Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 12:05 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Still did not see any "Back peddling" on the knife. It still is a "legal" knife, according to the article. Also, technically, the article is right. They did tackle, handcuff, and arrest him before they knew he had a knife of any kind, and that's illegal, but they could try getting around that by saying they searched him for their own safety to see if he was a danger. A Jury could buy that. If the knife is leagal, they have no defense for an illegal arrest.
You're back-peddling and don't know it.

You and most people who argued that the arrest was illegal used the supposed legality of the knife to support your belief. That meant Mosby had to prove in court that the knife was legal. With this switcheroo on when the 'arrest' happened, the knife's legality doesn't matter.

Slick move by Mosby. If she realizes Gray wasn't arrested before cops found the knife, she can always go back to arguing the knife caused the false arrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 01:39 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
If you read the posting on another thread, about the knife, there was a link to the copy of the filing for disclosure by the Cops attorney. He said and maintained the knife was illegal in the "STATE" of Maryland, so he is not contesting it on "Baltimore's" Ordinances.

And that's a good question. Did they arrest him before or after. Does not really make a difference either way, since they where charged for Illegal Arrest. This charge is the least of their worries, and you can defend their actions till the cows come home, but the fact remains that these people screwed up "Big Time" by being lazy, not following what they where taught to do and required to do, not caring about human life, just plain incompetence. A life was lost, and they are directly responsible for this, and it brings consequences. They aren't going to get sent home free. Period...
I am not in complete defense for the cops, at least not all of them. I believe that some of those cops should not have been charged for anything, since some of them were only around him for several seconds/minutes. I also believe that the other cops, who were directly responsible for him, should be charged, but not overcharged to such a high degree like they had been. I also believe that Mosby should be charged for perjury and ethics.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:40 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

You and most people who argued that the arrest was illegal used the supposed legality of the knife to support your belief. That meant Mosby had to prove in court that the knife was legal. With this switcheroo on when the 'arrest' happened, the knife's legality doesn't matter.

Slick move by Mosby. If she realizes Gray wasn't arrested before cops found the knife, she can always go back to arguing the knife caused the false arrest.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:04 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:

You can do all the "Apologizing" and protesting all you want, but the fact is they will be going to Court on the same charges, and you have a better chance of being struck by a meteor than having them set free. I gave you a couple of scenarios that could happen, but either way, they still will be in Court, and there will be Jail time. They killed a man, period. The Law does not consider the mans worth or his place in society.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I am not in complete defense for the cops, at least not all of them. I believe that some of those cops should not have been charged for anything, since some of them were only around him for several seconds/minutes. I also believe that the other cops, who were directly responsible for him, should be charged, but not overcharged to such a high degree like they had been. I also believe that Mosby should be charged for perjury and ethics.
That does not fly. If a man robs a Bank, the getaway driver never even goes into the bank, but is as guilty because he did not do anything to stop it. Either one of them could have called for Medical Assistance at any time and at any of the stops where they handled him and where asked to call a Medic. These are Cops, not some jerks of the street who don't know squat. They are supposed to know what to do and when to do it. Being Lazy and/or uncaring because the victim may be of lower social status does not give them a pass on procedures.

Their charges are fair and deserved, and chances are they will be sticking. A man died. That's pretty final and there is no way to fix it.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
You can do all the "Apologizing" and protesting all you want, but the fact is they will be going to Court on the same charges, and you have a better chance of being struck by a meteor than having them set free. I gave you a couple of scenarios that could happen, but either way, they still will be in Court, and there will be Jail time. They killed a man, period. The Law does not consider the mans worth or his place in society.

I didn't know I was apologizing or protesting about anything. Isn't it a little soon to be dividing people into sides. I don't have an opinion on whether or not the knife was legal or which Crimes the cops committed, if any. However, ...

I do know back-pedaling when I see it

Old 05-23-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I didn't know I was apologizing or protesting about anything. Isn't it a little soon to be dividing people into sides. I don't have an opinion on whether or not the knife was legal or which Crimes the cops committed, if any. However, ...

I do know back-pedaling when I see it
Great observation for someone with no opinion, as you claim. Call it what you want if it makes you feel better. It won't help.

I do have an opinion, and any life is important enough to think about. You claim you don't have one, but its obvious you do have an opinion. The Cops did not commit any crimes, and the Victim is at fault for being killed. That's OK, you are not alone. Hopefully, the Jury will think otherwise, and Justice will be done. No one is above the Law, not even Police.

I also believe the knife was not a switchblade, since I have never seen one that "clips" to a pocket.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Great observation for someone with no opinion, as you claim. Call it what you want if it makes you feel better. It won't help.

I do have an opinion, and any life is important enough to think about. You claim you don't have one, but its obvious you do have an opinion. The Cops did not commit any crimes, and the Victim is at fault for being killed. That's OK, you are not alone. Hopefully, the Jury will think otherwise, and Justice will be done. No one is above the Law, not even Police.

I also believe the knife was not a switchblade, since I have never seen one that "clips" to a pocket.
The cops are at fault, but I don't have an opinion yet on whether they committed a Crime. There's a difference between fault and Crime, though that is both too subtle for you to grasp or care about.

A big 'so what' to you never seeing a switchblade that clips to a pocket. Some are made so that many types of clips can attach to the knife and the pocket or for specific switchblades.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:33 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
Quote:
Seems charges where not "tossed out" and looks as one was reduced. Kind of takes care of a lot of theories that this would happen. Looks like the knife was not a switchblade either, since the charges of "False Arrest" stayed.

Still has to go to Court, but not a good start for the ones being charged to have the Grand Jury Indict on that many charges to start with.
You are a little premature, the charges will be tossed out or reduced, it hasn't yet reached the trial stage..
Let the system work and you will see, the good guys will win, the bad guy will still be dead, and that's a good thing...

Old 05-24-2015, 04:11 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm stumped here and so asking this; "Why is it there's so much vitriol and violence over cops and blacks but nary a word to be heard nor a brick thrown over the many,many people of all color who've been injured and killed in "SWAT" style raids, some over nothing and some at the wrong place or on the wrong people? Why are there no riots or serious public outrage over a baby being severely burned from a flash grenade or a kid being shot for sleeping on a couch or a husband/military vet coming downstairs because he thought a home invasion was happening only to be shot dead?

This in my opinion is way more heinous and detrimental to the public as a whole (not just one race) than an accidental, while tragic death of one black person in Baltimore.

Hypocritical and disingenuousness or just an agenda?
Y'all tell me...
You wil have to ask the media. My guess is that general police misconduct doesn't sell as well as racial animus. Those stories would illicit some outrage but would be quickly swept under the rug as unfortunate accidents. If you bring race into the picture all of the networks win. More liberal networks can be outraged. Conservative networks can be outraged by the outrage, and more centrist networks can work both sides of the issue. When people get outraged they pay more attention to the news which means more eyeballs for marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events