Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 01:31 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
They tested perfect or near perfect on the SAT.
Stop that, you are destroying the narrative of the affirmative action opponents.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 02:12 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
What do you bet none of them and none of their parents use drugs

What do you bet they and their parents know more about US history than modern meebee culture

One common theme... they were motivated to do good for others in their communities
I found the predominance of Harvard a bit surprising. Probably my closes friend who got into Harvard, Yale and Princeton picked Yale. Albeit that was in 1975.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:48 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
Good for them, we need more people like this.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:53 PM

373 posts, read 482,603 times
Not impressive. Not all ivys are same. Once you get into Harvard, Princeton, and Yale, rests are just backup school.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:04 PM

95 posts, read 214,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
This. Ivy League schools go out of their way to select "diverse" candidates. Not that these kids aren't probably incredibly intelligent but their backgrounds give them a hand up in the admissions process. A more qualified white male from a blue collar/working class background in West Virginia or Kentucky would have a much harder time getting admitted into an Ivy League school, particularly Harvard, than any of these other kids.
No..deftly not

no matter what happens the %age of white kids in Ivywill remain the same - even though the %age of whites as general population reduce. The subjectiveness of the admission process ensures its kept that way..Affirmitive action?the students in the news article? these are breadcrumbs thrown to keep ppl happy

Asian kids need to be more qualified than the whites to get admission..Across the board

Old 05-11-2015, 08:09 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stup123 View Post
Asian kids need to be more qualified than the whites to get admission..Across the board
Ditto Jews. It may not seem that way but Jews are underrepresented in colleges when compared to their grades.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I fully agree with your points about the public schools, I'm a big supporter of them (in general). I think that most of the "blame the schools" crowd are referencing lower quality public schools but even then....most of those complaints are (I agree) a load of BS.

Did it actually state their SAT scores? Because "near perfect" when looking for Ivy admission is a narrow margin. Not that I'd look at someone who scored a 1540 and then turn to someone with a 1500 and go "dummy!"

Also, none of them looked particularily tall and athletic and unless you are a great basketball player....Harvard isn't going to let you in with sub-excellent academics....well, unless your last name is "special" like Bush, Gore, Clinton etc.
I googled the student names.

All also have remarkable resumes in addition to SAT scores.

BTW, all of these schools have legacy preferences. Harvard accepts one- third of all legacy applicants, which generally favor white students over minorities with higher scores/ stronger resumes.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:47 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Harvard accepts one- third of all legacy applicants, which generally favor white students over minorities with higher scores/ stronger resumes.
I would be surprised if non-Asian minorities accepted by Harvard have higher test scores on average than white legacy students. Harvard might be an outlier in that area because it is the number one school and can get the highest scoring NAMs. But generally, legacy students accepted to top schools trail the student body average by only a few tens of points while NAMs trail by hundreds of points. The amount of preference given is not comparable.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:49 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Ditto Jews. It may not seem that way but Jews are underrepresented in colleges when compared to their grades.
Really? I'd like to see data to support that.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:03 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
We would all like to see the data. But we will never see the data on how much racial preferences and racial quotas are affecting the chances of students getting admitted to top colleges. Even though all of these colleges are taxpayer subsidized, this information is kept secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events