U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 03:36 PM

4,566 posts, read 2,329,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Is "a group of youths" now a new euphemism for "thugs" as "thugs" defined in a nearby tread?
Just want to be up to date with modern vocabulary.
obviously when you use "air-quotes" its meant to be a euphemism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 06:28 PM

20,632 posts, read 16,673,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Why is it necessary to complain about appropriate word? Thug = criminally violent. That covers the case being mentioned.

One would thing the bigger concern here is the safety of decent people.
The question asked was "Is thug a word for black youth misbehaving?" I answered that I think it is being used that way, and was asked to explain why I think that, which I did. I don't recall complaining or expressing concern nor even making a moral judgement about it, please point out where I did any of those things.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:15 AM

4,881 posts, read 2,356,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How about a group of youths? when you read "man beaten by 50 youths" versus "man beaten by 50 thugs" do you see how one is designed to let you know in advance the race of the kids? Why is it necessary to do that, period?

I don't equate "thug" with meaning black youth. Thug to me is a big burly white italian working for the mob or a boat dock worker - too many movies I guess.

I think your the one equating "thug" to black youths as that is what the police commissioner and mayor of Baltimore called them - so maybe you better call them up and express your displeasure.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:11 AM

26,867 posts, read 19,103,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I don't equate "thug" with meaning black youth. Thug to me is a big burly white italian working for the mob or a boat dock worker - too many movies I guess.

I think your the one equating "thug" to black youths as that is what the police commissioner and mayor of Baltimore called them - so maybe you better call them up and express your displeasure.
Obama called them the same thing.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:52 AM

20,632 posts, read 16,673,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post

What I said was, if you look at the threads on City Data that have thug in the title, most if not all are about black crime. I then said the definition doesn't matter as much as how people are using it. Obviously I wasn't speaking for ALL people, and I am glad you are not one of the ones I was talking about. It doesn't change the fact that IMO many people are using it to mean black youth. Again, I don't know what you're talking about with displeasure. I haven't passed any judgement at all, just stated what I think and why in answer to the question the thread asked. Where did I express "my displeasure?"

Old 05-16-2015, 09:23 AM

244 posts, read 193,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What I said was, if you look at the threads on City Data that have thug in the title, most if not all are about black crime. I then said the definition doesn't matter as much as how people are using it. Obviously I wasn't speaking for ALL people, and I am glad you are not one of the ones I was talking about. It doesn't change the fact that IMO many people are using it to mean black youth. Again, I don't know what you're talking about with displeasure. I haven't passed any judgement at all, just stated what I think and why in answer to the question the thread asked. Where did I express "my displeasure?"
Well said. Thread titles referencing "thugs" and "youths" are wink-wink, nudge-nudge bait designed to lure in a certain subset of posters who delight in saying some version of: "I knew what the person would look like before I even opened the thread!" Or the more succint: "A black person. Why am I not surprised?"

Old 05-16-2015, 09:41 AM
PJA

2,392 posts, read 2,483,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
If 50 kids beat someone we already have a good idea of their race.
yes because only children of one race would ever fight or beat up someone

Old 05-16-2015, 10:37 PM

5,582 posts, read 4,355,982 times
Quote:
Is "a group of youths" now a new euphemism for "thugs" as "thugs" defined in a nearby tread?
Watch that language, I've heard that youths is the new n word.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:33 AM

11,758 posts, read 5,554,481 times
A group of youths (of any color) definitely has a potential to be thugs. Be cautious. Damn youngins.

Mick

Old 05-17-2015, 11:35 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,296,531 times
Quote:
A group of youths can be thugs but it is not the end all description of every group of youths you will see throughout your lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events