U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:58 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,754,650 times

Advertisements

Yet another example of why we need tort reform. It should be a requirement that anyone bringing a lawsuit post some kind of bond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 03:09 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,267,091 times
More loving quotes from bible

[RIGHT]Leviticus 20:9[/RIGHT]
If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death. 20:10 If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death. 20:13 If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death. Deuteronomy 22:20-1 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. [RIGHT]Exodus 35:2[/RIGHT]
For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death.
Deuteronomy 7:1-2 When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy. 20:10-17 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. . . . This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby.
However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Completely destroy them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:23 PM

3,680 posts, read 3,268,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
isn't that the basis of most religion?

"Think like me otherwise I hate you?"

So glad I'm an atheist. Life is so stress free not worrying about petty things

Isn't the basis of atheism that you get to hate people who don't think like you?

Old 05-07-2015, 03:38 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,381,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Well, technically, the lawsuit was filed by God and Jesus Christ, the woman being only an ambassador
Woman sues all the gay people all around the world
2 photosVIEW ALL

This past Tuesday, a woman in Nebraska, US, presented the District Court of Omaha with a 7-page handwritten petition asking that a judge strike their mighty hammer and rule once and for all whether or not being gay is a sin.
That's right, this woman, identified as 66-year-old Sylvia Ann Driskell of Auburn, filed a lawsuit against all the gay people everywhere on Earth.
Before you make any comments on this petition of hers, you should know that, technically, it wasn't Sylvia Ann Driskell who filed suit. Au contraire, the plaintiffs are God and Jesus Christ. The 66-year-old is only their ambassador.
Thus, the woman makes sure to point out that she wrote and filed the petition acting as “ambassador for plaintiffs God and His Son, Jesus Christ.”

Enough said...
Poor Sylvia, imagine going through life this CONFUSED.

Also, she first has to prove the existence of the plaintiffs...which cannot be done....so I expect this to be thrown to the curb, yesterday.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:40 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,222,178 times
It's really noteworthy and striking to me how many Christians (not only Christians but mostly Christians of certain particular stripes) are so seemingly eternally preoccupied and obsessed with non-heterosexuality in whatever form it takes. Look, I'd been a conservative evangelical Protestant Christian myself for a stretch of my life and, even as a believer and one who even contemplated going to seminary, it struck me how utterly obsessed too many of my fellow Christians were . . . constantly or near-constantly railing and fuming over those in the human population of our planet who are something other than pure heterosexuals. And note that I myself am a 100% heterosexual and am not otherwise trying to advance a so-called "gay agenda" (whatever that means).

I mean, let's say that, even when I was a Christian adherent and believer, I accepted that the Bible and the faith embraces the viewpoint that being gay/lesbian/bisexual et al is a sin in the eyes of God. Well, it is one of many thousands (or more than thousands) of types of "sin". Why constantly harp on this like it is above-and-beyond any other sin that one can engage in or perpetuate? Why don't they spend as much time (or even MORE time) on the myriad other serious sins of humanity?: e.g., committing violent or aggressive criminal acts, racial and/or ethnic hatred, bullying, being a thief or burglar, betraying one's marriage commitments with adultery/cheating, inappropriate temperament and demeanor, abusing the temple which is your body with drugs/alcohol/tobacco, lying and dishonesty, greed/avarice (letting money and material wealth be one's god and primary motivator in life), being dishonorable and untrustworthy, not having a solid work ethic in life, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. . . . ad infinitum. I could take up multiple pages or even the entire website trying to conceive of every type of sin that humanity can be guilty of.

If each of those individuals who so preoccupy themselves with those who are not heterosexuals would preoccupy themselves with THEIR OWN myriad collection of sins (past or present sins or patterns of sin for which they haven't corrected and/or made proper amends for . . . both sins of commission and sins of omission), they'd have their own hands full for the rest of their natural lives. And so would I. Would each of you like me to peruse each of your own personal life histories and your present life with a fine-toothed comb and come up with all the "sins" that you are guilty of or have been guilty of? It is just too too easy for those of you who do this to gloss over your own sin nature or history and constantly harp on the "gays", like they are the ultimate manifestation of sin in the eyes of God and that this is THE issue that just wholly consumes God above-and-beyond all other issues (if there even is such an entity and, even if there is, one who makes this a contentiious and grievous issue in his own mind).

We all have our sins past and present and yet, unless we are truly perpetuating measurable harm upon others or upon society-at-large with what can be reasonably deemed to be "sins", our individual sins are between us as individuals and God (if there even is such an entity). I don't imagine any of you want me to micromanage your own individual lives and constantly beat you down with all the real or perceived sins I notice in your own individual lives. You would be consternate and angry at me if I did so. Well then, why do those of you who I am addressing this posting to feel it is your own prerogative to micromanage other peoples' lives (such as on this matter of sexual identity) when you can't really point to how what they do causes measurable harm to you or others you know or does measurable harm to society-at-large? Even if not being pure heterosexuals is perceived by us as one of the possible "sins" of humanity in the eyes of God, it is their struggle or their cross to bear in their individual lives (not ours). You and I can both have our own hands and lives full just trying to manage and cope with our own "sins" real or perceived . . . and likely at least some sins as grievous or even more grievous than a man or woman feeling that, at the core of their being, they were meant to be same-sex-oriented or even bisexual or that they feel that they are one gender in their brain but trapped within the body of the opposite gender. It is their cross-to-bear, not yours.

Last edited by UsAll; 05-07-2015 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 03:57 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,481,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
More loving quotes from bible

[RIGHT]Leviticus 20:9[/RIGHT]
If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death. 20:10 If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death. 20:13 If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death. Deuteronomy 22:20-1 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. [RIGHT]Exodus 35:2[/RIGHT]
For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death.
Deuteronomy 7:1-2 When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy. 20:10-17 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. . . . This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby.
However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Completely destroy them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you.
I think these were meant as, more or less, possible options/suggestions rather than hard & fast rules...just like now, talking about them behind their back was generally the way to go.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:59 PM

4,250 posts, read 3,325,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
A judge or court dosen't have to rule that homosexuality is a sin. The Bible is clear, it is.
And....that's only relevant to those who care about the Bible, right?

I think this sad woman needs to see someone about the voices she hears in her head...

Old 05-07-2015, 04:04 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,316,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
It's really noteworthy and striking to me how many Christians (not only Christians but mostly Christians of certain particular stripes) are so seemingly eternally preoccupied and obsessed with non-heterosexuality in whatever form it takes. Look, I'd been a conservative evangelical Protestant Christian myself for a stretch of my life and, even as a believer and one who even contemplated going to seminary, it struck me how utterly obsessed too many of my fellow Christians were . . . constantly or near-constantly railing and fuming over those in the human population of our planet who are something other than pure heterosexuals. And note that I myself am a 100% heterosexual and am not ottherwise trying to advance a so-called "gay agenda" (whatever that means).

I mean, let's say that, even when I was a Christian adherent and believer, I accepted that the Bible and the faith embraces the viewpoint that being gay/lesbian/bisexual et al is a sin in the eyes of God. Well, it is one of many thousands (or more than thousands) of types of "sin". Why constantly harp on this like it is above-and-beyond any other sin that one can engage in or perpetuate? Why don't they spend as much time (or even MORE time) on the myriad other serious sins of humanity?: e.g., committing violent or aggressive criminal acts, racial and/or ethnic hatred, bullying, being a thief or burglar, betraying one's marriage commitments with adultery/cheating, inappropriate temperament and demeanor, abusing the temple which is your body with drugs/alcohol/tobacco, lying and dishonesty, greed/avarice (letting money and material wealth be one's god and primary motivator in life), being dishonorable and untrustworthy, not having a solid work ethic in life, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. . . . ad infinitum. I could take up multiple pages or even the entire website trying to conceive of every type of sin that humanity can be guilty of.

If each of those individuals who so preoccupy themselves with those who are not heterosexuals would preoccupy themselves with THEIR OWN myriad collection of sins (past or present sins of patterns of sin for which they haven't corrected and/or made proper amends for . . . both sins of commission and sins of omission), they'd have their own hands full for the rest of their natural lives. And so would I. Would each of you like me to peruse each of your own personal life histories and your present life with a fine-toothed comb and come up with all the "sins" that you are guilty of or have been guilty of? It is just too too easy for those of you who do this to gloss over your own sin nature or history and constantly harp on the "gays", like they are the ultimate manifestation of sin in the eyes of God and that this is THE issue that just wholly consumes God above-and-beyond all other issues (if there even is such an entity and, even if there is, one who makes this a contentiious and grievous issue in his own mind).

We all have our sins past and present and yet, unless we are truly perpetuating measurable harm upon others or upon society-at-large with what can be reasonably deemed to be "sins", our indiividual sins are between us as individuals and God (if there even is such an entity). I don't imagine any of you want me to micromanage your own individual lives and constantly beat you down with all the real or perceived sins I notice in your own individual lives. You would be consternate and angry at me if I did so. Well then, why do you those of you who I am addressing this posting to feel it is your own prerogative to micromanage other peoples' lives (such as on this matter of sexual identity) when you can't really point to how what they do causes measurable harm to you or others you know or does measurable harm to society-at-large? Even if not being pure heterosexuals is perceived by us as one of the possible "sins" of humanity in the eyes of God, it is their struggle or their cross to bear in their individual lives (not ours). You and I can both have our own hands and lives full just trying to manage and cope with our own "sins" real or perceived . . . and likely at least some sins as grievous or even more grievous than a man or woman feeling that, at the core of their being, they were meant to be same-sex-oriented or even bisexual or that they feel that they are one gender in their brain but trapped within the body of the opposite gender. It is their cross-to-bear, not yours.
USA if everyone practiced what you wrote then there would be world peace. But makes too much sense so it can never work!! People like this lady stir up the pot not because they are doing "God's work." They do it because that's the type of human being they are. The type that likes to dominate, oppress and force people to live life according to their view of what's right. God is just the excuse they use.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Status: "A delicate snowflake with the vote of a wolverine." (set 1 day ago)

13,255 posts, read 7,447,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
It's really noteworthy and striking to me how many Christians (not only Christians but mostly Christians of certain particular stripes) are so seemingly eternally preoccupied and obsessed with non-heterosexuality in whatever form it takes. Look, I'd been a conservative evangelical Protestant Christian myself for a stretch of my life and, even as a believer and one who even contemplated going to seminary, it struck me how utterly obsessed too many of my fellow Christians were . . . constantly or near-constantly railing and fuming over those in the human population of our planet who are something other than pure heterosexuals. And note that I myself am a 100% heterosexual and am not ottherwise trying to advance a so-called "gay agenda" (whatever that means).

If each of those individuals who so preoccupy themselves with those who are not heterosexuals would preoccupy themselves with THEIR OWN myriad collection of sins (past or present sins of patterns of sin for which they haven't corrected and/or made proper amends for . . . both sins of commission and sins of omission), they'd have their own hands full for the rest of their natural lives. And so would I. Would each of you like me to peruse each of your own personal life histories and your present life with a fine-toothed comb and come up with all the "sins" that you are guilty of or have been guilty of? It is just too too easy for those of you who do this to gloss over your own sin nature or history and constantly harp on the "gays", like they are the ultimate manifestation of sin in the eyes of God and that this is THE issue that just wholly consumes God above-and-beyond all other issues (if there even is such an entity and, even if there is, one who makes this a contentiious and grievous issue in his own mind).

We all have our sins past and present and yet, unless we are truly perpetuating measurable harm upon others or upon society-at-large with what can be reasonably deemed to be "sins", our indiividual sins are between us as individuals and God (if there even is such an entity). I don't imagine any of you want me to micromanage your own individual lives and constantly beat you down with all the real or perceived sins I notice in your own individual lives. You would be consternate and angry at me if I did so. Well then, why do you those of you who I am addressing this posting to feel it is your own prerogative to micromanage other peoples' lives (such as on this matter of sexual identity) when you can't really point to how what they do causes measurable harm to you or others you know or does measurable harm to society-at-large? Even if not being pure heterosexuals is perceived by us as one of the possible "sins" of humanity in the eyes of God, it is their struggle or their cross to bear in their individual lives (not ours). You and I can both have our own hands and lives full just trying to manage and cope with our own "sins" real or perceived . . . and likely at least some sins as grievous or even more grievous than a man or woman feeling that, at the core of their being, they were meant to be same-sex-oriented or even bisexual or that they feel that they are one gender in their brain but trapped within the body of the opposite gender. It is their cross-to-bear, not yours.
I couldn't agree more. I also must add that I as a gay woman, along with my fiancee, have a routine that goes like this:
Wake up. Drink coffee. Eat breakfast. Go to work. Come home. Eat dinner. Play with the dogs and feed them dinner. Watch TV. Go to bed. Lather, rinse, repeat until the weekend, when we:
Wake up. Drink coffee. Eat breakfast. Mow the lawn. Take a shower. Go shopping, then maybe go out to lunch. Come home. Do laundry. Wash dishes, and various other sundry household tasks we've been putting off. Pay bills. Call family and catch up. Play on the computer. Eat dinner. Hang out on the porch with a drink. Go to bed.
We are not fascinating at all. We have the same boring lives as everybody else. So I think it's extremely funny that some conservative "religious" fundamentalists find us so fascinating, because even I don't find us fascinating. Zzzzzz.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:40 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,535,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
She seems disturbed.
She should get together with the nut in California who's trying to get on the ballot a law to have all gay people in California shot in the head. They'd make a great couple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events