Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 11:45 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,328,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I think in the end this is all about FAMILY. Those folks with great families do well regardless of skin color. There is no FAMILY in the inner city.

Toya Graham the woman that beat up her son after she caught him rioting has been called "mother of the year". Really? If her son was rioting she obviously failed as a parent. Toya is an unwed mother with six kids and I suspect her kids will not get out of the hole. They will be Baltimore inner city kids destined to fail.

So what can be done?

Great kids often have a good FAMILY with great parents. How can we give a good FAMILY to the inner city kids? Forget the adults, there are goners!
To provide stable families, get Big Brother out of the picture. Teach self-reliance and autonomy, instead of directing young people toward a nanny-state -- the principal goal of which is an ever-expading cilentele, and a ever-expanding budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 01:13 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
To provide stable families, get Big Brother out of the picture. Teach self-reliance and autonomy, instead of directing young people toward a nanny-state -- the principal goal of which is an ever-expading cilentele, and a ever-expanding budget.
Black men need decent jobs. White men do, also, but the Black men are more likely not to have jobs available. They can't be self-reliant and autonomous without means.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:21 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,117,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
....just throwing this out there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/op...cess.html?_r=0

Data show Nigerians the most educated in the U.S. - Houston Chronicle

So perhaps, just perhaps slavery had a hideously long lasting effect for African-Americans? People tend to downplay the effect slavery had on the psyche of American black people. Because if you take slavery off of the table, black ethnic immigrants are some of the wealthiest & most educated groups in the U.S. and surpass American whites in income and education.
No...this represents a kind of extreme brain drain. You are talking about the cream of the crop coming from Nigeria in minuscule numbers and doing well. Good for them, but it is irrelevant to the conversation because it is a fallacy of small numbers situation.

Sorry, but events of 150 ago do not effect us today. The problems facing the black community were not there at the end of slavery, nor even Jim Crow. They are new evils created by entitlement mentality and liberalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Black men need decent jobs. White men do, also, but the Black men are more likely not to have jobs available. They can't be self-reliant and autonomous without means.
Please. because of affirmative action and fear of court actions, blacks are guaranteed jobs even if not qualified. All they have to do is keep their noses clean and apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Julian658, you mention, “Obama won and black folks are no better”. This can’t be farther from the truth. I pointed out how black folks are much better than we were under the previous administration. You know, when he first won! The statistics speak for itself. As for a “small segment” being left behind. There are people from all races that are still struggling. As for blacks we have a long way left to go to get where I believe we should be. Institutional racism as well as bad primary schooling has really affected our ability for upper mobility. But despite the challenges we are still rising…
They are still losing ground relative to all other ethnic groups, so how well are they doing, really? Again, studies are showing that they do poorly in English exams relative to ESL students. It is not a "small segment," but a national embarrassment and it must be admitted and owned by blacks before it can be overcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipepper35 View Post
Take out "blacks" and just say EVERYONE! This applies to all. Everyone has to make a decision to strive and do better.
Yes...all other groups in America are doing so.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:23 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Your observations are absolutely correct. In my opinion, it is all about parenting and family structure. Many Hispanics live in the same inner city conditions that African Americans do, yet most Hispanics have strong family structure so you don't see them facing the same problems as many blacks. The Hispanic community tends to act as an 'extended family' for others in the community. I also agree with the poster, that mentioned Hispanic immigrants in the inner city tend to score higher in English on tests than native blacks, which doesn't make sense.

It's not just a race thing either. Many Africans and Carribeans who come to the U.S. have strong parenting, and they do quite well. I grew up in the burbs, and had many good African American friends from good families that are doing fine. I'm not sure what can be done in the inner city. It seems like a viscous cycle.

A huge infusion of mentors that can get to these kids at any early age to change the next generation's mentality, coupled with much stronger policing in dangerous neighborhoods. Unfortunately with the relationships between police in the inner city, that will be difficult.
Clearly you have never lived near a neighborhood occupied by hispanic gangs, have you?

Old 05-02-2015, 01:25 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Please. because of affirmative action and fear of court actions, blacks are guaranteed jobs even if not qualified. All they have to do is keep their noses clean and apply.
Why would anyone say something that stupid

Old 05-02-2015, 01:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
Do I have to give up my white privilege even thou I am of Middle Eastern descent and living in America

Old 05-02-2015, 01:28 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,117,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why would anyone say something that stupid
Uh, because that is what affirmative action is.

Own the problem, or you will always be in last place. I only say it because I care. My people (white) and my wife's people (Hispanic) are doing outstanding, and will continue to do so. This is tough love.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:58 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,967,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I can have a great family but IF I'm born into poverty - even with a good family - I'm likely to remain in poverty.

IF I have a wealthy say, single mother, I'm still more likely to be wealthy than someone born into a poor family.

Socioeconomic status matters.

How do we raise people up out of poverty? It seems like we've been talking about this for 40 years and the more we talk - the more things stay the same.
I believe is more than 40 years. When did we start building public housing projects? I know some people think many of those developers were unscrupulous people that didn't care if they were making societies worse but I highly doubt many could predict what would happen in the future. I don't think anybody could foresee what drug addiction and drug trade would do to our cities. My guess is that there were people with good intentions but the execution of the plan was a total disaster. This experiment has also failed in Latin America, they build new homes for poor people, they put them together and their children get involved in criminal activities.

I do agree the problem is poverty but I don't know if there is any solution at all. It's easy to say "live and let die" "they asked for it" but those answers don't comfort me because I cannot lie to myself and ignore that there are children and disabled people involved.

And those who think removing welfare would be a solution are nuts. We don't live in the same society that existed before these programs were created. Poor people now have access to firearms. Instead of wasting your "tax dollars" they will get "your" dollars directly from you and not from their EBT cards.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:11 PM

404 posts, read 385,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
No...this represents a kind of extreme brain drain. You are talking about the cream of the crop coming from Nigeria in minuscule numbers and doing well. Good for them, but it is irrelevant to the conversation because it is a fallacy of small numbers situation.

Sorry, but events of 150 ago do not effect us today. The problems facing the black community were not there at the end of slavery, nor even Jim Crow. They are new evils created by entitlement mentality and liberalism.

They are still losing ground relative to all other ethnic groups, so how well are they doing, really? Again, studies are showing that they do poorly in English exams relative to ESL students. It is not a "small segment," but a national embarrassment and it must be admitted and owned by blacks before it can be overcome.

Yes...all other groups in America are doing so.
Oh, so there are no Black people busting their butts, providing for their families, getting multiple degrees, owning businesses and living the good life. Where on earth do you live? Every group has bums and every group has people that are working their behinds off.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:14 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I can have a great family but IF I'm born into poverty - even with a good family - I'm likely to remain in poverty.

IF I have a wealthy say, single mother, I'm still more likely to be wealthy than someone born into a poor family.

Socioeconomic status matters.

How do we raise people up out of poverty? It seems like we've been talking about this for 40 years and the more we talk - the more things stay the same.
To get out of the hole is not about money. We have all seen folks that made a ton a money and remained thugs. Aaron Hernandez was a multimillionaire, but he was still a thug.

Getting out of the inner city mind set means having a change in culture. The obsession with money and the acquisition of money is not the issue for black America. The issue for blackAmerica is a cultural one. In some other circles it is known as the culture of the poor and making money foes not get rid of the cultural traits and MEMES.

I am fully convinced most poor and well do do blacks have no clue about how to advance to a different level. And I repeat: That cultural level is not about money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events