Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 11:10 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
I say they need to pass a Law that allows National Guard, or Army, to shoot looters caught in the act, without warning. Problem would be solved, Nation wide, after the first encounter, and no repeat offenders.
And for anyone destroying Vehicles, setting Fires, or engaged in major destruction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 11:13 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
There are two types of looters: 1) the ones that take things they need to survive, like food/water, and 2) the ones that steal TVs, stereo systems, etc. In both cases, they are both poor.

It's not about black, white, brown, blue, it's about the poor.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:24 PM

163 posts, read 125,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Poor police were used once again as sacrificial lambs by the politicians.
So are you saying that the police were told to stand down by the politicians? I didn't think anyone could order them around like that. Perhaps the politicians and police met and decided to do nothing?

Old 05-02-2015, 11:48 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,518,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Let’s not worry about where the thread belongs. What does it matter? I saw it here and I am going to reply. Now, here is my suggestion. When looting begins, the police should withdraw (which is what they are doing anyway) and give the protestor the space to destroy. Once they are done, the City Hall should pay for all damages and lost wages.
city hall? like the tax payers? speaking of tax payers. when police cause cities, and therefore tax payers, to lose money from a giant lawsuit for something they did, I'd like to see the police unions pay the lawsuits, rather than the tax payers. maybe there should be something like malpractice insurance for cops

Old 05-03-2015, 05:18 AM

54 posts, read 65,223 times
These rioters should have been dealt with and not allowed to destroy property and businesses. But police were told to stand down. Now the city has no tourism left. Looks like they screwed themselves by letting the animals run free. Baltimore will sink. Congratulations, mayor.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:52 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
It's not "looting". It's African-American Customer Appreciation Day.

Haha, I love it ! "Buy one, get 20 free, and you don't even have to worry about paying for the first one !"

You and I must have missed the newspaper ad about that big sale !

Don

Old 05-03-2015, 06:03 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
I say they need to pass a Law that allows National Guard, or Army, to shoot looters caught in the act, without warning. Problem would be solved, Nation wide, after the first encounter, and no repeat offenders.
Wow.. I'm really surprised you proposed this with the tonality of your other muses

We already have such a law... its called martial law... and the military is rightfully very hesitant to get drawn into such a mission
Martial law potentially means constitutional rights can be suspended... that means due process ... that my friend is the road to totalitarianism... and ultimately the end of the united states as we know it...
Worry not.. there are people who believe our military is practicing within our borders right now for martial law... targeting several keys states... as a Leo this scares me to all get out... right now you are contacted by an officer.. maybe several in radio cars instead of tanks ... China.. vs US... we know how that worked out in their country against peaceful demonstrators

Thanks

Old 05-03-2015, 10:34 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Warning: Don't buy a car that has ever been in Oakland

Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf says 'cowardly people' vandalized city during protest | abc7news.com

I am not so much concerned abouot martial law but what we will do when good men and women decide not to go into law enforcement. Today, I can't understand why many of them don't find safer employment as obama and his crew seem to be on the side of violence.

In life we often don't get what we want but it is beyond me why anyone thinks that riots will look good on a resume. Just calling riots - demonstations, doesn't change the bottom line. Violence is violence and in America it should not be accepted as an everyday way of life. That is what concerns me more than martial law.

Rewarding bad behavior in children, or adults, simply does not work. People need to be responsible and stop blaming others for their behavior, the government needs to stop coddling the violence.

Last edited by Heidi60; 05-03-2015 at 11:02 AM..

Old 05-03-2015, 10:39 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
There are two types of looters: 1) the ones that take things they need to survive, like food/water, and 2) the ones that steal TVs, stereo systems, etc. In both cases, they are both poor.

I'm thinking that things such as stealing 132 bottles of vodka, wouldn't fit the definition of a survival ration.

As far as being hungry, all those looters seemed to be especially well fed.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:25 AM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post

There are plenty of extremely poor people who do not steal. There is zero excuse for looting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events