Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 06:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,994 times

Advertisements

I don't do craigs list any more. But when I did I used to meet in the lobby of office buildings open to public by guards desk. Usually banks. Why they are on camera and guards are armed. Usually scammers back out of such a meeting place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 06:37 AM

My favorite Craigs list story of all time was in Freeport, Long Island.

The Porsche dealership is closed on Sunday but lot is open. A guy advertised a used porsche at a great price being sold at the dealership. Must be cash as dealership need money.

So couple shows up sure enough he had keys to Porsche they do paperwork, he puts temp plates on and they pay cash and off they drive.

When they contact dealership to follow up on real plates they had no clue. Guy stole a porsche from a valet parking lot, sold it at Porsche dealer and couple got fooled.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:04 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
What did this murderer even get from this death? Is he just out to kill for the sake of it? Doesn't seem like he stole the car/money.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:10 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
My favorite Craigs list story of all time was in Freeport, Long Island.

The Porsche dealership is closed on Sunday but lot is open. A guy advertised a used porsche at a great price being sold at the dealership. Must be cash as dealership need money.

So couple shows up sure enough he had keys to Porsche they do paperwork, he puts temp plates on and they pay cash and off they drive.

When they contact dealership to follow up on real plates they had no clue. Guy stole a porsche from a valet parking lot, sold it at Porsche dealer and couple got fooled.
There's a variation of that on CL now.

Be careful if you're looking to rent a place. Scammers copy CL for-rent ads (or the ones on Zillow), lower the asking rent dramatically and advertise it as if it's their place. When you respond to the ad, they say they're out of town. But if you send them $xxx for the first month's rent, they'll send you a key.

And sometimes they will. It just won't fit the lock on the house you thought you were renting.

True story: A woman fell for this scam, got to the vacant house, couldn't get in using the key, so she called a locksmith. The locksmith made a key for her. She went inside, found the "Welcome new renter!" information left for the person who actually had rented the house, and called the landlord's number to complain about having to have a key made. The real renter arrived, with the landlord on her heels. Then the police were called to break it up.

If it seems like an incredibly good deal on a rental, it's most likely someone running this scam.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:12 AM

Darwins Law in motion

Old 05-08-2015, 07:35 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,506 times
I bought a car, rented a house, found quite a few jobs, sold numerous things, bought furniture AND agreed to go on 3 dates from Craigslist in the past 7 years.

I'm still alive?....... Is that luck?

Old 05-08-2015, 08:14 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
always meet in a public place. i prefer the police station.
And always carry a loaded hand gun...

Old 05-08-2015, 08:43 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,684 times
Love that quote about CL being an electronic bathroom wall. So true...

Old 05-08-2015, 10:36 AM

828 posts, read 907,524 times
This makes me both very sad and angry.

He killed a total stranger for absolutely no reason. :'''(

Old 05-08-2015, 10:50 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I bought a bike on craigslist about 9 years ago. I actually went up to this guy's house in Cave Creek or North Phoenix. Anyways I don't think I will do it again. I do like the idea about meeting at the police station, but will they be able to see you?
Can't boink an NSA hookup at the police station though.

Craigslist used to be awesome for that but the bottom fell out. It happened when they started anonymizing the email address on both sides of the conversation making it harder for people to research each other before hooking up.

I sell concert tickets through Craigslist, I usually just have the buyer pick it up at work. The downside is the flagging system. In some cities I can't sell concert tickets at all. They might get flagged because I am selling over face (admittedly against the rules) but if I am selling at face or even below face they get flagged because I am competing with someone else's tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events