Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 06:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

All I can say is that Karma is a real ***** and she has a standing appointment with whoever left that note on that car.

I am not familiar with British laws regarding handicapped placards/license plates/etc but here in the US, there must be some sort of official sticker or placard or license plate on the vehicle in order to park in a handicapped parking space legally, from what I understand.

Until I had surgery on my Achilles tendons (yes, both - major drama), I didn't have nearly the empathy with the disabled that I have now - that was one positive thing that came out of my experience. I am fully recovered now but the recovery from such an injury and surgery is very long - up to a year. For many of those months, I was out of a cast and boot and off crutches, but my mobility was still severely impeded. In other words, I didn't LOOK disabled other than a limp. And to be honest, once I was off the crutches, I didn't usually park in a handicapped space - but I would on occasion depending on circumstances.

But when I did, I was always self conscious - not because of the disability but because I knew that there was always the possibility that some jerk somewhere might be looking at me and muttering, "Disability my arse. There's nothing wrong with her. FAKER!"

That being said, I also came to realize just how irritating and often very impeding it is when people who are not handicapped park in those spaces and now the spaces are not available for someone who really does need them. You talk about an urge to strangle. I had to fight the urge to sit in my car and just wait for someone to come out so I could call them out on it. I remember one situation in particular. Not only was it a big parking lot, it was raining, and as anyone on crutches knows, it takes a lot longer to get from Point A to Point B on crutches. The handicapped spaces (2) in front of the store were taken up by ONE car, with no evidence on it that the driver or passenger was disabled. And sure enough, after about fifteen minutes some apparently healthy woman came be bopping out of the store and jumped into her car. I had to nearly restrain my husband from jumping out and confronting her or calling the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 06:57 AM

622 posts, read 526,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I sympathize with her conditions, BUT, a few things are a bit off for me (such as no blue sticker/placard, though it's not required on private property)

Note on parked car: 'Fat and ugly doesn't count as disabled' - UPI.com
Sounds like someone with a personal grudge against her. After all, how did the individual who placed the note know what she looked like?

Old 05-09-2015, 06:58 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,222 times
I think its always good idea to post sticker so there are no questions. Seems like its getting overly worked up, really so what? She should of torn the paper up, thrown it away and continue her day.

my mom has fibromyalgia and deals with quite a bit of pain from it. She doesnt have a handicap sticker or on disability. She just retired this year from work. i know it can be a tough condition to have depending how severe it is.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:00 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
Sounds like someone with a personal grudge against her. After all, how did the individual who placed the note know what she looked like?
They could of just seen her get out of car and go in.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:07 AM

14,772 posts, read 8,103,690 times
She should have just tore up the note, and forgot about it....everyone gets so bent out of shape about everything any more...but that being said...it's really uncool for people to pick on truly handicapped people.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:42 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,512 times
It's funny, but the few people I know with mobility problems don't have handicap stickers.
It's only the ones who manage to get their doctor to approve a 'temporary' condition (like a broken ankle) that renew the privilege ad nauseum.. and share it with their whole family that seem to abuse the system.

And don't even get me started on those bs 'service dogs' that fit in your pocket.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:47 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Frankly, I'm sick of perfect strangers playing "handicapped parking police." There's no way for anyone to look at a person and know whether or not they have reason to use a handicapped spot. If they have a valid placard, that should be sufficient.

Many, many moons ago, I drove my elderly grandmother to a hair appointment. We took her car because she got around with a walker and had permanent handicapped parking plates. Knowing it would take a while to wash/cut/set/sit under the dryer/tease/spray into helmet form, I decided to run some errands. Upon returning to the shopping center to pick her up, I parked in a handicapped spot (I was, afterall, picking up an elderly woman with a walker). As I was walking in, a couple of ladies walked by, and one of them said something akin to "handicapped, my a$$." Now, if this had happened to 40-something me, I probably would have gotten into some sort of verbal battle with her, but the early 20-something me was mortified (it was embarrassing enough to be 20 and driving a huge granny car and parking handicapped! LOL)

I also think of my college roommate ... formerly a very trim, active woman. She was diagnosed a couple years ago with a degenerative disease that causes a great deal of pain through her back and hips. She'll start out the day moving rather well, minimal limping, and by the end of the day she can barely move. The steroids and other medications she had to go on caused her weight to balloon. More than a few times, she's had people comment on how being fat isn't enough reason to use handicapped parking. She doesn't use handicapped parking because of her weight, she uses it because she's in pain.

People need to mind their own d*mn business.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:58 AM

304 posts, read 324,866 times
To me a person who is handicap is someone that has a physical limitation, i.e. they are bound to a wheelchair because they are unable to use their leg(s). Either way if I see an elderly person parking in a handicap spot, who is still capable of walking, it doesn't bother me. I get more angry with the people who take up two or three spots because they don't want their vehicle getting dinged.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
I don't see the problem. Giving the woman the benefit of the doubt that she has a legitimate, legal disability (I don't know the rules in the UK), she should have torn the note up and moved on with her life.

The note writer is a jerk, but why is this woman being a baby about this? People are jerks. Get over it. Does everything that happens to someone have to end up on social media?

Old 05-09-2015, 09:05 AM

1,077 posts, read 871,830 times
God don't like ugly, this person will get Karma handed to them hot on a plate.

There are other disabilities one can't notice, like CHF, COPD.

I too think people are overly bothered by the little things in life or maybe just jealous.

They need to get a life and not worry about what the other person is doing, as long as there is no harm to anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events