Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 11:22 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,390,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Yes I did, only I mistitled it. It should have been titled "proof Americans are the stupidest people on earth, read this thread for irrefutable evidence".
Youre the one stupid enough to live somewhere that charges you $200+ a month for water....then comes on here complaining that all 40 million of your neighbors are takin' all yer watta!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 12:00 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,521,434 times
A couple of observations. I studied Hydrology, Water supply and use, and a number of related subjects while in college a few decades ago. Water supply, both natural and manmade, is a very well known discipline.

Obs 1: Back in the 1960's and 70's there was a huge water transfer scheme created to solve the water supply problems of the desert southwest by transferring huge amounts of water from Canadian Rivers that drained into the Arctic Ocean. The creators considered this water to be wasted so using it in California was a good idea. Just look up the North American Water and Power Alliance. NAWAPA was an example of terraforming on a grand scale. The plan is still there but the project seems to be dead for now.

Obs. 2: While I was travelling between Albuquerque and Santa Fe by the Railrunner train I noted the extensive system of Aquicitas (canals) designed to provide irrigation to a set of small farms. These canals are no longer being maintained as there are hoards of cottonwood trees growing on the banks of the canals. If the canals were being used that would not be allowed.

I think these farms that are near ideal for growing vegetables were abandoned because these crops could be grown with subsidized water in California. If the Central Valley farmers had to use lass water the prices of vegetables might just rise enough to make farming the upper Rio Grande valley economically possible. If California crops became expensive enough maybe we could grow winter vegetable in huge greenhouses or even underground salt mines.

Both of these are examples of very large and very small projects. I suggest one way to start resolving the water crisis in Arizona and California is to rewrite the Colorado River Accord to reflect the current water flows and demographics. The other is to start a bidding system to determine the distribution. Much of this crisis has been created in an unsuccessful attempt to control the market price of water by tradition and government enforcements. It is obviously not working.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,501,051 times
Quote:
Exactly where did you get your degree in agriculture? California's farmland is the most productive in the country, by far. You see, water is only one factor in growing crops, but you will always have simpletons who have big opinions and small minds.
Actually, I did attend an agriculture college! My degree is from SUNY Cobleskill.

Farmland that is as used as California isn't that great. It's overused. You have to put soooooo much back into it to just keep it going.

Water is a HUGE factor in growing anything. California for the most part is a desert. Farming began there because land was cheap. No one was worried about water. There weren't millions of residents. There weren't millions of acres of farmland either when it all began.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:41 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,255,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
A couple of observations. I studied Hydrology, Water supply and use, and a number of related subjects while in college a few decades ago. Water supply, both natural and manmade, is a very well known discipline.

Obs 1: Back in the 1960's and 70's there was a huge water transfer scheme created to solve the water supply problems of the desert southwest by transferring huge amounts of water from Canadian Rivers that drained into the Arctic Ocean. The creators considered this water to be wasted so using it in California was a good idea. Just look up the North American Water and Power Alliance. NAWAPA was an example of terraforming on a grand scale. The plan is still there but the project seems to be dead for now.

Obs. 2: While I was travelling between Albuquerque and Santa Fe by the Railrunner train I noted the extensive system of Aquicitas (canals) designed to provide irrigation to a set of small farms. These canals are no longer being maintained as there are hoards of cottonwood trees growing on the banks of the canals. If the canals were being used that would not be allowed.

I think these farms that are near ideal for growing vegetables were abandoned because these crops could be grown with subsidized water in California. If the Central Valley farmers had to use lass water the prices of vegetables might just rise enough to make farming the upper Rio Grande valley economically possible. If California crops became expensive enough maybe we could grow winter vegetable in huge greenhouses or even underground salt mines.

Both of these are examples of very large and very small projects. I suggest one way to start resolving the water crisis in Arizona and California is to rewrite the Colorado River Accord to reflect the current water flows and demographics. The other is to start a bidding system to determine the distribution. Much of this crisis has been created in an unsuccessful attempt to control the market price of water by tradition and government enforcements. It is obviously not working.

Thank you for an intelligent post.

I was beginning to think this was a re-run of Idiocracy.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:47 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,358,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
I suspect there will come a day in the not so distant future when California will no longer be able to provide anywhere near as much of the food supply as they do currently. I can't think of a single thing grown in CA that can't be grown somewhere else in the world, quite a bit of it right here in the USA. CA wines are already being partially replaced on the menus in many places by wines from the PNW, Australia, South America and other places......
Wine production is moving to many places on the East coast where there is plenty of water.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,501,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Wine production is moving to many places on the East coast where there is plenty of water.
Wine production in NY dates back to the 1800's and has been here the entire time. It's not moving here.....it's been here for over 100 years......there's just more of it now.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:14 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,671,589 times
Quote:
Thank you for an intelligent post.

I was beginning to think this was a re-run of Idiocracy.
Maybe you and other MENSA members should lock yourselves up in a private room and speak among yourselves as to not have to deal with us common folk.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:08 PM

421 posts, read 407,834 times

Old 05-27-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Youre the one stupid enough to live somewhere that charges you $200+ a month for water....then comes on here complaining that all 40 million of your neighbors are takin' all yer watta!
Yes, I am sure that would pay a months space rent on a doublewide where you are.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Maybe you and other MENSA members should lock yourselves up in a private room and speak among yourselves as to not have to deal with us common folk.
Uh oh... someone got butthurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events