Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 05:51 PM

163 posts, read 124,464 times

Advertisements

I think the driver of the train was sleeping. Solutions to this could be that the conductor has to touch something on the controls or the train slows down. Or there could be two people running the train. Or have something like what they have for planes, tower control. Only in this case, there's a camera and capability to run the train from elsewhere. There's been far too many problems lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 06:00 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,962,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Anyone know the name of the engineer?
I think they gave the name of the engineer on the NBC Nightly News a bit earlier this evening but I don't remember what it was.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:01 PM

12,000 posts, read 12,845,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think they gave the name of the engineer on the NBC Nightly News a bit earlier this evening but I don't remember what it was.
Yeah, from Queens, NY.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Damn Germans.

But seriously, you might be right in that, how does a train that is supposed to be running at 50 mph end up at 100 mph? I suppose it could happen due to malfunction, etc.

Mick
Maybe the train gained speed by going downhill.

Or maybe the conductor fell asleep with his/her foot on the throttle.

Perhaps when the conductor fell asleep, the bottle of whiskey that caused the stupor fell onto the control panel and fried the whole system.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
This has nothing to do with democrats, republicans or infrastructure. It's about an engineer wearing a headscarf for Islam. It's terrorism, but we'll never hear that from Obama or the news media.
And that headscarf was blown off by the wind, covering the conductor's face. The conductor had to fight with the headscarf to get it off his face, but by then it was too late.

Seriously though, it really could be terrorism. Good point.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:16 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,228,489 times
Quote:
Anyone know the name of the engineer?
32yrold Brandon Bostian. I heard on the news he lawyered up right after the accident.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/GMABig/amtr...ry?id=31023810

Old 05-13-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Why haven't we seen photos of the engineer? Hmmmm. Could he...oh,..be mistaken for a middle easterner by stupid Americans who cling tightly to their Bibles and their guns?

It's being covered up! Already they are scrambling to spare the followers of Islam any shame.
Yess! You are right. Usually there's a perp walk of some kind, though in these cases the conductor never gets charged with a crime. Apparently, rail employees have a key to the city.

Very good point, that Java Coffee you're drinking is good stuff. That conductor's picture would usually be splashed all over the place. There's no stats about him either (I'm assuming the driver was male).

Old 05-13-2015, 06:18 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,870,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculator View Post
Maybe the train gained speed by going downhill.
Not in the area it was in.

Quote:
Or maybe the conductor fell asleep with his/her foot on the throttle.
Locomotives don't have gas pedals, all hand controls, so not out of the question.

Quote:
Perhaps when the conductor fell asleep, the bottle of whiskey that caused the stupor fell onto the control panel and fried the whole system.
Far more likely than your first scenario.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Locomotives don't have gas pedals, all hand controls, so not out of the question.
I had a feeling as I was writing it. Ok, had his hand or foot on the throttle while sleeping. When his headscarf blew onto his face, he swatting at it while still asleep, thereby hitting the gas.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:31 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,036,693 times
Quote:
Why haven't we seen photos of the engineer? Hmmmm. Could he...oh,..be mistaken for a middle easterner by stupid Americans who cling tightly to their Bibles and their guns?

It's being covered up! Already they are scrambling to spare the followers of Islam any shame.

Wow, I like a good conspiracy theory as much as anyone, but that's a bit out there. So, you believe The Islamists are attempting to take over the world through lone acts of terror?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events