U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 06:41 AM

1,077 posts, read 649,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I only started hearing about fibromyalgia in the last 20 years or so. I've met some people who have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and the way I understand it, people who have it feel a more intense sense of pain than people who don't have fibromyalgia. I think some people have a higher toleration of pain than other people, even though the pain is equally intense for each person. I think that fibromyalgia is something that doctors came up with so they can give a diagnosis for people who have a low tolerance for pain, and then they can prescribe them some medication just to keep them out of their office.

Quote:
Quote:

Understanding Fibromyalgia
& Symptoms

What is fibromyalgia?

Fibromyalgia is thought to be the result of overactive nerves. It is a
condition that results in chronic widespread pain and tenderness all over.
Here’s exactly what that means:
  • “Chronic” means that the pain lasts a long time—at least 3 months. Many
    people experience fibromyalgia pain for years before being diagnosed
  • “Widespread” means that it is all over the body. However, many people
    with fibromyalgia feel pain in the same places, such as the lower back and
    neck
  • “Tenderness” means that even a small amount of pressure can cause a lot of
    pain

Fibromyalgia is one of the most common chronic pain conditions. It affects
more than 5 million people in the United States. That’s nearly 1 in every 60
Americans. Mostly women have it. But so can men. Most people begin feeling the
symptoms of fibromyalgia when they are middle aged, but symptoms can start
before then.

Fibromyalgia Symptoms | LYRICA® (pregabalin) CV | Safety Info

Not a made up diagnosis, this is real when one suffers from this, one could have good days and bad days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 11:01 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,507,886 times
I'm sure they could track the jerk down with the fingerprints left on the note.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:26 AM

12,071 posts, read 5,599,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If there's a handicapped sticker on the car, other people should mind their own business, maybe?
Not if they're not handicapped. I can't tell you how many times I see people park in handicapped spots that aren't handicapped. One of these days I will go off on them. My mom requires a handicapped spot & every time I see some lazy app POS park in one of those spots, it makes my blood boil.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:31 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,537,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Not if they're not handicapped. I can't tell you how many times I see people park in handicapped spots that aren't handicapped. One of these days I will go off on them. My mom requires a handicapped spot & every time I see some lazy app POS park in one of those spots, it makes my blood boil.
How exactly do you know they aren't handicapped? Many handicaps are not visible. Or perhaps, like my situation I posted earlier, they are providing transportation for someone who is handicapped who is not with the car at the moment that you see it. It's not you're place to "go off" on anyone based on your ASSumptions.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:35 AM

12,071 posts, read 5,599,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
How exactly do you know they aren't handicapped? Many handicaps are not visible. Or perhaps, like my situation I posted earlier, they are providing transportation for someone who is handicapped who is not with the car at the moment that you see it. It's not you're place to "go off" on anyone based on your ASSumptions.
Sure I can, end of story.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:38 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
This is not the first story of this kind. There are all sorts of medical issues that can't be seen by the casual observer. Heart arrhythmia, early stage MS or Parkinsons, orthopedic issues that don't require a cane or walker, but can be problematic with too much walking. Anyone observing someone with a handicap tag or sign should just be glad they don't have a medical condition that can benefit by a shorter walk. Those that leave notes like these on others' vehicles are still operating at the emotional level of a childish brat.
Obvs nobody read the actual article (especially from the York Press itself) which stated that the driver was NOT displaying her disabled badge.

I'd have left a note on her car too. Not one calling her fat & ugly, mind you, but a rather peeved one nonetheless.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Obvs nobody read the actual article (especially from the York Press itself) which stated that the driver was NOT displaying her disabled badge.

I'd have left a note on her car too. Not one calling her fat & ugly, mind you, but a rather peeved one nonetheless.
Did YOU read the actual article? It wasn't required.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Sure I can, end of story.
Not your place. End of story.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:47 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Did YOU read the actual article? It wasn't required.
Yes, I did. However, it's just as douchey to park in a handicapped spot without a proper badge in the UK as it is here.

While we're on the subject, are you aware of those stupid "expectant mother" reserved spots? Personally, I hate them...if a pregnant woman is truly disabled by her pregnancy, she can get a handicapped sticker. But I digress.

There's no law forbidding me to park there. No legal right to tow my car if I do park there. Nothing would actually happen to me (from a civil/legal standpoint) if I chose to park in one of those spots.

However, since I'm not pregnant (and also not a snowflake or an a-hole) I do not use those spots. I also do not want to come out to some pregnant snowflake keying my car or slashing my tires for parking in her special snowflake "I got knocked up" spot.

So I just don't.

This woman HAD a badge. She should have displayed it.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:16 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,144,875 times
Don't get me started on the whole fat people in the motorized carts. I scrapped it out with some fat lady over one when my mother and I went grocery shopping. She was on oxygen with lung cancer and couldn't walk far at all. She needed that cart, the fat lady didn't. Needless to say I won as I won't go into what I said as CD's panties would be in a bunch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or