U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 09:20 AM

124 posts, read 107,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It was never about black versus white...it was and is about cops versus blacks...it is an institutionalized racism in some departments that apparently is not limited to white cops only...what is the point of pointing this out? Are some of you actually arguing that because 3 of the cops were black, then Grey wasn't a victim of racism? Sorry but it's not that black and white, pun intended.

My comment is just my personal findings from what I've been reading. In the beginning, it was a race issue until they disclosed the identity of the 6 officers involved. At least that's how the protestors msg came across to me.

Yes...LEO's do target blacks most of the time but depending on the racial makeup of the neighborhood they patrol, sometimes they target Hispanics, Asians and Caucasians as well. I used to live in a Asian neighborhood with 2 prominent Asian gangs constantly fighting each other. Everyday, all I saw was Asians getting pulled over and searched. I rarely saw Caucasians getting that treatment.

I don't like to paint all LEO's with such a broad brush. There are many who follow procedures and risk their lives to keep us safe. They have a tough job when they are given descriptions of suspects and are told the perp is a black guy, they have to go out and look at all black guys they see in the streets. Then they get accused of racial profiling. That is a rough job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 09:21 AM

8,401 posts, read 9,867,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Oh please, let's not let critical thinking get in the way of the mob.
Many things "could" have happened, we'll have to wait and see or, we can just toss the six in jail for life right now on the word of one elected official...
LMAO, oh, I guess your right.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:24 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,482,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If he did actually have drugs in his system would have no more bearing on his injuries than the fact that he wore a blue shirt rather than a red one.

Here is what I do know "for certain" Gray was in the back of that van alone, hands and feet shackled; he was alive and conscious when he entered the back of the van and placed on life support some 45 minutes later when he was removed from it. Baltimore PD has settled at least 5 lawsuits for the practice of "rough ride", three of the defendants ended up paralyzed as a result. Rough ride, also known as; nickel ride, screen test, van therapy. Those are all terms for a widely used LE tactic of placing a shackled prisoner in the back of a police transport vehicle and driving erratically causing the prisoner to repeatedly strike the metal walls of the van with significant force generated by velocity created from rapid acceleration and deceleration.
Ok, let me ask you this. If Freddie"s rap sheet is of no consequence in this then why is what was done in the van in the past relevant?

Answer: They both are or neither are.
As for what bearing having Heroin in his system has? Well, he's got no priors for Heroin use as far as I can see so it might very well point to the statements that he was dealing Heroin and swallowed it prior to being caught to avoid arrest.
That in and of itself would lend credence to the statement by the "shadow cop's" description of probable cause to arrest Freddie.
I guess we'll all find out sometime this year...

Old 05-04-2015, 09:29 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,202,464 times
Well, police brutality is nothing new. In fact, if you know anyone who grew up in the Soviet Union or Nazi Germany, they can tell what real police brutality is like... No matter what these anonymous internet "activists" like to say the police system in the USA is nowhere near as bad. Yes, individual cops go bad and sometimes lose it, but it's the exception, not the norm. Of course people being gullible as they are, when one case gets reported and it's in the news 24/7 weeks on end, this one lone incident becomes an all-consuming crisis for many people. All perspective has now been lost (thanks to the media) and as a result we were on the verge of yet another prolonged race riot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
I believe, sometimes, even law abiding citizens come under attack by a brutal police force, think Jonathan Ferrell from SC.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:30 AM

1,077 posts, read 683,716 times
Quote:
Ok, let me ask you this. If Freddie"s rap sheet is of no consequence in this then why is what was done in the van in the past relevant?

As for what bearing having Heroin in his system has? Well, he's got no priors for Heroin use as far as I can see so it might very well point to the statements that he was dealing Heroin and swallowed it prior to being caught to avoid arrest.
That in and of itself would lend credence to the statement by the "shadow cop's" description of probable cause to arrest Freddie.

the only facts we know are laid out in the probable cause affidavit.

no one knows if this heroin BS is true and if it was, then why wasn't that written on their arrest document?

The only thing written on that was the 'switchblade', no mention of seeing FG dealing or swallowing drugs.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:31 AM

30,913 posts, read 13,482,034 times
Quote:

So now you shift from the alleged heroin use contributing to his injuries to that it provided probable cause for the police to arrest him? And you are saying that he was stopped for dealing drugs and while running he swallowed heroin but that no police officer present witnessed that or even claimed it occurred? Heck, why not go for the gold and claim he had a gun and swallowed that while he was running and it stuck in his throat and caused the injuries lololol

Old 05-04-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki6 View Post
My comment is just my personal findings from what I've been reading. In the beginning, it was a race issue until they disclosed the identity of the 6 officers involved. At least that's how the protestors msg came across to me.

Yes...LEO's does target blacks most of the time but depending on the racial makeup of the neighborhood they patrol, sometimes they target Hispanics, Asians and Caucasians as well. I used to live in a Asian neighborhood with 2 prominent Asian gangs constantly fighting each other. Everyday, all I saw was Asians getting pulled over and searched. I rarely saw Caucasians getting that treatment.

I don't like to paint all LEO's with such a broad brush. There are many who follow procedures and risk their lives to keep us safe. They have a tough job when they are given descriptions of suspects and are told the perp is a black guy, they have to go out and look at all black guys they see in the streets. Then they get accused of racial profiling. That is a rough job.
It is, and this is a very good point. My deceased brother was an officer, they get tainted rather quickly working in areas of high crime. They lose compassion and these things do happen. I often wondered why they don't rotate in and out of these areas more to allow them to heal mentally.

But, the bigger problem is why is our cultural population being targeted? And why do gangs thrive in them? It's a larger problem that needs fixing. It's harder for them to make a normal living, and when you are born into it you know nothing else but that. These individual cases and debating them just serves to promote anxiety. It doesn't address the real issues.
Ah, but as I've been told, I'm getting in tooo deep.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Well, police brutality is nothing new. In fact, if you know anyone who grew up in the Soviet Union or Nazi Germany, they can tell what real police brutality is like... No matter what these anonymous internet "activists" like to say the police system in the USA is nowhere near as bad. Yes, individual cops go bad and sometimes lose it, but it's the exception, not the norm. Of course people being gullible as they are, when one case gets reported and it's in the news 24/7 weeks on end, this one lone incident becomes an all-consuming crisis for many people. All perspective has now been lost (thanks to the media) and as a result we were on the verge of yet another prolonged race riot.
Oh yes, at least we are better than the old Soviet Union. It's all from Hitler isn't it, this whole problem.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:39 AM

2,978 posts, read 1,209,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
And the back story

He didn't want to get murdered by thugs in his community for his earlier statement so he backpeddled... let's not make CD assumptions... OK? I an quite sure any statement he made has been tape recorded and submitted with the investigation package...
That's was my thought too. When he made the statement he didn't know the case was going to be known. Once it was every where he realized it would not be good for him to have said that.
Of course I also recognize it could be the leaked report was wrong.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:41 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,482,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So now you shift from the alleged heroin use contributing to his injuries to that it provided probable cause for the police to arrest him? And you are saying that he was stopped for dealing drugs and while running he swallowed heroin but that no police officer present witnessed that or even claimed it occurred? Heck, why not go for the gold and claim he had a gun and swallowed that while he was running and it stuck in his throat and caused the injuries lololol
No.
I'd highly suggest you re-read what I've posted, you might actually understand it the second or third time.
I've said that the Heroin in his system (not use as there's no evidence of prior "use") could have led to his death. Dealers frequently swallow drugs to avoid arrest and just as frequently there is an adverse reaction when those swallowed drugs accidentally enter the blood stream.
It was also explained by the cop that when a suspect swallows the evidence they don't use that for probable cause because the evidence is inside the suspect and will instead use something else to hold them.
Now if you'd be ok with a forced stomach pumping to retrieve the evidence? Somehow I'd guess not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or