U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 06:54 PM

6,005 posts, read 13,175,853 times

Advertisements

$1 million bond for St. Louis man charged in SIU student's death - Chicago Tribune

I remember using CL WAY back in the day when it was still only a few major cities. Back then, nearly everything was legit and it was a great place to find housing and legit job ads. Now it's a mess where 90%+ of housing and job ads are scams or spam, 99%+ of the ads in pets are from backyard breeders selling defective animals or pit bull puppies, and 99% of the ads in the for sale section are from stores clogging the site of thieves trying to offload goods. Despite this, I still use it b/c it has a massive audience and it accomplishes the goal. Of course, I take all the needed precautions, including the buddy system, public meting places, fake names, even Google Voice numbers for more long term ads like those where I'm seeking roommates. Thankfully, other than a bunch of no show's and annoying hagglers, I've had zero issues w/ the site, safety wise.

Stories like what happened to this young man, the elderly couple trying to buy a car, and the woman whose baby was cut out of her after she answered a baby clothes ad need to be prominently shown and remembered so that people who still choose to use CL take the needed precautions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 07:02 PM

552 posts, read 931,805 times
Whyy was he killed? I mean they left the car and they had the money.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:21 PM

51,669 posts, read 12,645,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
The Salvation Army picks up large donated items from homes for free. Occasionally see their trucks driving around.
So does the Viet Nam Vets of America.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:33 PM

11,759 posts, read 5,205,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Poor guy

On a different note, WTF is a 350zx? Come on, news reporters, you can do better than that...
Now, don't get technical on us now, Mr. Nissan. 300ZX is still one of my all-time fav's.

Mick

Old 05-07-2015, 10:38 PM

148 posts, read 116,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I've bought quite a bit on Craigslist and have gone to the seller's home to purchase them. I also have given away things on Freecycle, with people coming to my home to get them. Never had a problem. In fact, I'm getting ready to list some items on Craigslist this weekend.

Bad things happen, but they can happen anywhere at anytime. The volume of sales/purchases that go without any problems far outweigh the few incidents that have happened and certainly don't warrant Craigslist being removed from the internet.
Seriously. Hell, I found the last 3 places I've lived in on Craigslist, and all of them went off without a hitch. The fact that my scrawny ass hasn't been murdered yet is a testament to that. It's a damn website...the normal people to sociopaths ratio is probably on par with the rest of the American public.

I feel like the people in this thread that are either calling for the site's dismantling whilst clutching their pearls or literally running in with guns blazing haven't actually used the website that much. This is a tragic story to be sure, and with any website you gotta make sure you find any red flags that come up, but c'mon, there's a difference between precautionary and irrationally terrified.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:25 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,077,592 times
I gained a stalker when I sold my last car on Craigslist (I also did successfully sell the car to someone else). He made an appointment, my husband and I waited home all day on a beautiful Sunday, and he never showed. However, to this day I get weird emails from him, and he made a fake Twitter account using my name with a picture of a bikini model. I reported it to Twitter, not sure if they ever took it down. I Googled his name one time - troubled young man, by the sound of it. He'll stop, and then every six months or so I'll get a flurry of emails. This has been going on for 6 years. Never even met 'im.

To be sure, I've also successfully used Craigslist a few times. It definitely has its merits. You just have to watch out for a few weirdos.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:59 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,437,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
always meet in a public place. i prefer the police station.
That's a good idea but wouldn't the police accuse you of loitering?

Old 05-08-2015, 06:14 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,077,592 times
(I can't edit my above post from last night so) - I should have used the word "stalker" in quotes; obviously emails from someone you've never met aren't comparable to actual scary cases of stalking, and my apologies if it sounded like I don't know the difference. (And I can't just block his email because he'll change some slight element of his user name and email me from a new account. As long as it stays at that level it's just pathetic more than bothersome).

Old 05-08-2015, 06:20 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,902,509 times
My wife's co-worker was shot 5 times. He showed up to look at a car that was on Craig's list. Shot him, while shielding his wife and baby. Took his cash. He's survived, but doubt he'll ever be OK. Who would.

I've heard that some police stations have actually setup a Craig's List area in their parking lots. Excellent idea.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:29 AM

2,380 posts, read 1,215,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
Whyy was he killed? I mean they left the car and they had the money.
I was thinking the same thing? It looks like the killer was just unstable and was looking to kill without motive. RIP to the victim. It brings back mememories of that case a few months ago where that elderly couple found their dream car on CL and they drove across country to buy it, and they were killed.

It's really sad that we have to go to great lengths to protect ourselves just to buy/sell something, but that's the way things are. I agree, always meet in a public place. I used CL once to try and sell something and got some weird emails from people asking for my address. Then I finally got someone to agree to meet at a large shopping center in front of the store. Of course that person never ended up showing up, which makes me wonder what would have happened if I met that person somewhere else

I heard a story a couple years ago about someone who met a buyer in a public place, and apparently the buyer followed the person home. The stalker then knew the person's license plate number and where the person lived and was repeatedly stalking the person. I guess that's something else to worry about even when selling in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or