U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 03:53 PM

15,398 posts, read 8,704,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
While I am not sure if it is necessary or appropriate, I must observe that none of you live in Ferguson and your taxes did not pay for the plaque or road maintenance. The mayor approved it as a compromise to remove the impromptu memorial, which was prohibited from being removed per an injunction (assuming what I read was correct). Sounds reasonable to me.

Mick
Well, I may not be directly paying for it, but I do live in a country where we don't negotiate with terrorists. Which is pretty much what this is - give us our memorial, or we'll torch your town......

Old 05-21-2015, 03:53 PM

7,977 posts, read 3,748,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hmm. Permanent civic memorial to a thug? - This might be a city devolving into crime infested ruin. Or - How to make your city a laughing stock on the world stage.

Ferguson unveils permanent Michael Brown memorial plaque

(Pants Up, Don't Loot)
Aside from the whole racial aspect of this incident, I really don't understand how a movement can be built on a faulty foundation.

If ever a case could be made for excessive use of force by LE to start a national debate bout, it would be the cop shooting the fleeing man in the back. You don't start it with a criminal who just committed a robbery, then attacks a policeman and dies as a result.
You also do not take the word of his accomplice that creates a catch phrase of "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" which has been proved to be a lie.
Yet some in the black civil rights movement want to perpetuate this false narrative by making a martyr out of Brown.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:03 PM

11,759 posts, read 5,220,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Well, I may not be directly paying for it, but I do live in a country where we don't negotiate with terrorists. Which is pretty much what this is - give us our memorial, or we'll torch your town......
To be precise, it is more like, "we will install a plaque if all of you promise to stop leaving hundreds of stuffed bears and crap in the middle of Canfield Avenue." I wouldn't go as far as calling it a terroristic act.

Mick

Old 05-21-2015, 04:04 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,907,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
pathetic that this country caters to the LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR

Way to set the bar for future generations...well gotta go...im quitting my job and gonna go out and shoot some peeps, gotta get some street cred...

Anyone have any tips on jeans and boxer combinations...I gotsta wear em low but not to low if ya know what im sayin

also...glock or revolver???

I need some gold for my grill...will fake gold tarnish my teeth?
No, but it will make your mouth look fat!

Old 05-21-2015, 04:06 PM

10,567 posts, read 11,670,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You all need to stop watching MSM TV. The Revolution will not be televised.

Who would pay for advertising??
I loved Revolution on NBC, but it was canceled.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:09 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,907,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Biggest part of the city's history for now. And it did help spark a Revolution. There's probably a lot worse people (morally) who have monuments and statues if you really want to be real about it.

Also. None of you know exactly what happened.
As if some of the "witnesses", some inside houses or a hundred yards away, did?

Like SHES, it was a media frenzy and they controlled every aspect of it all.

Can you fill us in?

Old 05-21-2015, 05:52 PM

30,582 posts, read 9,141,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hmm. Permanent civic memorial to a thug? - This might be a city devolving into crime infested ruin. Or - How to make your city a laughing stock on the world stage.

Ferguson unveils permanent Michael Brown memorial plaque

(Pants Up, Don't Loot)

Unbelievable, isn't it? Notice the picture isn't a still shot of the film showing him stealing, chest-bumping, and intimidating a business owner shortly before he was shot. The graduation pics are always dragged out.

A family mourning a relative is one thing. Erecting a public memorial to a known thug is something else.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:38 PM

15 posts, read 16,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'd predict the Steel and gold plague will be stolen within the year and sold for scrap.
Funny

What's next? A Michael Brown Holiday? Pants down -- filled with loot -- don't shoot?

Ferguson doesn't represent all of St. Louis you guys know. Most adamant protestors of the protestors and the events of Ferguson live in St. Louis. Hopefully, there's sympathy for us.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:33 PM

15,312 posts, read 16,886,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Courts found the cop not guilty. None of the evidence presented painted him as guilty, other than witnesses who couldn't get their stories straight.
No, they did NOT find the cops not guilty. They found that there was not enough evidence to INDICT which is a totally different matter.

Given the fact that the grand jury proceedings were full of errors on the part of the prosecutors the result was to be expected.

Since there was no trial of the cops, there is NO not guilty verdict.

Now, read the DOJ report in full - it is 102 pages. It talks about the Ferguson police department not about the particular cops in the Michael Brown case.

Many Conservatives are Blowing it on the Ferguson DOJ Report | RedState

Quote:
Even if you read only the parts of the Ferguson DOJ report that come directly from the files of the FPD (which is to say, files that would be most favorable to the Department), the report paints an incredibly damning picture of the Ferguson Police Department. No conservative on earth should feel comfortable with the way the Ferguson PD has been operating for years, even according to their own documents.
PDF here:
http://www.justice.gov/sites/default...ent_report.pdf

As for the monument, those of you who would deface it are JUST as much thugs as those you decry. Leave it alone. Let the people of the town grieve in peace.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:11 PM

13,467 posts, read 5,243,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
People get the government that they vote for and this is disgusting. Michael Brown was a thug and that is his legacy, no matter how they try to rewrite history. Not only is this a slap in the face to Officer Wilson, but also to the shop keepers who were terrorized by Brown, the people of Ferguson who understand the truth, and to every law-abiding citizen.

I continue to be outraged when I do not hear any politician or even local citizens rebuke the behaviors of these thugs. When government permits professional protesters to take over a town, law-abiding citizens and business owners should be very worried. This plaque says that the thugs and jerks win. Shame on the Ferguson mayor and the Brown family. I guess it is the 15 minutes of fame thing; they are despicable people.
It's been long past time for a degree of honesty. That candor is sorely lacking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
pathetic that this country caters to the LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR
How about roads named Malcolm X Boulevard? (link) Or this situation:
Renaming street for slain Officer Phillip Cardillo could 'open old wounds' .

Last edited by jbgusa; 05-21-2015 at 08:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.