U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-04-2015, 04:50 PM
 
Location: California
124 posts, read 101,194 times
Reputation: 84

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Right. Blacks should have a sense of humor about the 'n' word. Ha. Ha.


The things you read on C-D.
Your words...not mine.



Yep, the darn things we read on C-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2015, 05:10 PM
 
56 posts, read 52,211 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Your not making any sense at all as an "apologist." Facts are he was arrested and kidnapped for no reason, shackled for no reason, and killed in the hands of the Police. That's all that is needed to know. These Police will do time. You can't spin that off.

Personally I do think that the officers were grossly negligent and I do hope that at least some of the 6 will be convicted on some of the charges, even if that means just the lesser ones. But the reality is, the system is set up to protect officers.

One example is that Officer Miller is being charged with false imprisonment, which is extremely uncommon. The argument by Mosby is that there was no probable cause to arrest Gray. But...Probable cause means exactly that its probable. It means that the officers reasoning behind a probable cause doesn't have to be correct, simply that there is enough to believe an arrest is warranted. If officers made a mistake in arresting a civilian then the correction to that mistake would be to have the charges dropped; probably cause give officers this much leeway for mistakes.

So the next argument is that "well the knife/blade/w/e was found inside his pocket so they couldn't possible have probably cause if they couldn't see what was in his pocket". And that statement in it of itself is correct. But the officers made eye contact with Gray, at that point he ran. If someone runs from an officer in a high crime area you can be DETAINED. During detainment you can be cuffed and be searched. And I am sure that the defense would say that the blade was found during that detainment and then he was charged with carrying a weapon.

Note that I am making all these arguments based only on the information that was released, specifically from http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-timeline.html

So maybe Mosby has other evidence that can make her case stronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2015, 05:26 PM
 
Location: LEAVING CD
22,947 posts, read 21,591,434 times
Reputation: 15436
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
Gasping at straws much?

Even if (big IF) he had drugs and swallowed them and they contributed to his death, that still does not explain his severe spinal injury and crushed voice box ---- or ---- does it in your magical make-believe land?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Some may call it that because some don't know what bigoted means. Looking for any excuse, no matter how stupid, to excuse a black man's death is actually bigoted.



Ah, the old "I'm not an expert, but let me tell you why you're wrong and I'm right" routine. Try again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
This is an absolute false dichotomy. You argue like you cannot employ logical thought at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Well, we do know what didn't happen..He wasn't buckled into van and he was obviously in pain when initially thrown onto stomach into that van handcuffed behind his back then of course the rather round-a-bout side for 45 minutes stopping 4 other times until when arrivals @PD he was unresponsive and paramedics called..found him VSA (Vital Signs Absent)..Following that description of 80% of spinal cord severed and larynx crushed..had surgery to stabilize neck..unconscious/intubated on life support for a week ..then pronounced DEAD!

Now as for what I know as not only a sufferer of C-5 - C-6 injuries (Spinal Fusion 2000) but add onto that a trauma and ICU nurse, (25 years) who dealt with spinal cord injuries for a multitude of reasons. I believe I can state some factual things like pain levels, initial transient numbness and inability to use limbs then right down to actual severing of spinal cord symptomology ..Depending on what level..Severing partial or complete causes a lack of neuro impulses below that severing..so would affect his breathing and cardiovascular function (which is life threatening)...

SO, Just maybe stop blaming this victim of police neglect and abuse ..maybe try to walk a bock in his shoes though he was unable to walk in those shoes to that police van...Obviously he was NOT Faking..His request for medic ignored makes all 6 liable 100% for all them who didn't respond to that request or observations.

No Witch burnings nor Hang 'em high here at all..All that's needed is that responsibility be taken and justice to happen. Apologist's just aren't going to change the facts as we already know right now..I'm sure there will be more facts coming out once their "Charge Hearing" comes about.

Suppositions inserted as fact then proven as mis-information leaked..however, those MIS-Informations keep getting used as factual enough to speculate and make up some sort of off the wall scenario
Okay,okay I give up! Y'all are right, all the cops are guilty as hell based on what we the public have been told so far (or you were there to see it all) so let's just dispense with the waste of time trial and go right to sentencing.

I mean, that's what y'all are advocating be done so let's just save some $$$ and get it done right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2015, 06:01 PM
 
Location: 23.7 million to 162 million miles North of Venus
5,354 posts, read 4,834,722 times
Reputation: 4275
[snipped]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
...he was obviously in pain when initially thrown onto stomach into that van handcuffed behind his back...


..maybe try to walk a bock in his shoes though he was unable to walk in those shoes to that police van...Obviously he was NOT Faking..
He was not "thrown" into the van. He was 'placed' into the van on his stomach and then pulled back out to 'stand' on the edge of the van then he 'walked' into the van--as seen in the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2015, 06:11 PM
 
56 posts, read 52,211 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
[snipped]

He was not "thrown" into the van. He was 'placed' into the van on his stomach and then pulled back out to 'stand' on the edge of the van then he 'walked' into the van--as seen in the video.
To be fair, it looked like he was barely able to get into the van. When I watched the video it looked like he was barely able to stand on one of his legs in order to get into the van. But he was also screaming while being dragged to the van.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2015, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Gods country
5,364 posts, read 4,045,404 times
Reputation: 7440
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Okay,okay I give up! Y'all are right, all the cops are guilty as hell based on what we the public have been told so far (or you were there to see it all) so let's just dispense with the waste of time trial and go right to sentencing.

I mean, that's what y'all are advocating be done so let's just save some $$$ and get it done right now...
Don't give up jimj, you are running circles around these other posters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2015, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,401 posts, read 9,582,254 times
Reputation: 7421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Oh please, let's not let critical thinking get in the way of the mob.
Many things "could" have happened, we'll have to wait and see or, we can just toss the six in jail for life right now on the word of one elected official...
Did I miss something? Was he not dying? Bueller?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2015, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Kirkland, WA (Metro Seattle)
3,463 posts, read 2,854,816 times
Reputation: 5985
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbf2324 View Post
Personally I do think that the officers were grossly negligent and I do hope that at least some of the 6 will be convicted on some of the charges, even if that means just the lesser ones. But the reality is, the system is set up to protect officers.
They'll get their day in court. That's what matters.

I think trials like this...of these officers... are theoretically good for the collective social conscience of Americans. Police who are accused fair and square by prosecutors for misconduct do indeed need to be tried in court. And, as-always, most of the evidence will come out, and be judged on merit.

What is NOT good, however: I am disturbed with verdicts rendered by the system that are viewed as somehow "unfair". In modern times, anyway. If there is one thing professional people despise more than any other, it is bum riots. If you'd call a snap-election the day that is happening, I'm reasonably sure we'd all vote to have them rounded up tomorrow.

Martin-Zimmerman trial seemed fair, for those who actually read the court transcript (I read part of it). Everyone got their day in court, the credible being separated from incredible fairly quickly. Heck, even OJ trial was "fair" in the sense that it was fought by teams of prosecutors and lawyers, and Reasonable Doubt won the day. Casey Anthony slipped through the same slippery door of "Reasonable Doubt," distasteful though it was to anyone with an IQ over 85. There was plenty of reasonable doubt for Darren Wilson, little for the 'Gentle Giant'; the facts stood alone (again, based on grand jury transcript summary released to the public). Fair, all of it, per our judicial system. Don't like it, move back to Russia where those who can pay off the greatest number of corrupt officials tend to win the day.

I was on a jury in January for King County court (Seattle). The SOB on trial was guilty of something, we all knew it. Emotionally, I'd have laughed and enjoyed watching three fat cops work him over with truncheons and boots, then off for a month in a body cast followed by some quality jail time with the homies. Rationally, the five of us (one juror was mentally out to lunch) knew he was Not Guilty, so we fought over the merits for an hour and a half but all came to the same reluctant conclusion. Oh, if anyone cares, Defendant was White, a POS low-level mob enforcer from Central Europe (I personally suspect).

Hey, I slept great that night, day we announced verdict to the court: we did the "right" thing, which by mob-rule was *not* the right thing. With one exception, though, there were no bums or "social activists" on this particular jury, all had time to speak their mind, so justice really did work the way it should.

Mobs who kill and destroy need to be dispersed with National Guard, via rubber bullets, bats, and chemicals, with ringleaders sentenced to jail. Protesters, in-contrast, need to be protected. Big difference, gang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2015, 06:42 PM
 
Location: H-Tine, Texas
6,742 posts, read 3,899,673 times
Reputation: 8522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki6 View Post
Your words...not mine.



Yep, the darn things we read on C-D.
"Play" dumb if you must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2015, 07:23 PM
 
Location: California
124 posts, read 101,194 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
"Play" dumb if you must.
No need...never said what you claimed. Present proof or you can "play" dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top