighborhood, but yet, you CONTINUE to have more kids as though abortion and birth control are not available.

I wonder if there's been any psychological studies done on those families (of all races) who do this and what the findings were.

^^Again, the above is for ALL races NOT just blacks. I know how "some" on city data do.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:14 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
It doesn't help when the president of the United States says about a young black thug ( Trayvon Martin )............."if I had a son ,he would look just like Trayvon"

When the President of the United States wants to make a street thug his hypothetical son, we got trouble !
No, the real problem white conservatives had with Obama’s statements on Trayvon Martin is rooted in the president identifying with other blacks. We’ve seen this over and over from conservatives. Selecting a black AG, there’s a problem. Identifying with a black child murdered, there’s a problem. Being against blacks being gunned down by the police, there’s a problem! There will be no pleasing your type for this president.

Luckily Obama fundamentally changed America for the better and this type of thinking is now under attack. The American status-quo will defiantly not go down without a fight…

Old 05-02-2015, 10:17 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
This statement alone shows you don’t know what you’re talking about. It’s comical! First off, blacks as a group are doing much better we were under the last presidency. And Bill Clinton is a white man. Saying he’s “more black” than Obama is foolish.
No one denies many black Americans are thriving. But, somehow a small segment has been left behind and they cannot come out.

It is easy for a person with no prior ancestry of slavery to assume it should be easy to make it in the USA. It does not work that way and the ancestral baggage is HUGE. How does one break the inheritance of negative MEMES?

Why do many Cubans have an educational and socioeconomic level that is at the same level of Anglo Americans? They have good MEMES! How can black Americans get some of those good MEMES and leave the bad ones behind?

The saying Bill CLinton was the first black American president is OLD. I am surprised you never heard about it.

As for Obama: He is out of touch with the average black person. Obama had good MEMES and he does not understand blacks with bad MEMES. He does not get it! And white Americans don't egt it either. IN fact, most American blacks have no clue about this either.

Quote:
"...humans are a species splendid in their array of moral equipment, tragic in their propensity to misuse it, and pathetic in their constitutional ignorance of the misuse."
The Moral Animal

Old 05-02-2015, 10:20 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Maybe if more of these women utilized birth control and stopped bringing children into messed up poverty situations on purpose, then there would be no "inner cities" for those poor blacks living in them.

I've never understood this. You're poor, living in a ravaged neighborhood, but yet, you CONTINUE to have more kids as though abortion and birth control are not available.
MEMES are powerful. We are the synthesis of our ancestors. Telling someone "don't do that" does not work if they have bad MEMES.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:24 AM

950 posts, read 923,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
No, the real problem white conservatives had with Obama’s statements on Trayvon Martin is rooted in the president identifying with other blacks. We’ve seen this over and over from conservatives. Selecting a black AG, there’s a problem. Identifying with a black child murdered, there’s a problem. Being against blacks being gunned down by the police, there’s a problem! There will be no pleasing your type for this president.

Luckily Obama fundamentally changed America for the better and this type of thinking is now under attack. The American status-quo will defiantly not go down without a fight…
President Bush had 2 daughters........no son
President Obama had 2 daughters ...no son

President Obama injected his nose in the Trayvon Martin case by claiming the young black thug as his hypothetical son

President Bush .......never did, never would have........stuck his nose into a case involving a white thug and claimed him as his hypothetical son.

But, Barack HUSSEIN Obama's goal is to further divide our nation along racial lines.
That goal he has accomplished !

Old 05-02-2015, 10:26 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,781 times
Blacks are watching Asians and Hispanics who come here often not knowing the language, often with nothing but the shirts on their back, surpass them.

That's what happens when you do nothing but WATCH!

Old 05-02-2015, 10:27 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,500 times
Here they go again...

Quote:
Back in the 70s many big cities elected black mayors, councilmen, school board members, etc. The idea was that with an ALL black government education would eventually improve and that the inner city folks would get out of the hole.
The "idea" was never to have an all black government, that would be just a figment of a racist mind to think such a thing.

Quote:
For example mayor Marion Barry
Seriously? What about Ernest Dutch Morial, Andrew Young, Coleman Hawkins, Ed Bradley, Harold Washington, Louis Stokes, Maynard Jackson, Willie Brown, Kevin Johnson, Michael Nutter, John Marks, and I could go on and on.

Quote:
I think in the end this is all about FAMILY.
The only family that your post makes me think of is Archie Bunkers. Families don't bring in jobs, families don't redirect Federal funding from the suburbs to the cities, families don't get rural dominated state legislatures to deal with the problems of urban America, families don't build tax bases after years of mindless white flight. So sorry, I don't buy the family solution to urban problems.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:38 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,025,023 times
Quote:
MEMES are powerful. We are the synthesis of our ancestors. Telling someone "don't do that" does not work if they have bad MEMES.
Could you please explain what you mean by "MEMES"? Thanks.

I don't post on here that often, so I'm not hip to other conversations on whatever it is you're talking about.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:41 AM

404 posts, read 385,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post

The reason is clear...no one can force a people strive. They have to decide to do it for themselves. This is going to mean blacks making the decision for themselves to pay attention in class, stay away from drugs, negotiate problems rather than use violence, and abstain for unprotected sex to avoid both AIDS and unwanted pregnancy. This is going to mean blacks owning their problems, and not blaming imaginary boogymen from 150 years ago. This is going to take personal responsibility, and nothing else will do.
Take out "blacks" and just say EVERYONE! This applies to all. Everyone has to make a decision to strive and do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events