U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:14 AM

9,498 posts, read 5,290,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Very sad. I liked obama when he was running because he touted this big RR infrastructure push. That's anonther thing that never happened.
Considering how much obstruction Congressional Republicans have thrown up over the last six years, including the foolhardy and, very expensive, government shutdown, did you really think Obama would get traction with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 08:17 AM

5,719 posts, read 3,668,742 times
I am sure that one of the first things the investigators will look at is the speed the train was going when it entered the curve. Taking a curve at the speed for which it was designed is routine; taking a curve at a greatly higher speed is a recipe for disaster.

It would also be interesting to know if the train was behind schedule at the time. If it was, then it's at least possible that the engineer was speeding to make up for lost time. Just such a circumstance was the cause of a far more serious rail crash in Japan in 2005:

Amagasaki rail crash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, this is all just speculation. First and foremost, prayers for the families of the lost, and for those who were injured.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:21 AM

335 posts, read 355,650 times
Republicans plan huge budget-cutting markup to infrastructure

Investigation launched into fatal Amtrak crash - Kathryn A. Wolfe - POLITICO

The accident comes on the eve of a House Appropriations markup for a fiscal 2016 bill that funds, among other things, Amtrak. The version approved earlier by an appropriations subcommittee contains language that would slash Amtrak’s funding to $1.13 billion, less than the roughly $1.4 billion it typically receives annually.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:38 AM

761 posts, read 640,909 times
Watching as the rescue/cleanup effort continues.

Some people on board were shooting cell phone vids in the midst of the carnage.
Might have been better to lend a helping hand than to post to Face Book or make sure your bff sees it.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:42 AM

9,498 posts, read 5,290,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
Republicans plan huge budget-cutting markup to infrastructure

Investigation launched into fatal Amtrak crash - Kathryn A. Wolfe - POLITICO

The accident comes on the eve of a House Appropriations markup for a fiscal 2016 bill that funds, among other things, Amtrak. The version approved earlier by an appropriations subcommittee contains language that would slash Amtrak’s funding to $1.13 billion, less than the roughly $1.4 billion it typically receives annually.
They will pass it. Guaranteed.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:48 AM

11,758 posts, read 5,559,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Just the money dumped into the cost of the failed state and national websites have been in the high Billions.
I don't know how "high Billions" is defined, but according to Kaiser Family Foundation says $4.7 billion for the federal expenditure, and another $0.5 billion for state exchanges. $5.2 billion. Ridiculously high, I agree. But how does that ever translate into "many trillions" that you referenced in your prior post? What else are you including?

Quote:
Such a huge waste of money just to get websites running. States are even shutting theirs down after pumping massive Millions into their development. Hawaii is the latest.
I agree that there was a huge mismanagement, though it was an unprecedented IT effort in many ways.

But what people don't mention is that the exchanges receive 3.5% of the premiums for policies purchased on the Federal exchange, and between 2-4% for state exchange policies. That could be a lot of money, though I don't have the actual figures. These fees help offset at least some of the start-up costs.

Quote:
Of the 7-8 million on Ocare we probably spent a few Mil on each enrollee. Even then many of them already had coverage and just shifted to Ocare.

It is a failed and expensive program.
Really? "$7-8 million per enrollee" times "few millions per enrollee" is . . . . sorry I failed remedial math. All's I know that that's a lot more money than even God has, like 36 or 37 zeros. What' that, I don't know.

They say that:

Quote:
A report by Jay Angoff, a former Missouri Insurance Commissioner said it cost the federal government an average of $647 to sign up each enrollee on the federal portal, compared to the $1,503 per enrollee on the state-based exchanges.
To be fair, I don't know how exactly they are accounting for the start-up costs in those figures.

In any event, The Federal exchange is working as intended now, and the state exchanges, with some notable exceptions, seem to operate okay. I think it's only like the 5th inning - let's wait and see what happens - unless GOP can figure out a way to take the White House without losing the Senate. But then you know what happens when you try to take away a benefit, people get horribly upset. . . like the SS and Medicare.

Mick

Old 05-13-2015, 09:13 AM

335 posts, read 355,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
They will pass it. Guaranteed.
Yep. Republicans don't care about US infrastructure.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:16 AM

11,758 posts, read 5,559,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
Yep. Republicans don't care about US infrastructure.
And Amtrak will cut the train routes where their constituents live, because those routes in low density areas are money-losers while the routes connecting major cities (e.g., Northeast Corridor) tend to be much more lucrative. Counterproductive, but hey.

Mick

Old 05-13-2015, 09:27 AM

7,056 posts, read 4,019,733 times
This is terrible news. I won't bring Politics into it, but yes they need to keep up the railroad tracks and equipment better,
people have died, and more lives are at stake if they don't address this issue.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:31 AM

48,516 posts, read 84,044,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
It's a tragic loss but hopefully this makes more Americans wake up and demand that Washington invest more money in our crumbling infrastructure instead of world police missions. A significant number of our bridges, highways, and rails are in need of replacement. I believe the ASCE rated US infrastructure a D+ which is terrible. Sad that people have to die before anything gets done.
Hopefully it makes Amtrak improve their infrastructure. All others do it so they should or certainly not operate that line. But it seems that 800 billion should have been used as intended on infrastructure. The reality that it wasn't should wake people up on not specifically targeting use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or